mah deuce - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 6892
This thing is so fawking awesome!
Really nice work, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Rally for The Hammers post #141
Rally for Tellico post #100
Blue-Beard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 177087
This thing is so sick! Love the detailed build thread with all the pics. Keep up the good work.
MikeS27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Awesome project! I know what you mean about driving the duece. The looks you get and the feel of driving one is an experience in itself.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Thanks guys, appreciate all the compliments.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 30721
axles/brakes

Had to flip the hubs on the rear axles in order to mount my new wheels and tires, and decided that would be a good time to service all the hubs and brakes. One of the wheel seals had failed and made a bit of a mess. Spent a LOT of time cleaning-up the axles/hubs/brakes with brake cleaner, wire brushes and a wire wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. Was the first time I used the service manuals and I found them to be very easy to follow. They spell out every little detail, to the point where it's almost funny. But I guess that says something about who they expected to be servicing these vehicles...

Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 30721
axles/brakes

What a mess. The front axle was covered in grime, but I've been really lucky - haven't had to deal with a single rusted/seized bolt or anything like that. Seems like this truck was really well-maintained. Think it has a lot to do with the fact that there is anti-seize on just about every piece of hardware on this truck. Has got me in the habit of using it more religiously myself.

The bearings in both of the rear axles were in great shape, but the bearing races on the front axle had these weird chatter-marks. Posted some pics on steelsoldiers and then installed new wheel bearings and brake pads. That purple grease is Amsoil synthetic grease. Also replaced all the wheel cylinders with new parts while I was in there. Installed a set of those silicone boots. Hope they hold-up better than the zipper-boots. Planning on installing some sort of boot-guards.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 30721
axles/brakes

Went through a ton of disposable nitrile gloves and paper-towels.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

Designed these hubsteps to make it easier to climb up onto the front fenders. They've gone through a few revisions now, but I might as well start at the beginning.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

The hubsteps work on the front and rear axles (stock axles/driveflanges) Pointless on Mah Deuce, but I think they might be useful on a cargo truck or a tractor.

Figured out how to make a few improvements while I was making my new wheels.

1) The way my original hubsteps were designed, the wheels were kind of hard to slide over the hubsteps and onto the hubs.

2) The original hubsteps didn't stick out any further than the front driveflanges, which kept everything nice and tight, but the steps were a little too small to be very useful.

3) The teeth on the original hubsteps were not very sharp, and I found my feet slipping off them occasionally.

So I redesigned them. The single biggest and most improvement is that the new hubsteps should make the wheels a LOT easier to put on and take off. Should be an easy one-man job now. You just slide the wheel over the hubstep and then slide the wheels up the spokes, right onto the hubs. I also added a 1/8" tall lip to stop the wheels from falling off the hub when one person is trying to wrestle a wheel/tire on/off. I also made the new hubsteps a 1/2" wider, so there's a larger platform to stand on. And you can see, the teeth are also a lot sharper on the new version.

So here's how they went together:

Start by fitting each of the spokes into the slots in the inner step-ring

Then position the inner step ring and all the spokes on top of the bolt ring (the steps are keyed to the bolt-ring)

Then set the outer step ring down top of all the spokes (the steps are keyed to the outer step-ring)

Weld it up

Grind it down
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

Here's a picture of a new-style hubstep next to the old-style hubstep. Note that the new hubstep sticks out just a little bit further, and the spokes make nice ramps to help slide the wheels up onto the hubs.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 100161
Man this is an awesome build! I've seen a few of your posts at Steel Soldiers, just ran across this.

Last edited by jblack6527; 02-17-2011 at 04:59 PM.
jblack6527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

Installed:

Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

Made a few more small revisions:

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 30721
hubsteps

Was planning on selling these, but ran into problems with the vendor that was supposed to do the laser-cutting for me, and found another shop to produce them for me yet. If anybody can recommend a good laser-shop I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 136217
Wow. I don't know what's more impressive. The build or the documentation of the build.

Thank you for all the work you have put in to writing this up. I found myself at work today refreshing the page, hoping you'd have an update!
bajajoaquin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 30721
amsoil

After finishing up the axles and brakes, figured I to complete the Lube Order before I put that 35lb bucket of Amsoil grease away. Then took one look at the all the zerk fittings under mah deuce and decided it would have to wait a few days (while I looked into getting a pneumatic greasegun). Ended up ordering a Lincoln Model 1162 and it rocks! Little bit messy to fill, but couldn't figure out any way around that. Made greasing all the zerks on this vehicle a breeze. Just hold the trigger down and it's full-auto, but it does have a variable-speed trigger so it's not just on/off.

Recruited one of my not-so-mechanically-inclined friends to help me with this maintenance, and that's when I started to appreciate the way the military service manuals are written. Printed out the section from the manual that he needed, loaded-up the greasegun, and turned him loose. He completed the whole job without having to ask me a single question, and I don't know if this guy has ever even changed a flat tire. Whole point is, these vehicles are NOT difficult to work on, and the manuals are almost idiot-proof.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 30721
amsoil & Spinner II

Went through the rest of the rig and replaced all the fluids with Amsoil products. The plan is to take regular oil samples, but to see just how long I can go between oil changes without blowing-up my brand new 5-ton multifuel engine. Hoping this Spinner II Model 960 centrifuge lives up to expectations. CLick here to see how it works. They make some really bold claims about reducing engine wear and extending the time between oil changes, but unlike so many things, this actually makes a lot of sense. Centrifuges have been proven to be very effective in all sorts of different applications and I like that there are no consumable oil filter elements to change/replace. Just clean out the bowl and put it back together.

Know more or less where and how I'm going to mount this centrifuge, but have not made the mount yet because there are several other accessories that I'm going to need to mount in the same area, so it doesn't make much sense to install anything until I can install everything.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 30721
amsoil

Then I filled up the differentials fresh Amsoil Severe Gear differential lube.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 30721
transfer-case

Drained the transmission and refilled that. Last thing left to do was put new fluid in the transfer-case. Figures that this is where I would run into problems. This is what I saw. Actually heard it first, draining fluid and thunk! thunk! thunk! chunks of metal falling into the drain-pan. There was a lot of it, and it didn't look good. Funny thing is, it never missed a beat. I didn't even know anything was wrong with it. Truck ran great. But it was a sprag-operated transfer-case, which isn't as desirable as the air-shifted transfer-cases they put in the newer deuces. So I was planning on upgrading eventually anyway. No big deal that I ended up having to do it sooner than later.

Posted-up on steelsoldiers.com that I was looking for an air-shift transfer-case and located one almost right away. I was all the way up in Portland, but the price was reasonable and it included one of the hard-to-find transfer-case PTO units.

Swapping transfer-cases was pretty straightforward. Parts are a lot bigger and heavier than what I was used to working on, but no more difficult. Sandblasted and painted the new transfer-case, installed new seals, and got it reinstalled without much trouble (except for the rain).

Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 30721
transfer-case

The oil-line for the PTO unit had been slightly damaged somewhere along the line, probably during removal or transportations. Making a new one shouldn't have had to be such a pain in the ass, but I couldn't find these compression fittings anywhere and there wasn't enough room to remove the fitting without taking the parking brake drum off first. Took me a little while, but it turned out nice.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 30721
transfer-case & towbar

Was SO excited to take Mah Deuce out for a drive after all the work I'd done. All that maintenance, new wheels and tires, etc. It was awesome! Until it broke. Only a few miles into the test-drive, the transfer-case started screeching and howling. Forced me to come to a complete stop, grinding in protest to any type of forward motion. Got under the truck and assessed the situation and it was the transfer-case. Something was wrong with it. Wasn't about to have mah deuce towed home, as that would have cost more than replacing any parts I might have to replace. So I put it into low-range and drove home at about 5-10mph. Made it, but it hasn't moved since. Need to buy another air-shift transfer-case. Luckily I can get a brand new surplus unit for about $800, so I'm not complaining. That's the risk you take buying used parts. May well have been something I messed-up when I replaced the seals. I honestly don't know.

Funny coincidence, the guy that I bought that transfer-case from also gave me a great deal on a towbar. haha. No joke.

Also got the towbar 'feet' and a set of chain-wrap axle-clamps that will let me hook that towbar up to all kinds of things. I'll take a picture of those. They're really neat.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-17-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 30721
towbar -> A-frame hoist

Since then, I managed to find a few more towbars. Going to chop-up a few extra legs to make extensions for my towbar so I can make an A-frame hoist like this. Still not sure exactly how I ought to go about that, so if any of you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 02-17-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Don't chop up a perfectly good towbar just to make an A frame. You can easily make the end for an A-frame without wasting a valuable towbar.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Don't worry. Just found some extra short-side legs. No complete/useful towbars will be harmed in the making of this A-frame hoist.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 147
I can't believe that happened with the tcase? Oh wait yes I can because it happened to me with a 360 and has probably happened to all of us.

I'm curious to see how this centrifuge oil cleaner works. It looks like the same model is for a 6bt, how much is it?

How hub steps came out well, so you take cad drawings to a shop and have them laser cut?

Will there be more updates or are you dead in the water with the tcase?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in