1987 Toyota 4x4 Van- BENJI - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
And yup, the Samsung gps has been impressive! I had my doubts also, but thought worst case it would be handy whilst traveling. Turned out to be a cool investment for just that. Bought a huge sd card for it and can store tons of map info on it for offline use, as well as music and movies downloaded for rainy day breaks.
Ended up with a spare, I broke the screen and replaced when I was at my Aunt's in Phoenix, when I got home it wouldn't connect to the internet so I thought I had screwed up the replacement, then found out it was my router! Duh so now I have a spare How big of an SD card did you use
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Ended up with a spare, I broke the screen and replaced when I was at my Aunt's in Phoenix, when I got home it wouldn't connect to the internet so I thought I had screwed up the replacement, then found out it was my router! Duh so now I have a spare How big of an SD card did you use
I used a San Disk 128GB card I got from Amazon. PLENTY of space for everything. I think the maps all totaled were only like 3 GB's.

However, with all the Netflix/ Amazon movies I downloaded to watch whilst out and about camping theres STILL tons of room left. It's like 3-4gb's per download.

Also added a ton of music to it... about 5gb worth.

Last edited by flecker; 08-01-2019 at 09:21 AM.
flecker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Awesome van!

Old 08-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 192237
rofl forklift motor.

dig it, the interior work looks awesome
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 23744
So I spent this evening modifying the cooling system to a degree (pun intended). Like mentioned before, the cooling system on these vans seem to be the weak spot. When I initially went through the engine bay I noticed a few things about the system that seemed to be stumbling blocks for it. This was contrary to what maintenance I did. New h2o pump, rad. flush, new fan clutch, Toyota t-stat and the typical crap you do with a 30+ year old vehicle.

First, the radiator really isn't in the best position for air flow. It's in front of the engine, with a short window of air that feeds in from the bottom f the van through about a 4 or 5" gap between the cab. While your rolling slow (35 or under), the fan probably pulls in an adequate amount of air to keep the radiator cooled. However when you pick up some speed I think the bulk of air just gets swept under the rig. I have noticed the temp creep just slightly at higher speeds.

Second, the engine bay is basically just a steel box and just cooks when you run it hard and shut the engine off. It immediately cools down once you fire it up and the fan clutch is engaged but it always stumbles a bit due to some heat soak on the fuel rails.

Third, when you run the A/C the temp starts to creep a bit also. Everything mentioned is fairly normal, but I was really looking just to supplement the cooling system at higher speeds with a direct air vented radiator (heater core actually) right in the front.

Enter the small heater core addition to help the cooling process. The design of the van see's the heater core lines fall right through the passenger side at the front of the van. Lines up great for the addition of a separate heater core to be air cooled directly behind the grill! So one side gets teed in from the return side, and the other from the inlet side before the heater control valve.

This addition worked like a champ! Dropped the temp from around half way up to about a third up the gauge. AND when the temps are hotter with the A/C blasting it runs at a cool halfway mark, where before it climbed a bit more than I was comfortable with. WooT! May not look like much, but it made a 15 degree difference from 190 to 175*. It's the little things.

Planning another outing sometime next weekend~ Should be good. Found a herd of elk in the hundreds! Bit of a haul to get out her but should be worth the star gazing and elk watching.

Last edited by flecker; 08-06-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 29037
First time you hit a snow bank and that is hot should be epic!
Elk watching is that the same as scouting?
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I watched 4x4 Toyota van videos last night and searching classifieds with zero luck
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I watched 4x4 Toyota van videos last night and searching classifieds with zero luck
Toyotavantech.com

They have a for sale section, but I think you have to join there to see it.

Mostly left coast hippies, but they have some ok tech for these things. The site owner/ admin Tim is a bit of top notch van mechanic. I was already banned and given demerits for being "snarky". Though I was allowed back in, I don't post any tech there anymore... I'd rather just post my own thing over here.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Drinkin the koolaid?

Toyotavantech.com

They have a for sale section, but I think you have to join it to see it.
They are spendy....like VW vanagon spendy!

There is a Lite Ace GXL on eBay now for 15G. Hate to bust up those roof windows!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
They are spendy....like VW vanagon spendy!

There is a Lite Ace GXL on eBay now for 15G. Hate to bust up those roof windows!

Uhm, no. I paid 9 hundo for this one (guy didn't know what he had, and I had no idea what I was getting).... Your looking at the right hand drive imports. For whatever reason, those things get a crazy premium. Look for the first gen van's between 86-89. They came in the 4x4 variety. Many can be had for 2-3k depending on condition and what it would take to make them right. And if they are in great shape maybe 7-10k for one. Granted they can be hard to find in some areas.

I wouldn't have ever plopped down money like that for one.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Like so...

https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/...928912964.html
Old 08-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Uhm, no. I paid 9 hundo for this one (guy didn't know what he had, and I had no idea what I was getting).... Your looking at the right hand drive imports. For whatever reason, those things get a crazy premium. Look for the first gen van's between 86-89. They came in the 4x4 variety. Many can be had for 2-3k depending on condition and what it would take to make them right. And if they are in great shape maybe 7-10k for one. Granted they can be hard to find in some areas.

I wouldn't have ever plopped down money like that for one.
I get that, this was just a quick search and most videos I watched last night were in the US, but all RHD imports like I linked above.

That CL linked IMO is about $1900 too much

Last edited by Bones; 08-06-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
I get that, this was just a quick search and most videos I watched last night were in the US, but all RHD imports like I linked above.
I know that a lot of these little vans didn't survive in the NE and Midwest for whatever reason. They seemed to thrive in the south and west coast though. I see them pop up in the desert areas too from time to time, but they are becoming kind of a collectors classic now. The things are over 30 years old, and require some major work... nothing guys like us at this place are afraid of, but for lots of people that have them sitting around it's daunting or overwhelming to think about ripping into it for repairs. And most mechanics won't fawk with them

I know one thing... when they are fixed up they easily fetch a good price!

Like that one I posted above. It's an auto, but fixed up and cleaned up it's a 4-6k vehicle pending on condition. Maybe more in some cases. The 5 speed 4wd are more rare and get a better price from the collectors from what I am seeing.

Last edited by flecker; 08-06-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:

That CL linked IMO is about $1900 too much
It is... It needs some work. Mine was a bit worse off than that one I think! Remember when you could still get a VW bus for sort of reasonable? Thats where these are right now... sort of reasonable.

Not to far down the road, they will be getting quite a bit more I think.

Last edited by flecker; 08-06-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
First time you hit a snow bank and that is hot should be epic!
Elk watching is that the same as scouting?
I wish I was scouting... didn't get drawn for jack this year.
Always have over the counter deer/ archery though, grouse and rabbit hunt in September/October. Gonna put in for Javelina, so maybe I'll get a tag there...
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Benji gets a new exhaust...

The catalytic was missing when I got the thing, and the muffler was more or less toasted and there were a few exhaust leaks. It rattled like a tin can with rocks in it for way to long. So needless to say a new system from the cat back was in order! Being that you can't find parts, and least of all an exhaust system I had to cobble together my own. New cat, muffler and piping set me back right at 90 bucks. Few beers, some fitting and tacking and BAM! All quiet on the western front now! Perfect little addition to the little hunt/ camper van. Now I can sneak through the woods all stealthy like.

Old crappy muffler/ exhaust:

New exhaust with cat and new muffler

Installed and nicely tucked away~ SUPER quiet now!

Last edited by flecker; 09-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
Super cool, love me a unique rig! Look forward to following this for years to come
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
koh19 pit crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - pit crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - pit crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 pit crew: 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
Super cool, love me a unique rig! Look forward to following this for years to come
Thanks man! I have been super impressed with this goofy looking little van so far! It just goes and goes... Pretty neat too that I can park the thing anywhere and just crash out comfortably in the back if I am tired or just want a weekend of camping/ hunting without pitching a tent. Ha.

Typical Toyota engineering (ie; reliable, and able to take some abuse), but I will say that routine maintenance is definitely more of a hassle than usual. You can't just pop the hood and go to town. If theres any major service, like pulling the radiator or changing a water pump, it's an "hours" long adventure because of where the engine is crammed. You'll have to remove seats, engine cover access points and whatnot. Not a biggie though really, just do everything up front, like with any old vehicle we obtain and call it good...

This thing has been a serious blast to just roll around in.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #69 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Fuck you.

Your shop is too clean, your work too nice, your projects too quick to complete.

So fuck you.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Thank you Plym. so very nice of you to drop in and say hi.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 23744
So bird season started up here a couple of weeks ago and that prompted another camping trip to the high country... about a 40 minute drive from home.

Had the co-pilot Megatron along and the elk were just starting to bugle for our evening entertainment. We camped right next to a little knoll off the 117 road (technically a mile or so off of that, the 8990 road), in a cool little camp spot I have been to a few times throughout the years, My buddy Dave even managed to show in the morning to hunt with me.

Good times!

Trusty Co pilot... always there to nudge me when she wants to stop.

Camp spot… that view! Lot's of stars and critters through the night here, never disappoints.

Couple elk out early in the meadow across from our camp.

Our bounty! Yum... prolly dinner for tomorrow.

Will be doing a few more things to Benji in the next couple weeks to make it more roadworthy. Nothing to serious, just a couple mechanical things and some interior additions to make camping more enjoyable. Needs more lights and the tv mounted... would love to attach the tablet to a larger flatscreen to scope out maps on a bigger screen. HA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in