1 ton Man Fort... - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #176 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Coming along very nicely!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
Not sure how much thickness/room your working with for the insulation but I've found the bubble wrap to be almost useless. It works well with reflecting radiant heat but not so much elsewhere. Tons of discussion on it on RV.net Granted RV.net isn't the end all be all as those clowns will debate variations in specs of dirt, but there is some good info.

On my cargo van I was able to get some 1" jute insulation (recycled material sorta blue ish in color, used as insulation under car floors/carpets. ) I used 2" on the walls and ceiling under the peneling. In a box van with flat walls. With non metal walls/roof I would simply use rigid blue sheets.

Sorry this is so long.. On my u-haul conversion i did. I used 2 sheets of 3/4" in between 2x4s (or 2x2s) which fit perfectly and provided some density behind the walls to keep the framing spacing larger.

I'm still (casually) looking for a similar later model chevy cube van like this.

Great job so far !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 3800 v6 Supercharger, Toy axles etc..

Stroke - Coumadin (warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 463
Thanks for the info. ..while still in the build process I'm definately still in the trial and error phases. Like the cheap laminate fake wood floor. I love the look but it isn't liking the cold/hot moisture changes and is slightly curling the edges between pieces. It might be installation error as I was in a hurry to get it in without all my materials (glue, tools, etc) in one place and move on.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 463
pics are always good roof rack mounts on..

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #180 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Cool build Nick. I'm becoming more and more inspired by these things as a tailgate mobile and tow rig. Nice work!!!

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 72468
its been more than 48 hours since your last post and unless your planning something fancy, which is likely, your 4 bends away from wrapping up this little duder. Come come, with the pictures, come come....
Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 98713
I've been following this...SWEET!
SLC97SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
This thing going south of the border or what?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 174439
peanut butter and jelly !!! yep gotta love campin'
limericky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 463
been in Baja for the last couple weeks racing the 1000. I'll post more when I get the van near me...

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 51298
Nice build. I got to the last page and want more. How long until a 72" flat screen and x-box get installed?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:03 AM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 175852
Very nice project! I'll be subscribing to keep track of the progress!

I have been seriously contemplating such a project but using something along the lines of a used rental truck. I don't like the trucks that U-Haul uses but the ones Penske uses are pretty stout and have much better ground clearance than the U-Haul design allowing for under box compartments. I'm thinking of something like a 22' box. It will be to heavy for a 1 ton front end/transfer case though.. I'll stop now before I end up hi-jacking your awesome thread..

One or two comments on the use of retired ambulances (In response to those that have mentioned using one). I worked in EMS for many years and can tell you from first hand experience that even the empty vehicle (without all the EMS crap) is pretty heavy. About 90% of all 1 ton based ambulances are running well over the designed weight and they get driven HARD. VERY HARD would be more accurate. Depending on who owned it it may have been maintained pretty well or not worth crap. During my EMS career I worked for far more companies that barely kept them running than those that st rived to keep them well maintained. This includes both private and municipal (Government) based systems.

Another thing I find as a negative in using an ambulance for a camping vehicle is the interior is not all that large due to the exterior compartments and interior cabinets. You could always remove the interior cabinets and reface the wall to gain some of that space back but you still loose a lot of usable space to the exterior compartments. Some of those can come in handy for your 4x4 gear and tools but there is likely more than you really need so you'll end up using some of them for items that you would rather have inside but simply don't have room for.

On the plus side, you'll likely have plenty of outside lighting...lol. Some will even have a 110v generator and a roof mounted RV air conditioner unit installed. Look in the southern states for an ambulance with the RV A/C unit if that is important to you. Also, 12v electrical will usually be beefed up with max output alternators and probably a high idle kit to allow you to keep the RPM's up to make max amperage in the alternator when you feel the need.

One of those newer trucks (Started becoming popular in the last 10-15 years) commercial size ambulances might be interesting. I'm talking about the ones on the International Harvester (Beer truck) size chassis. Those usually have longer boxes and of course are built much more heavy duty than a 1 ton. OF course your looking at finding matching size 4x4 running gear too..

And again, I'll stop before I hi-jack the real thread..

Can't wait to see more pictures of the project!
OldMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan99 View Post
Very nice project! I'll be subscribing to keep track of the progress!

I have been seriously contemplating such a project but using something along the lines of a used rental truck. I don't like the trucks that U-Haul uses but the ones Penske uses are pretty stout and have much better ground clearance than the U-Haul design allowing for under box compartments. I'm thinking of something like a 22' box. It will be to heavy for a 1 ton front end/transfer case though.. I'll stop now before I end up hi-jacking your awesome thread..

One or two comments on the use of retired ambulances (In response to those that have mentioned using one). I worked in EMS for many years and can tell you from first hand experience that even the empty vehicle (without all the EMS crap) is pretty heavy. About 90% of all 1 ton based ambulances are running well over the designed weight and they get driven HARD. VERY HARD would be more accurate. Depending on who owned it it may have been maintained pretty well or not worth crap. During my EMS career I worked for far more companies that barely kept them running than those that st rived to keep them well maintained. This includes both private and municipal (Government) based systems.

Another thing I find as a negative in using an ambulance for a camping vehicle is the interior is not all that large due to the exterior compartments and interior cabinets. You could always remove the interior cabinets and reface the wall to gain some of that space back but you still loose a lot of usable space to the exterior compartments. Some of those can come in handy for your 4x4 gear and tools but there is likely more than you really need so you'll end up using some of them for items that you would rather have inside but simply don't have room for.

On the plus side, you'll likely have plenty of outside lighting...lol. Some will even have a 110v generator and a roof mounted RV air conditioner unit installed. Look in the southern states for an ambulance with the RV A/C unit if that is important to you. Also, 12v electrical will usually be beefed up with max output alternators and probably a high idle kit to allow you to keep the RPM's up to make max amperage in the alternator when you feel the need.

One of those newer trucks (Started becoming popular in the last 10-15 years) commercial size ambulances might be interesting. I'm talking about the ones on the International Harvester (Beer truck) size chassis. Those usually have longer boxes and of course are built much more heavy duty than a 1 ton. OF course your looking at finding matching size 4x4 running gear too..

And again, I'll stop before I hi-jack the real thread..

Can't wait to see more pictures of the project!
Thanks for the info.. and about the Rental trucks...Uhauls almost always are BEAT...I've look at several Penski and rented several as well, I have to say they look and drive like new everytime. Those bigger ambulances you talked about are sweet. My friend is a firefigher engineer in the Sierras and drives one, he says they climb like a goat!

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 12-03-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 175852
I was online looking for a suitable truck for the camper 4x4 build project I am contemplating and I just happened to see a few Ambulances and thought of this thread. If I was going to use an ambulance for my project it would be something like one of these, not one based on a 1 ton chassis.

$14,900 located in Tampa, FL.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...-FL60-97265242

$15,900 located in Washington State.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...-FL60-97130509

$30,000 located in Lakeland, FL.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...FL-60-97772691

If anybody is interested in one of these the Tampa or Lakeland ones are not far at all from me and I would be happy to go down get more pictures and give you an overall idea if it is a sound buy or not.

For my project I need something a bit larger than an ambulance. I'm still not decided 100% to go with a commercial type chassis or military but from what I have learned so far it is looking more and more like commercial.

Something along the lines of the truck in the link below. Add 4x4, the largest all season tires I can find that will fit, RV A/C on the roof, 2 winches, cargo boxes under the "RV" Box and cut off the last 5' of the box and make a porch that will hold a custom BBQ and my 4 wheeler with as large of an observation deck as I can put up on the roof. It will carry 150 gallons of fresh water, have a full size shower, blah, blah, blah....

I'll stop now so I don't hijack this thread about the awesome highly mobile camper of a different design that this thread is really all about. To be honest, I "Almost" went with something this size just because of the mobility factor, but my last "Real" RV was a factory built class A 34' and I just got used to the size, space, amenities and feel that I would miss that to much in a smaller but MUCH more mobile rig.

The problem with the 34'er was that I got stuck several times (And never did even come close to going "off road") and of course there are no acceptable hooks to use to be pulled out, (And no place to reasonable put them). I am trying to compensate for some of the loss of mobility by using the truck that will be 4x4 (With winches and hooks) to gain some of the lacking mobility back. For my needs I think it will be a reasonable compromise.

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...-FL60-94471141

Take care...
OldMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 69751
Send a message via AIM to j2005 Send a message via Skype™ to j2005
updates??? i NEED my fix
j2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2005 View Post
updates??? i NEED my fix
he's probably been too busy working on the Torchmate buggies to get much done on this project over the last month or so.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Awesome project. Can't believe I didn't see this sooner. This is how I cut up my memory foam mattress and turned it into a couch/bed (couch/bedframe and mattress).
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 93542
Any updates? Love this build....
DM310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 463
I just added 1" tubing on the roof rack that circles the roof and dips down on the pass side for the canoe, still work to do on the solar panel mount...I also started working on the tire carriers. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 129535
Any updates?
jkruby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 135082
none

Updates? yeup,

got in done, threw all the electrogizmo shit (phone gps computer) out the window loaded up the old lady and hit the road
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #197 (permalink)

Member # 182088
Awesome build! Can't wait to see more!
KYyotermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 463
Finally working on it now! I have been using it ALOT to save money on gas these days VS commuting full time. It makes it hard to do major teardowns when i need to use it that night. Working on a tire rack and roof rack tonight. I also built a rear bumper. Pics tonight...

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 187821
Sweet build! Keep the updates coming!
The Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 463
I got the rack finished up and painted. Soon I'll be bolting on the Solar panel (driver front) and an aluminum tray for gear (driver rear) and the canoe holster is on the right .

I also got the first tire carrier mounted up as well as a simple rear bumper with recovery points and hitch...utilitarian is the style...

crappy phone pics for now.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in