1987 Toyota 4x4 Van- BENJI - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 45
you always do really nice work man. thansk for posting

Swedish American :usa:
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
you always do really nice work man. thansk for posting
Thanks man!

It's got a little ways to go yet. but definitely getting there.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Ugly ass van, but I too always wanted one.
I couldn’t agree more. Looks a cool ugly fun project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
I couldn’t agree more. Looks a cool ugly fun project.
Yup... the wife has dubbed it the U.F.O. (Unidentified Fugly Object).

Doesn't stop her and the dog always wanting to ride in it.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Sweet rig! Looks like a ton of fun! Trailer looks good. You or uncle got any nights in it? Very cool.

For your cargo area, build a platform over some built in storage. Could make your bed convert to a couch or lift up to reveal more storage.

Cook area could be built in to back door where shelving flips down to hold your heat source and create a work surface.

Flatscreen could mount in the door up high so you can watch from inside or open the door to watch it from camp.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Got super busy with a few other projects and hadn't had time to sort the back of it out yet for camping... but it's been my daily driver! The pig f350 sits around now.

Gonna have some time to start fabbing stuff for the back pretty soon and have a few layout ideas on paper for it. Will post some up when I can!

And yah, the cook area is definitely going at the rear hatch. Would be nice to have a canopy over you in the weather I think... I also need ideas for a crank up table of some sort.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
When I was a kid in the 80s my friends parents had one of those that they let us drive around. I love those little vans.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
When I was a kid in the 80s my friends parents had one of those that they let us drive around. I love those little vans.
In all seriousness, for where I'm at right now in life, this thing is just to much fun!!!

Perfect little run around town, camping rig. It's actually proved really capable!

Will have to post some outing trips I've taken it on already... Few overnight camp/ fishing trips and lots of dirt road pounding in it to date.
It's just nimble and tiny enough to squeeze in the little trails around here and it's a bit of a mountain goat when climbing.
The dog takes advantage of the big open space in the back also...

Mileage has been consistently around 18-19 town and 22-23 on longer stretches!

Thing gets a lot of inquires too... Always get either weird looks or giggles when I roll down the road, but most people are kind of interested in it. It's unique! Already trying to figure a way to squeeze some 30's under it... and considering a 7.5" arb for the rear end.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quick update...

I got the A/C working again. Took one can of sealant, a couple of cans of R12 substitute and it cooled right up. Running the A/C it's pushing about 50* through the vents now. Learning curve on this little van has been interesting too. The cooling system on these is sort of fragile, so I spent a couple of hours putting in a new fan clutch today. What would take like 15 minutes on a toy pickup takes quite a while on these things! Have to rip pretty much the entire cab apart to make a repair. Seats get removed, engine lid/s get removed then you have to sneak around in there like a hobbit to get at things... fun and a pain at the same time, but my cooling system is optimized now!

Planning a couple nights camping trip over the upcoming weekend as well, gotta scout out a couple of newish hunting areas! Finally made a bit of progress on the back part also, little sleeping platform and whatnot. Starting to come along now!

Sorry didn't snap any pics yet but will over the weekend.

Last edited by flecker; 07-15-2019 at 12:24 AM.
flecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Added some navigation today in the form of a Samsung Galaxy Tablet A with built in GPS and Bluetooth so I can link it with my Bluetooth Stereo in Benji.

The mount I ended up using is made by Akron and it is STOUT. All metal design and beefy. Has quite a few options to orient the mount, so it can be tilted, in any direction... pretty awesome. Cruising roads around town and the highway it is flawless and doesn't even budge. It will be tested on the backroads this weekend whilst camping.

The apps for mapping are Google maps, Maps and me, and Backcountry Navigator for the topos.. The GPS function on this tablet is pretty dam impressive! Doesn't skip a beat.

Piccy's:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by flecker; 07-15-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 23744
So I finally got tired of not having storage or a sleeping platform to lay on when camping. I mocked up a box to test out on the last outing and test drove it for a couple of nights.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Worked great! Actually fit my queen sized trifold on it... and had plenty of cubic feet for storage. So started laying it out and building the compartments for it after we got back home. I managed to create 8 separate compartments to house all of our camping/ misc. goods with room to spare!

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I wrapped it all with some carpet and made it fairly comfy, errr splinterless!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For a little van the thing still has a pretty dam good amount of room in the back. Adequate enough to accommodate 2 peoples and the part hyena dog of ours, "Megatron"... Has roughly 8'6" to the back of the driver/ passengers seats!

Still have a few panels to mock up and several things to get done. I'll be hitting the bare areas with some vinyl wrap and some little trim pieces I need to make. Time consuming crap.

Solar set up, marine batt, inverter and whatnot, but it's getting a bit more dialed in now! I'm still hanging a little 27" tv in it, ha ha

Last edited by flecker; 07-27-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:17 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 23744
So I finally bit the bullet and got a new windshield... two warnings later from the same public servant.

The windshield was the og 32 year old piece of glass. It was time, the thing was getting kind of hard to see out of with all the scratches and cracks.

When I went back to pick the thing up some cat walked through the door and was asking the girl behind the desk if it was for sale... so I tapped the guy on the shoulder and mentioned that it was mine. I told him I was kind of finishing some things up on it and hadn't planned on selling the thing (I want to enjoy it for at least a while). He followed me out and asked if he could take a look at it.

"Sure, why not?". We talked about it for about 20 minutes in the parking lot as he strolled around it asking questions. What's been done to it and so on. He offered me $7500 on the spot! These things apparently have a sort of cult following and are gaining some popularity, especially the 5 speed, manual 4x4's.

I'm keeping the fugly thing. I've put some hours into this thing now, and my total investment to date is roughly 3k... kinda nice to know it's worth a little sumtin sumtin though! Stupid thing isn't even finished yet.

I know... "cool story bro".
Old 07-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 16468
Fantastic build
Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
Fantastic build
Thanks man! Having a lot of fun with it thus far!
This thing is kind of a mixed bag to work on. Gotta be creative at times picking and choosing the battles due to parts availability. Had to order a couple parts from overseas a while back... And what you can't get, you become really innovative!

The wife is away for the day, so I am gonna spend some time finishing off the interior (hopefully, making all the crap from scratch is kinds time consuming).

Went on a little Amazon spree to get the rest of the back area ready to rock. cushion covers and tv mount.

I need to find a decent priced agm deep cycle batt. with a 100amphour rating or so to run the little 1000w inverter off of. Already looking at a 100 watt foldable solar charging set up that I can stow in the back. I figured that should be enough to power tv, laptop's, phone chargers and some more little stuff...

Yah, I'm having a blast with this thing.

Will post up some more finished pics later tonight hopefully!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 23744
O, made a bit more progress today on Benji... and I gotta say I'm really liking the way the sleeping platform/ arrangements have worked out! Really like having the 3 piece mattress set up to configure a few different ways. Works for the wife and I going out or just me on some fishing/ hunting/ camping trips solo. Also wrapped up the rest of the panels and am just waiting on the vinyl wrap to get here. About 90% done with this build now!

Panels getting made (these things are time consuming, a bit of trial and error for those odd sized pieces to get to fit right). Had to make about 80% of the panels this way...

Finished product fit's well!

Also got my mattress cushion covers, gray of course.

Heres the full bed set up. Sleeps the wife and I comfortably and PLENTY of space for the dog as well. Can slide the whole bed towards the cab to have some access to the bins at the back door as well (nice little access to pistol, water, laptop/ tablet or whatnot.

Last thing left to do is rig up some sort of support for the edge of the platform pice that sits adjacent to the engine "hump". Kind of hesitant to drill into it for some style of mounting bracket... but I did put a couple of milk crates in the space and found they actually fit perfect. May just rock those for now.

Getting there.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Took the van for a nice trip up to the top of Greens Peak today! Only about 35-40 minutes from the house... Right around 10,110 feet in elevation. Nice little storm was brewing when we hit the top, and it just poured all the way down the mountain and all the way home.
This set up is working REALLY well. Tested the GPS all the way through our drive, and it performed flawlessly! It's a semi remote area, and the offline maps never skipped a beat for both the Maps.me app and Backcountry navigator.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 86646
Great build man!

Gonna sub it.

That long front bumper looks like a good place to put a winch if needed.
Or cut it down for more approach angle?
thetastelingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Years ago a guy sent me a couple of videos of some guys from somewhere outside the states flogging those little vans in mud and rocks.
Yours came out great I hope it gives you many years of fun!
Tab A as a GPS is interesting since I happen to have a spare I would have to come up with a different mounting system. No holes drilled in Dash kind of thing.

Last edited by bigun; 08-01-2019 at 06:43 AM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Gonna need a turbo pretty soon.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Give ya tree fiddy for it!

Looks

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Needs to take it to Turbo Yoda at Skid Factory in Australia just the trip would be epic after he has to take off the brakes and clutch and anything else that might have asbestos and then gets it certified clean
Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
Great build man!

Gonna sub it.

That long front bumper looks like a good place to put a winch if needed.
Or cut it down for more approach angle?
Theres a couple of ideas I had after measuring... a Ford Ranger believe it or not has close to the same dimensions on the front. Looked at a couple styles that could be hacked and made to fit the front of the van. Could sneak the control wiring behind the "Toyota" plate fairly easy.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Years ago a guy sent me a couple of videos of some guys from somewhere outside the states flogging those little vans in mud and rocks.
Yours came out great I hope it gives you many years of fun!
Tab A as a GPS is interesting since I happen to have a spare I would have to come up with a different mounting system. No holes drilled in Dash kind of thing.
They are hearty little things, I'll say that! A few of the things I pulled out to rebuild had me scratching my head. There was really no way the alternator should have even worked with the PS fluid bath it had taken over the years... brushes soaked in oil and the diodes looked pretty crusty. Just kept chuggin along.

And yup, the Samsung gps has been impressive! I had my doubts also, but thought worst case it would be handy whilst traveling. Turned out to be a cool investment for just that. Bought a huge sd card for it and can store tons of map info on it for offline use, as well as music and movies downloaded for rainy day breaks.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post

This little 4Y is a BEAST! 105 Horses man. It's a doggie little thing on the hills, pretty much reminds me of the 4runner with the 22RE in it. 3rd gearing hills at 45-55 mph...

I have NO idea where one would even fit a turbo in this thing. A 3RZ option could be cool though, AND it would just bolt up to the current trans.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #50 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post

This little 4Y is a BEAST! 105 Horses man. It's a doggie little thing on the hills, pretty much reminds me of the 4runner with the 22RE in it. 3rd gearing hills at 45-55 mph...

I have NO idea where one would even fit a turbo in this thing. A 3RZ option could be cool though, AND it would just bolt up to the current trans.
And you can get a supercharger for a 3RZ.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in