1 ton Man Fort... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 463
1 ton Man Fort...

I've been looking for an Econoline for the last few mo. to 4wd swap and build out like a Sportsmobile... Then was turned onto a Mini mod ambulance and the Mini box vans due to more head room and and storage options (most are in the mid west). I finally stumbled across this and brought this it home today... I was looking hard for a 7.3L diesel but I could not pass up the deal even though it has a 5.4L. It has 355k on the chassis but was a 1 owner, by a family business fleet maintained with 50pgs of service records including engine and trans replacement...

I have a HP D60 lined up for a 4wd swap and plan on some 33's, bumpers, winch, cut a walk through, insulation, 2000w inverter, sink, microwave, porta john, RV side door and replace the roll up back door with a wall or tilt up door that will double as a deck ...end result being a good tow rig/expo camper.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ToyFamily; 04-12-2010 at 12:31 AM.
ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39184
will be paying attention to this one. Dont slack on teh updates
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38567
Send a message via AIM to fastg60
Looks like fun, keep us updated!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Abby...someone

Member # 48547
Sounds like a plan - I'll be watching this build too
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
just do a cummins swap to get rid of the gasser vs. diesel debate. will be watching this one closely, looks like a very cool build.

wes
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 130521
I have a 89 E350 Ex-Ambulance I converted to 4x4, 7.3. For a tow rig, I really like my dually rear, but I guess that all depends on what your going to tow.
I love mine, and am actually looking for a newer one to convert, you won't regret it.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 463
I was looking at the ambulances for some time....would have been sweet but oh well. I wanted the smaller box and single rear to fit easier on remote roads to mountain lakes. Also so it's less of a pain to drive around town often if I choose. I'm only going to be towing my Toyota so I should be good. I'll build this out like I want it and down the road if the drivetrain doesn't hack it maybe I'll swap in a diesel.

Here's a shot of the interior as is..hardwood floors and custom cabinets...I'm going to take some measurements and redesign it all in Solidworks to get the most use out of the space.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ToyFamily; 04-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7647
looks like a great platform to start with Nick.

What were the original owners using it for? I'm not sure I've seen a box like that on a single wheel before. Pretty cool tow rig/camper there.

KF5EQF

apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25034
Send a message via AIM to RamSport59
I'm lugging 10k behind the same chassis you got there with the 5.4l. Its a dog and needs a tranny and I'm getting around 8-10mpg. We've had tons of issues with the fuel injectors and coil packs. Other then that its been a good truck to us. We have a fleet of 4 of these trucks and all have the same issues. But we beat the livin' hell out of them from mile 1.

Rick
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 106274
It's like a dorm room on wheels. Any way to make the cab accessible from the cargo box? I know some of the airline's cargo trucks are setup in a similar way.
Black06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 115508
whats the box measurement?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 463
Yes, I am rermoving the current bed and cutting a walk through to the main cab. I'll post up measurements when I get it to me. It was snowing in the Sierras the weekend I bought it so I left it at my parents.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 106274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyFamily View Post
Yes, I am rermoving the current bed and cutting a walk through to the main cab. I'll post up measurements when I get it to me. It was snowing in the Sierras the weekend I bought it so I left it at my parents.

Nick
I just noticed that the cab is mounted directly to the box with no gap between the two.....should be fairly easy to make an opening
Black06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 463
yep chop chop. Going to pick it up this weekend. Then swing by and get my 60... The ideas can do nothing but bounce around in my head having it sit an hour away...

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 72468
Its awsome that your acctually doing it man, youve got me scopin out every ambulance/box van i see. And, your right, the prices are very appealing....not many folk DD an ambulance. Would also make a nice 'no girls aloud' hide out
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9445
Send a message via Skype™ to gp_frk
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasammi View Post
Would also make a nice 'no girls aloud' hide out

Where's the fun in that?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 31552
nice. how much did you pay? i almost bid on an ambulance locally and wish i had. it went for $250. seriously. it was a 91 e350, non cut away style. i did end up getting this one though

you should have held out for the 7.3. one of our f350's has the 5.4 and it is an embarrassment to ford.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 463
I paid about $3500. The nearest mini box van this style I'd seen was $6500 and this one has immaculate service records. If you "craigslook" with no search limit area... "Ambulance", "econoline" "van" "4x4 van"....you'll come up with some good stuff. I had my eye on a 7.3L mini mod ambulance in Kansas City (I think) for $3400, but by only pics (it wasn't perfect) and after the plane ticket and the drive back cost I was still looking. There is a regular box ambulance built out as a Camper in Seattle for 9500-10k...there is also a pair of ambulances there (one mini mod) for $1900ea both probably 7.3, by the years it seemed one would be non turbo, one turbo'd. That was tempting.

I ordered my fridge the other night, a Norcold 2 way (elec or LP), it's the one they use in the Sportsmobiles. I also ordered a 2000w pure sine wave inverter.

A good source I've been looking at has been RV surplus. They have some good prices.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 04-16-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasammi View Post
Its awsome that your acctually doing it man, youve got me scopin out every ambulance/box van i see. And, your right, the prices are very appealing....not many folk DD an ambulance. Would also make a nice 'no girls aloud' hide out
after that 11 day Tx to Ca trip in the 4runner, it's time for more room and tow rigability...when the snow hit in NM...i was a little confined

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 463
I went to the VORRA short course race this weekend in the Van as is. I just slapped a futon matress in, a cooler and my stuff. It worked awesome, the roll up door area acted as a convenient sitting area too, we had a fire 7ft off the back. Very happy with it and haven't even done a thing.

Nick

Torchmate Racing

Last edited by ToyFamily; 04-19-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 33536
cool project....if the girl in the pic above is not "aloud" (sic), I will take her
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Yeah, I paid $3750 for mine. The first four feet of the 14' box has a 7.5' wide "couch" I can seat six including me, five comfortably. I bought mine the same day I saw it, I couldn't believe that the local stock car guys didn't snatch it up. The owner ran a camper/trailer supply place, so he had all sorts of cool shit on it. Airbags, compressor, CB, trailer brakes, custom receiver, etc.

What kind of stuff do you have to do to get it licensable and insurable as a RV? In IL, since mine is a one ton, I have to have "D" plates and supposedly I have to have it inspected every six months. Here they say (the DMV and my insurer) that all vehicles 1 ton and above are commercial, regardless of it's intended use EXCEPT for stuff classified as a RV. It is almost cost prohibitive to just convert mine to being an RV just to save money on the plates and insurance, but it would make the van much more ideal for our type of sport.

Last edited by abrogate; 04-19-2010 at 05:23 PM.
abrogate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 463
When I was looking online at insurance there was a catagory for van camper. I think it's considered an RV if it has a bed and a toilet. That's at least the stipulations for getting a mortgage on an RV, which can be done on the Sportsmobile van camper. Google "portable electric toilet", it's an easy way to add the toilet. I'm on the fence but will most likely go that route.

My dad picked up a 700w microwave for me at a garage sale this weekend, knowing him it was $5 and it's new in box. I got the 2000w sine wave inverter today and the fridge is coming in tomorrow.

Nick
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 463
woohoo, fridge is in...
Attached Images

Torchmate Racing

Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 118172
Subscribed. This thread has some potential! Nice find.

'99 Ford F250 CCSB - tow rig
notyourmomslx450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in