Pirate 4x4 banner

1 ton Man Fort...

182K views 251 replies 88 participants last post by  B.A.R.K 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck :D...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick

Attachments

See less See more
#144 ·
Nope not me, but I have been driving it the last few days in Reno.

Motivation doesn't care what time or day it is....it alludes me most days but it struck tonight. I got the door pan finished and painted the door trim and window for final install but the *free* putty tape from the RV store was too stuck to itself to use...so off to the RV store next week to buy some and install the door for good.

I also got metal in for framing up the interior and the roof rack, as well as an aluminum sheet for the rear wall.... there's a new plan for the rear wall....pictures will better describe when the time comes. :chef:

Nick

Attachments

#151 ·
Is it the camera angle or is your reciever going to have to come out about where your door latch is? If not that would gouge a pretty good trough out of what ever you drop off of...ask me how I know:shaking:...

Otherwise it looks pretty damn good:D

#152 ·
the tail cut up I just did is all the Box. The fame still sits way below the box and I'll put the reciever in a crossmember at the tail end of the rails...maybe a bumper. im offing the roll up anyway :)

here's a side shot while stuck in traffic in the mtns this morning...

Nick

Attachments

#155 · (Edited)
Needs to be soon...snows going to be a fallin' before too long..I'll finish framing out the interior so my fridge can be mounted since it's floating around the floor waiting for it... After that I'll start designing the spring hangers and yank the trans for the 4wd rebuild..

I'd show pics of tonight progress but my iPhone won't upload pics to pirate...all I can say is the(fake) wood floor is looking sweet.. ;)

Nick

#159 · (Edited)
I talked to Chris a few mo ago. He offers some great stuff. My current springs won't work with his hangers so I'll design and cut my own...on a Torchmate :D . It's been a sweet setup even "crude" with just futon and a coleman. The more I tear into it with the additions I notice how much better built a box van is than a camper...durability wise for the abuse I will put it through going out of the normal RV camping spots.

I like "the man van" on the plate cover. Great build
haha, Mom got that for me soon after I got the van.

Nick

#161 · (Edited)
This thing is sweet, nice job!

I like that you are using it regularly, just doing small renovations at a time. I recently bought one of those trailer hitch platform cargo carriers, I installed a hitch on the back of my trailer, works perfect for taking a full size BBQ along on camping outings or extra boxes when space is limited. A full size trailer awning would also be a great addition! Keep it goin

:beer::beer::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.