mah deuce - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 30721
wheels/tires

This is what the first wheel looked like with one of the new tires mounted.

(old wheel/tire combo for reference)

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 30721
I was curious about the scrub radius even though I couldn't really do anything about it. If I was having custom wheels built I might have gone with something closer to 7-8" of backspacing, but 6" was all I could get and I was pretty happy with that (especially for the price). So I posted on pirate, but once again gringeltaube came through.

I had asked him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Do you happen to know what the distance from the center of the u-joint to the wheel-mounting surface is gringeltaube? What about the kingpin inclination angle?
To which he replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringeltaube
9.6" and 8, respectively.
Scrub radius in your case should be around 2 3/4"

G.
Thanks again G!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 30721
After assembling my 'practice' wheel, I realized that I should be truing the wheels off of the lip where the rings would seat. Worked out much better that way. All the finished wheels run very true.

After tack-welding the center-sections into place and re-checking the fit, I welded 'em up (on the outside of the flange only).

I decided that I wanted to grind-out all the welds, so I went at them with a sanding disc on a 4.5" angle grinder.

Then I went back and filled in the low spots.

This is what they looked like after I finished grinding out all the welds. Not perfect, but then, nothing is on these old trucks.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Then I hauled all those wheels down to Agri Trade School in Salinas, where Tom sand-blasted them for me.

I was going to prime/paint them myself, but fortunately, a buddy of mine told me that I could get them powder-coated at Les Schwab for $25 before I bought paint. And that INCLUDES sandblasting. Dangit. Wasted a little bit of money there, but it worked out alright in the end. Dropped my wheels off with the guys at the Les Schwab up in Fremont.

They obviously have to send the wheels out for powder-coating, so it takes about a week. For $25/wheel, I wasn't complaining though. This is what they looked like when I came back to pick them up.

I went ahead and had them order new tubes and flaps for me. I could have mounted them myself, but I was already there and they do a LOT of work on big trucks. Man, they whipped these things out. It was cool to see how it should be done.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 30721
wheels/tires

...continued:

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 30721
wheels/tires

Loaded them all back up and was so excited that I installed them all that night. Well, all except for one of them. Stripped a stud, and had to go buy a new one the next morning. Apologies for the crappy pictures.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 181230
Subscribed, nice build man
Thesnowman269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
...continued:

I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Like the way it's turning out.

Good thing there are still shops that will deal with that type of rim down there. Here no tire shops will touch them anymore.

Nat
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Thanks. I wondered about that too, but that's Tracy there in that picture; he's the manager at the Les Schwab in Fremont and he didn't even blink when I asked him about mounting my tires on those wheels. They do a lot of work on heavy trucks, and he was really cool about letting me watch and ask questions and take pictures. Anybody in the area's sure to get good service there but anybody anywhere near a Les Schwab ought to take advantage of their powder-coating services. $25/wheel is crazy-cheap.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-14-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #85 (permalink)
mp

Member # 31491
This is a really cool build. Need to add a duece or two to the wish list.

Those modded rims and new tires look great.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 99590
This is an awesome vehicle and great build thread! I am going to attempt to sell the wife on the idea tonight... keep fingers crossed! lol
ChevyTurk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
These things are cheap enough that you can't afford NOT to own one. Or two or ten. There's a deuce for every occasion.
I think my relatives are starting to stockpile pitchforks and torches... Damn, you're a bad influence!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 30721
cabover rack

I know this looks like an enormous vehicle, but it's only 26ft long bumper-to-bumper and the box itself is only 12ft long (inside). That's small. REALLY small. So I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to make best use of space.

Really wish I was able to add a cabover section to the box, but that was beyond the scope of this project. Not that it would have been so difficult, but at that point it would have been easier to make a whole new box. Believe me - I was tempted, but that's how the neverending story starts...and I'd rather spend my time traveling (instead of building the end-all ultimate motorhome). So I resigned myself to living within the existing box, but knew that I still needed to make use of that space above the cab somehow.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 30721
cabover rack

Designed a cabover rack in SolidWorks that would be made of tubing and sheetmetal, and would be attached to the box (floating over the cab). I had all the sheetmetal parts laser-cut at a local shop and had been planning on doing the install at my place, but the sheetmetal parts weren't done in time. By the time I got the parts, I had already moved out of my house.

Explained the situation to Graeme and he invited me to come down and work on my rig at his shop. Took the two of us the better part of two days to assemble and mount this rack. Was a little bit tough to keep square as we were putting it together, and getting it into position on the truck was also a challenge. Turned out great in the end though.

The rack will eventually have a lid (hinged on the leading edge) and some type of mesh or something on the sides. Need to maintain some airflow because that's where I'm planning on mounting a generator and the water-heaters, AC condenser, etc. The four circular cutouts on the front are for driving lights.

Will be uploading all the CAD files related to this project to the CAD Library, where they will be available to download and use (free of charge).

Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 30721
cabover racks

We used tie-down straps to hold the sheetmetal portion of the rack in place as we riveted it into place. Moved on to the tubework from there. The cabover rack is tied into a horizontal tube (2" x .120-wall) that is bolted to the two lift-points at the top/front corners of the box. Similar tubes run down the sides of the box and across the back, tying into similar lifting points. The plan is to use that tubework to support a party deck and solar panels.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 30721
reddot ac

That big hole in the middle of cabover rack is where I mounted an AC condenser. I'm using a RedDot AC/heater (model R-5045) that was originally designed for armored trucks (the type used to transport money). You can read the full specs here, but it's a heavy-duty heat/AC unit that moves up to 430CFM and puts out 46,000BTU's/hr (heat) / 33,000BTU's/hr (AC). Went with one of RedDot's largest units (model R-4500), which has a nice low-profile. Haven't done anything related to the compressor yet. Was much more concerned about these components that I had to design/build things to accommodate. Have also been talking to the people at RedDot and Sy-Klone about fresh air and recirculating air filtration and cabin pressurization systems though. Sent some CAD files to their engineers so they can help me decide how to duct everything. Never gave much thought to airflow and this kind of stuff before, but I'm learning that it makes a huge difference in the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Thanks again for all your help Graeme!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 30721
electrical

Back inside the box, my buddy Duane helped me figure out the electrical side of things. We spent some time talking about anticipated loads and how I wanted everything to work. Duane worked-up some schematic drawings, when we put together a shopping list and I spent about $1000 at Home Depot. Had to get some specialty products other places, but that took care of all the 110 wiring and switches and I bought a 250ft spool of 10-guage 3-wire electrical cable to make some extension cords (shore-power). Over the course of about a week Duane and I got all the old wiring stripped out and I made all the cutouts for the electrical outlets and switches.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 30721
kitchen sink & countertops

The other project I knocked out that week I spent at Duane's house was to fit the countertops and install the kitchen sink. Went with PaperStone countertops. Eco-friendly blahblahblah. I really just liked the way it looks and it's supposed to be super-durable. We found PaperStone to be REALLY difficult to work with. It's crazy-dense, and caused the jigsaw blades to overheat and dull pretty quickly. Not complaining because that's precisely what makes it so nice once it's installed.

Most of the countertops were cut by the guys at Davis Cabinets on their large tablesaws, but we had to hand-cut the sink cutout. The template they made ensured clean cuts though, which was important because I wanted to use an undermount sink. Only catch was that I didn't have an undermount sink. I had a regular sink that I'd bought cheap off craigslist (brand new, left over from a remodel). Was determined to make that work because and there was no way that I was going to spend $500+ on a stainless steel undermount sink. Attempted to modify the sink to be installed as an undermount, stubbornly refusing to acknowledge that it wasn't working. Didn't stop until I ruined the sink and the countertop. Had to purchase a second sink and install it as an overmount in order to salvage the countertop. Should have just spent the money to do it right the first time. Would have saved money and gotten exactly what I wanted.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 30721
inverter

I'll go ahead share one more embarrassing goof-up with you guys tonight. So stupid it's funny. Bought a 3000 watt Xantrex Prosine 3.0 pure sine-wave inverter. Came with some mounting brackets that I needed to modify in order to mount the inverter in the electrical cabinet. Cleaned the paint off the ends where I wanted to weld-on some little mounting brackets that I made. Geez, what's wrong? Did I forget to turn on the gas? Nope. Holy shit, these mounting brackets are ALUMINUM. Yup. I tried to weld steel to aluminum. Didn't work so well. The second set of mounting brackets turned out much better.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 181746
Awesome build, can`t wait for updates...
Steinbruchsoldat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 37340
WOW, you've done quite a job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
zainyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 62111
Super cool build. Sounds like a great adventure.
tacobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 164155
This is a great build. Keep the posts coming. Are you going to put any creature comforts (a/c, modern seats, etc) in the cab?
Crawl Away is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Away View Post
This is a great build. Keep the posts coming. Are you going to put any creature comforts (a/c, modern seats, etc) in the cab?
Thanks, and yes. The RedDot heat/AC unit can be ducted to direct air forward into the cab and I'm planning on mounting some low-back Baja-type suspension seats on top of the factory 'springer' seat bases. Going to replace the stock springs and shocks with mountain-bike shocks though. Lots of other creature-comforts planned: things like having a water faucet built into the cupholders in the center console and that sort of thing. Was intending to cut a big hole for a pass-through between the cab and the box, but then I found that brand new cab and I just can't bring myself to cut it up. So I'm going to live without a pass-through for a while and see how that goes. Can always add it later.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-17-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in