mah deuce - Page 52 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #1276 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
When I last posted we were talking about the Red Ant Motorcycle Carrier I build for my Motorhome. I keep forgetting to get pictures of how my version looks, but this will give you some ideas on what I'm talking about.

(Got a good excuse, I cracked my pelvis and haven't been able to get into the shop for about 12 days now.)

Anyway, here's the next best thing.
The Patent!

CYCLE CARRIER

CYCLE CARRIER - Red Ant Products, Inc.

A Pair of receivers on the frame ends and it will be removable.

Mine's a lot beefier, but works on the same concept.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeehaaaaaaaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #1277 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hey Jesse, how does the bike carrier work? Is there a lot of movement when braking or over big bumps or does it stay put?

Thanks
Mark
Not sure what you want to know Mark. Are you talking about rocking from front to back? Less of an issue the wider the tiedowns are spread where they attach to the rack. We've tried a lot of different racks over the years and they all have their faults. That rack I modified was just a temporary solution so I could haul a bike with my wagon. Not ideal, but it works. At least until we get around to making something better.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #1278 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSRodeo View Post
When I last posted we were talking about the Red Ant Motorcycle Carrier I build for my Motorhome. I keep forgetting to get pictures of how my version looks, but this will give you some ideas on what I'm talking about.

(Got a good excuse, I cracked my pelvis and haven't been able to get into the shop for about 12 days now.)

Anyway, here's the next best thing.
The Patent!

CYCLE CARRIER

CYCLE CARRIER - Red Ant Products, Inc.

A Pair of receivers on the frame ends and it will be removable.

Mine's a lot beefier, but works on the same concept.
Hey, that's pretty slick! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #1279 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Got a ton of stuff done last week. Cleared-out the driveway and was able to roll the deuce back to get a side-shot so I can fuck with the image in photoshop and Solidworks to make sure I'm happy with the proportions before I start hacking on anything.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #1280 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Took some measurements off my M103A3 trailer while I was over at the Section 8 storage yard. Going to modify the 1/4" steel flatbed and put that on the deuce after I bob it, so took some measurements to see how that would add-up (it doesn't). The outboard trailer spring-hangers tuck the leafsprings up next to the framerails, which would cause the rearend to sit several inches too low. Looks like a lot of people are just cutting-up the trailer frames and mounting them under the deuce frames, but I don't want to do that. The outboard springs would also force me to mount the shocks inside the framerails, and would prefer to mount the shocks out as close to the wheels as possible. Think I'll just buy another set of front leafsprings and hangers. See how that works out. Will almost certainly end up linking/bagging it eventually, but would also like to get it back on the road sooner than later.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 12-02-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #1281 (permalink)

Member # 30721
We also went and picked up this S250 shelter, which we bought primarily to turn into a mini-camper and take down to South America in back of Blackmore's chevy, but it will also fit perfectly in the back of the deuce. So the deuce will still be used as a motorhome from time to time.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #1282 (permalink)

Member # 226718
Generator drive

Jesse,

One of my buddies is building a diesel sled puller and he contacted Gates about power handling of their belts (he was going to use a belt drive in place of a transmission) and they told him they have supercharger belts that will hold 700hp all day long. I think something like that would drive your generator with no issues.
Velheru1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #1283 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Had to remove the M101A3 bed and hardtop so I could install the M1031 utility box on the trailer chassis. Planning on cutting-up this bed up to make make removable bedsides to that will fit on top of the M103A3 bed that's going to be mounted on the back of the deuce. Make sense? No? Swapping so many things around right now it confuses me too. But the idea is that these removable bedsides will turn the M103A3 flatbed into an 8ft pickup bed, and then I'll have the option to install this hardtop, which will give me a nice enclosed space to haul my dogs, dirtbikes, etc. Imagine that's going to be the most useful configuration, and will probably be how the bed it set-up most of the time. Haven't made-up my mind yet, but have a while to think about it. For now, it's sitting on blocks, off to the side of the fab slab. Serves a nice windbreak, and makes a great place to store all the deuce parts I've been stockpiling.

These M101 trailers can be turned into makeshift dump-beds by setting parking brakes on the trailer and backing-up, but the 'pivot-points' aren't parallel, so it's important to loosen those bolts that Robo and Jefe were struggling with. We used a come-along to slide the bed off the back of the trailer chassis. Looks way more precarious than it actually was. Then I screwed a couple ground anchors into the grass and slide it sideways over onto those wooden blocks.

Rob: Hand me another wrench.

Jefe: Get out of there. Watch this.

Jesus: (runs out of patience & gets the right tools)

Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #1284 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velheru1 View Post
Jesse,

One of my buddies is building a diesel sled puller and he contacted Gates about power handling of their belts (he was going to use a belt drive in place of a transmission) and they told him they have supercharger belts that will hold 700hp all day long. I think something like that would drive your generator with no issues.
The generator was driven by a 3" wide ribbed belt/pulleys when it was mounted in the CUCV chassis, so if I'm going to use another belt setup, that would be a good place to start. Imagine some thought went into determining what kind of belt to use. Only reason to deviate is if it allows me to package things differently, like how we were talking about using a differential or hydraulic PTO to make it possible to mount the generator up on top of the framerails. Thanks for posting though!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #1285 (permalink)

Member # 30721
So this is where I'm at. Just a very rough conceptual model of how I'm thinking about putting things together. Frame shortened 23". Wheelbase set at 144". Sketch lines around the tires approximate 43/46/49" tall tires (has 43" tires on it right now). Will probably end up putting 46" tires on it, mostly for gearing and the additional payload capacity. Only reason to consider putting 49's on it would be to run the same wheels/tires as the 5-tons, and don't think that's worth it (each wheel/tire weighs 500lbs). Rollcage behind the cab, mounted directly to the frame. Rocker panel guards tied into the rollcage and extend forward, following the lines of the cab. Nothing mounted below the rocker panel guards, with spare tire carried within the rollcage on the driver's side and 50-60 gallon fuel cell on the passenger's side. Front fenders trimmed so as not to extend down below the cab, possibly even trimmed more aggressively for additional tire clearance. M103A3 1/4" steel plate trailer flatbed deck cut down to 8ft long, mounted right on top of the framerails. 5th wheel plate mounts through the bed, directly to the frame with appropriate bracing. Modified M101A3 bedsides, made to be removable, and mounted to the the M103A3 flatbed using stakeside pockets, with the whole M101A3 bed offset all the way over to the driver's side of the M103A3 bed. Dashed sketch lines approximate the dimensions of the M101A3 hardtop, and the grey box represents the dimensions of the S250 shelter. The box below/between the framerails is where I am thinking it might be easiest to mount the PTO-driven generator, driven by pulleys off a driveshaft mounted to the transfercase-mounted PTO, which might pass all the way through the generator box and drive a hydraulic pump directly off the back of the shaft (outside the box).

Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #1286 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Check this out! Clayton is doing a really nice job on another M109A3 RV conversion. He just contacted me about that cabover rack and he's not too far away. Think I'm going to deliver it this weekend. Happy to see that thing is going to good use. Couldn't have found a better home for it.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 12-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #1287 (permalink)

Member # 30721
What's the best (easiest) way to unload an LDT465 multifuel engine out of a deuce and half in a 1/4" steel plate shipping container? TacoBell trays and a full-throttle 3rd gear clutch-drop, obviously...

unloading multifuel - YouTube
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #1288 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
The trick is going to be loading it back up...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1289 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
The trick is going to be loading it back up...
nah...

Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1290 (permalink)

Member # 139461
now thats funny...tacobell trays
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #1291 (permalink)

Member # 30721
The last few months have been crazy and didn't wanna post anything until I knew how it was all going to shake out, but my brother and I ended up selling our 5-tons to raise some more money to put into GatosBros. Wasn't sure if we'd find any more as clean as the first trucks we bought, but we've been following the auctions and today we purchased three really nice looking M923A2 hightop trucks. Planning on heading down to Barstow next week to pick them up.

The hightops are pretty similar to the A2 5-tons in most ways, but under those wacky looking hardtops they have extensive rollcages that are an integral part of the cab. They also have air-ride seats, updated dash/gages, and an emergency exit hatch built into the roof that looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Evidently a few of these trucks also come equipped with 6spd pushbutton Allison transmissions, but ours are just the standard 5spds. Boo-fucking-hoo, right? From what I understand, there were a limited number of these trucks made for testing/evaluation of all the features that would have eventually turned into an A3 model, but the military abandoned the M939 trucks before that happened.

Anyway, we only meant to buy two of them, but we ended up with an extra one. Can't really afford to keep it, so will probably be putting it up for sale sometime soon-ish. They're going for quite a bit more than the A2 trucks, but personally, think the additional safety the rollcages offer makes them worth the extra money.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #1292 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Damn! That engine looks brand new! Seriously? Only 31 hours on it?

Did you at least make a profit on selling the 5-tons?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1293 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Damn! That engine looks brand new! Seriously? Only 31 hours on it?

Did you at least make a profit on selling the 5-tons?
Yeah, you can't really go by the hours and odometers in these vehicles though. Think a lot of times they just pull them out of a parts bin, so you can really only go by the physical condition of the trucks.

We did alright on the 5-tons, yeah. Helped us get into these hightops.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #1294 (permalink)

Member # 168725
They look like a dude with a sweet hightop hairdo

SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1295 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Yes. Yes they do. No question they're ugly, but think the rollcage makes it worth it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #1296 (permalink)

Member # 102461
the roll cage wasn't so much for safety as it was to support the heavy gun ring mounts and the cupolas that sat atop them. I agree, definitely much safer, but a lot of the features present in your hightop trucks wound up being incorporated into the LMTV/FMTV family. that's a pretty neat piece of history you've got there.

Last edited by Helomedic1171; 12-05-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Helomedic1171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #1297 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helomedic1171 View Post
the roll cage wasn't so much for safety as it was to support the heavy gun ring mounts and the cupolas that sat atop them. I agree, definitely much safer, but a lot of the features present in your hightop trucks wound up being incorporated into the LMTV/FMTV family. that's a pretty neat piece of history you've got there.
eh, dunno about that. These rollcages are a lot more extensive/substantial than would make sense to support a gun-ring. Know the old deuce an 800 series 5-tons had problems with the cabs coming apart, so they made those reinforcing plates for the cabs. Mine has one. But consensus seems to be that these safety measures were incorporated into the M939's because of their abysmal safety record. There were a lot of incidents/rollovers/fatalities in these vehicles. Pretty sure more than any other military vehicle. Think that had mostly to do with the engines stalling under panic braking in the older trucks without ABS. Then you'd lose power steering and...
Old 12-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #1298 (permalink)

Member # 102461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Then you'd lose power steering and...
boom. bad stuff. makes sense. you may be right - the second vehicle I drove in the Army was an M35A2 (and later an A3) and then a 939. I liked the M35 with the manual, but I vastly prefer the LMTV/FMTV over the 939. (braking is better and the armored cab LMTV has A/C. )
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #1299 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helomedic1171 View Post
boom. bad stuff. makes sense. you may be right - the second vehicle I drove in the Army was an M35A2 (and later an A3) and then a 939. I liked the M35 with the manual, but I vastly prefer the LMTV/FMTV over the 939. (braking is better and the armored cab LMTV has A/C. )
Yeah, we're starting to see a few of those coming through surplus, like this one that looked kinda beat and sold for $15,500 yesterday. 5-tons are plentiful, so parts are going to be a lot cheaper/easier to get for a while, at least until there's more of the newer trucks out there. But I'm looking forward to that too, and it's pretty likely that we'll get into those eventually. The deuces and 5-tons are rad in the meantime though, and as promotional vehicles, think they'll make a lot cooler looking gypsy-wagon-caravan.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 12-07-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1300 (permalink)

Member # 177695
These are bad ass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in