1 ton Man Fort... - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 124076
Is it the camera angle or is your reciever going to have to come out about where your door latch is? If not that would gouge a pretty good trough out of what ever you drop off of...ask me how I know...

Otherwise it looks pretty damn good
Dejomo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 463
the tail cut up I just did is all the Box. The fame still sits way below the box and I'll put the reciever in a crossmember at the tail end of the rails...maybe a bumper. im offing the roll up anyway

here's a side shot while stuck in traffic in the mtns this morning...

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 7647
looks like a pretty nice rig. When does the 4 wheel drive conversion begin?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 139969
Very cool! I would love to set up something similar for a tow rig. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
looks like a pretty nice rig. When does the 4 wheel drive conversion begin?
Needs to be soon...snows going to be a fallin' before too long..I'll finish framing out the interior so my fridge can be mounted since it's floating around the floor waiting for it... After that I'll start designing the spring hangers and yank the trans for the 4wd rebuild..

I'd show pics of tonight progress but my iPhone won't upload pics to pirate...all I can say is the(fake) wood floor is looking sweet..

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-22-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 463
floor...
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 151369
Chris at ujointoffroad.com has a very good kit for converting Ford vans to 4x4. Just got done with mine. Very sweet. A box van would be the ultimate camping vehicle.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 80843
I like "the man van" on the plate cover. Great build
rally post #870 tellico rally post #566
crosbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Chris at ujointoffroad.com has a very good kit for converting Ford vans to 4x4. Just got done with mine. Very sweet. A box van would be the ultimate camping vehicle.
I talked to Chris a few mo ago. He offers some great stuff. My current springs won't work with his hangers so I'll design and cut my own...on a Torchmate . It's been a sweet setup even "crude" with just futon and a coleman. The more I tear into it with the additions I notice how much better built a box van is than a camper...durability wise for the abuse I will put it through going out of the normal RV camping spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosbike View Post
I like "the man van" on the plate cover. Great build
haha, Mom got that for me soon after I got the van.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #160 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3263
pics from this weekend?
i like the hard wood floors..

fcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 133568
This thing is sweet, nice job!

I like that you are using it regularly, just doing small renovations at a time. I recently bought one of those trailer hitch platform cargo carriers, I installed a hitch on the back of my trailer, works perfect for taking a full size BBQ along on camping outings or extra boxes when space is limited. A full size trailer awning would also be a great addition! Keep it goin

Last edited by Leyland; 09-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Leyland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #162 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9363
Subscribed! Keep it up man, it looks awesome!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 2870
Dude! This things F'n bad to the bone...
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 463
I did some framing out of the counter top last night. 1.75" angle iron is going to be the hidden structure mounted to the floor and wall and 1x2" is going to frame (will be seen) the wood inlayed. the counter top is 1" pine. I have some stainless I wanted to use on alot of things but the lack of a press brake is simplifying the build...I may add it all later.

Another crappy phone pic but it's better than text..Heading to the WE Rock grandnationals this weekend so no more work on it until Monday. I think I'll be framing the mount for the fridge and microwave under the counter.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-29-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #165 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9445
Send a message via Skype™ to gp_frk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyFamily View Post
I did some framing out of the counter top last night. 1.75" angle iron is going to be the hidden structure mounted to the floor and wall and 1x2" is going to frame (will be seen) the wood inlayed. the counter top is 1" pine. I have some stainless I wanted to use on alot of things but the lack of a press brake is simplifying the build...I may add it all later.

Another crappy phone pic but it's better than text..Heading to the WE Rock grandnationals this weekend so no more work on it until Monday. I think I'll be framing the mount for the fridge and microwave under the counter.

Nick
Drive to TX and bring stainless with you?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 72468
your really slackin on the pictures man. I need some realll sh*t here, none of this blurry camera phone nonsense.

Every since sav saw your FB photos shes been chatting about a family camper like this, so....i need you to help me out here by keeping the pictures coming and keeping the idea fresh in her head. This way i have fulllll spouse support on the next project.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 463
I sent you a couple of mini mod ambulances on CL around Houston months ago all for under 5K...:P

I'll be ramping up again here soon...went kart racing last weekend and again this weekend...might have to do race truck stuff the following...schedule is booooked.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #168 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Ever think of adding some type of "slide out" to your setup?
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
Ever think of adding some type of "slide out" to your setup?
not really, but it would be cool. i haven't really looked at what's involved mechanically...just trying to get it done simply and enjoy.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 33536
had a great CAD drawing of a home made slide out rail and now I cant find it. Basically it was three pieces of decreasing height C-Channel with some type of roller or bearing. The largest rail was fixed and the two smaller ones each slid out 50% and hit a stop, giving 100% extension of whatever the section length was.

Should be pretty easy to make, the hard part would be things like running electrical and water lines, what to do with the flooring, how to get it to seal correctly, etc...
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 1858
Hey Nick, it was great chatting with you at We-Rock. If you have any questions as you get ready to rig up some hot water in your van I'd be more than happy to answer questions. While I'm partial to the Helton units for obvious reasons I've got a fair amount of experience with some to of the other options and would be more than happy to recommend the best fit for your needs. Excited to see how you finish it off

- YOUR CRUISER PARTS SOURCE! - ARB - OME - Engel - Helton - AdvAdapt

cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 463
I've been busy (mostly non van things) but I am ramping up the work level on the Van. I really need to source a 4wd tranny to get on this 4wd swap...snow is starting to fall around here..

I had a headlight out so I picked up some new "brigher" silverstars and while I had those out I went and painted the grill and benzels (it's now 5mph faster after that ricer mod )

I also got started on insulating the walls with this plastic reflective bubble wrap. It is really easy to work with, just a tape measure, drywall square, exacto knife and staple gun.

The Torchmate desert truck got sponsored by Magnaflow for the baja 1000, getting all new exhaust. So I was given one of the Borla strainless mufflers for 3" tubing when taken off that only had maybe 500 mi on it...FREEBIE

more to come.

cruiseroutfit: Thanks for the info when we talked about the shower situation...I really need to get on a solution for hot water. I really like the "any body of water" set up you had, but I might as well try a more fixed situation in here.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 10-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #173 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
I want this rig. Just give it to me and I'll worry about finding the 4x4 transmission.
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 463
I made some parts for my roof rack last night...it'll have 1" .095 along the top...storage for canoe, solar panel and other..

I have a video of the parts being cut but don't have the time to figure out how to attach at the moment.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 2931
it needs a 'rockme' bumper fo that front winch i still have one of those stickers on my toolbox!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in