2G? Alternator help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
2G? Alternator help

Just did an engine swap with an 88 5.0 out of a Mercury cougar. I've got everything pretty close except the charging system. I think its a 2G alternator (I know they're inferior and I should change it out, but I'm not going to right now)
How do i hook up the wiring? I've read the wiring diagrams and I can't get it to work. I'm honestly starting to think the alternator is bad. There are 4/5 wires that are coming out of it. On the top plug there are 2 large blk/org and a blk/wht. (one of the blk/org ties back into the alternator the other blk/org comes out with the bottom wires.) On the bottom there is a yellow and a green wire. Pictures below, please help.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Busted" Budget Buggy; EFI 302, C6, NP205, HP KP Dana 60, 14 Bolt Rear, 40" Maxxis Trepadors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maquet24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
http://oldfuelinjection.com/

http://oldfuelinjection.com/public/a...ALT_wiring.gif
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
I've seen and used this exact wiring diagram but mine is a little differnt. One of my blk/org ties back into the alternator/wiring harness and the blk/wht was just a loose wire, what do I do with it? ( I hooked it up to an accessory power)

"Busted" Budget Buggy; EFI 302, C6, NP205, HP KP Dana 60, 14 Bolt Rear, 40" Maxxis Trepadors

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Why don't you take the alternator off and run it down to any of 5 or 6 parts stores and have them confirm it good or bad?

Seriously, it could save you some headache. I do it with all junkyard/unknown alternators because it's free.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 55462
The two big blk/org wires from the top plug and the yel wire from the other plug goes to battery hot, like the solenoid post. The grn/rd wire from the other plug goes ign hot through a warning light if you have one, and the white and blk wire from each plug tie together.
PowerStrokeTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
Why don't you take the alternator off and run it down to any of 5 or 6 parts stores and have them confirm it good or bad?

Seriously, it could save you some headache. I do it with all junkyard/unknown alternators because it's free.
Probably a good call. I'll do that tomorrow.

Also strictly hypothetically speaking if I did switch to a 1 wire GM Alternator or a 3G do I have to modify my mount?

Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
3G depending on what size you get ( how many amps) you'll have to grind a little off the mount. Not a big deal.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 84339
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the alternator style you have. 2 wires to the bat, the rest go to the alt/wiring harness.

And it works.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84339
5 fuckin' minutes in my haynes manual found this.

If you don't have one for the engine you're swapping in, you're probably not doing it right

I left if big so you can see the letters. If your colors don't match, pick a different year.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_Ranger_V8 View Post
5 fuckin' minutes in my haynes manual found this.

If you don't have one for the engine you're swapping in, you're probably not doing it right

I left if big so you can see the letters. If your colors don't match, pick a different year.
I appreciate you looking that up in your antique "manual". I've been relying on this fancy new fangled contraption known as the internet for diagrams and instructions . Unfortunatly the colors don't match.
I did find markings on the back of the alternator though when I pulled it today. The labels were completely counterintuitive to every diagram I've seen so far. According to the ALT the Green wire is my "S" (along with the blk/wht) and I found a previously unused black wire hidden in the harness which was labeled "I"
Tomorrow I'll go get the ALT checked out to make sure it's still good, if it is I'll attempt to hook it up based on the labels.
Thanks again everyone for taking time to read/respond.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
Well the alternator was bad. Got a new one (I know I should have upgraded to a 3G or a GM, but it was just so easy to buy the new one right then and there. Also its got a lifetime warranty!)
Rewired based on labels, not colors. And low and behold I've got a working charging system. Thank you sweet baby Jesus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in