Dan's 90 FSB build - Page 23 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #551 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Soooooo what's the status on this thing? Together and you've been wheeling a whole bunch and we're about to get a slough of update posts?
ya what he said, where the updates at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #552 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Soooooo what's the status on this thing? Hoping you've got the driveline upgrades together and you've been wheeling a whole bunch and we're about to get a slough of update posts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
ya what he said, where the updates at
I knew I hadn't updated in a while but I didn't think it had been 10 months! Thanks for keeping me honest

In short, been busy with many (good) life things and another vehicle project.

I changed jobs at the beginning of 2019, I was at my prior job for a little over 7 years so I gave myself some time off between jobs. I bought a 46 CJ-2a and spent 6 weeks straight wrenching in the garage, was pretty awesome to forget about work and get buried in a project like that.

It's pretty close to stock (which was the goal), a solid runner, and we went snow wheeling back in February - logical in an open top, doorless 4x4 with no heat

Build thread here

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...d-wheeler.html

I also snuck in a track day at Sonoma / Sears Point with the Mustang. Had a lot of fun, didn't wreck it, and confirmed what I suspected: the car is far more capable than the driver.

I got married in August and then we spent 16 days honeymooning in Spain and France towards the end of September (Madrid, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Bordeaux, and Nice).

So yeah, lots of fun and exciting things, vehicular and otherwise. "Bad" news is the bronco hasn't gotten out much.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #553 (permalink)

Member # 120478
I did do a hardcore repair recently on the Bronco, had a leaking rear wheel seal

Thought this was funny...

Aaaand, its funny timing you bumped this thread when you did, as I actually got out in the bronco over the weekend, this was Friday, packed and ready to go, more to come

Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #554 (permalink)

Member # 120478
So this last weekend some buddies and I headed up to Slick Rock trail by Lake Alpine, way up Highway 4. We're talking 7,300' way up. A couple years back some local 4x4 clubs worked with the forest service to do a re-route on the trail around some private land that the trail used to go through. The result is actually a harder trail, there's a pretty gnarly uphill rock section, that will hopefully stay open for many years to come.

If you follow the 4x4 trail scene in CA, this was a pretty amazing feat; a 4x4 trail was expanded, made harder, and designed in a fashion that will keep it open for years to come. Kudos to the clubs that helped make this happen.

We had ran this trail about 4 years ago so it was nice to get out and do the trail again and check out the new section.

I left San Jose bright and early Saturday morning. And by bright and early I mean it was still dark out :/

If you're paying attention, yes I have a pickup and trailer, and yes I drove the Bronco instead. The truck and trailer are technically ready to go but this was a quick trip - out Saturday and home Sunday - and its just easier to drive the Bronco. We also weren't planning on wheeling a lot or doing anything hardcore, plus towing in CA the speed limit is 55 vs 65 in a normal vehicle and that makes a difference when you've got 3.5 hours each way.

We got to Lake Alpine around 11, claimed a campsite, unloaded some gear and hit the trail head around 11:30.

Jeep Trail?

We chatted with some friendly rangers at the trail head who were basically warning lesser rigs about what lay ahead. They apparently turned away a 2WD ranger earlier in the day. They also do a lot to help keep the trail open so thanks to our friendly local rangers!

We locked hubs (haven't done that in a while!) and hit the trail

First major obstacle, #hardcore!!!!1

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 10-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #555 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Climbing this not-so-steep ledge I pretty quickly noticed the driver front wasn't spinning... So the tools came out and the hub came apart. #thisisastupidhobby

The hub assembly had a little water intrusion and wasn't letting the pieces move to engage. So after a little clean up and some WD-40 things were back together. Will need further attention but was 100% trail fixed.

So we carried on #hardcore!

This is the new section, much easier going down!

We didn't make it too far before stomaches were growling and we decided to stop and eat. At elevation in October it was only about 65 but it felt amazing in the sun

Love the mountains! Rocks, trees, and that magical smell...

We ventured down the trail a bit, decided we were ready for beers in camp, and turned around. Like I said before this was not a hardcore trail riding kinda day.

My buddy got some good money shots coming up the new section. This was 100:1 low-low range crawling with some gnarly suspension flex, a little tap of throttle to spin tires and bump rocks here and there, and a touch of spotter kind of situation. Really fun section.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #556 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Gratuitous flex shots. You're welcome

Coming down this ledge... I got too close to the trees on the passenger side... This was a jinxed-it kind of moment. Earlier in the day I said to my passenger that I'd need to be careful wheeling with the fiberglass top on as I'm usually topless. Not only is the truck quite a bit wider with the top on but it's fragile. With the top off there's only steel roll cage to run into, which doesn't concern me.

So right on queue, I took out the back window. Considering I've been wheeling this truck for something like 16+ years... not too bad... Still a little upset about it... but... such is wheeling...

The window stayed in place for the drive home so at least there's not glass everywhere.

All in all a fun trip. Not a ton of wheeling but was great to get out, the lock the hubs, do a few hard obstacles, and then camp with friends. Beer always tastes better around the campfire in the mountains.

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 10-17-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #557 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Looks like a fun trip!

Will you just replace the glass or do you plan to replace it with Lexan or something to make it more robust? I suppose 16 years of wheeling and only one busted window is a pretty good rate of replacement.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #558 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Looks like a fun trip!

Will you just replace the glass or do you plan to replace it with Lexan or something to make it more robust? I suppose 16 years of wheeling and only one busted window is a pretty good rate of replacement.
I'll just put glass back in it. I need a windshield too. I've got a local shop I like for glass that's very affordable so I'll likely have them do both the windshield and that side rear window soon. Hard to believe but we might actually have some rain soon

And yes it was a fun trip. Man it was nice to get out. Something therapeutic about sitting around the fire with your buddies having a few drinks. The giant rib-eye didn't hurt either
Old 10-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #559 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I feel ya on that one. I also got married in August and I haven't been wheeling since my bachelor party in July. I'm itching to get back, but it probably won't be until mid-November

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #560 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
We hit slick rock 2 weekends before in the flat fender, it was wicked fun!
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #561 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
We hit slick rock 2 weekends before in the flat fender, it was wicked fun!
I heard you guys had a good time. That new section would be a little different with open diffs and smaller tires!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #562 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
wicked pictures as always

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #563 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Glad to hear that this thing is still out and about! And thanks for sharing the photos!

2019 has been a very slow wheeling year for us as well. I'm hoping that 2020 finds us out on the trail a bit more!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #564 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Nice pics. Been so long since I've gone wheeling. Endless shit to do. Thanks for sharing.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #565 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage. View Post
Glad to hear that this thing is still out and about! And thanks for sharing the photos!

2019 has been a very slow wheeling year for us as well. I'm hoping that 2020 finds us out on the trail a bit more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Nice pics. Been so long since I've gone wheeling. Endless shit to do. Thanks for sharing.
Funny how life gets in the way. Hope you both find / make a reason to get out soon!

And thanks for the feedback, as long as y'all "like" my pics I'll keep posting
Old 10-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #566 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I like your pics!!! Keep posting!

We gotta keep Pirate alive.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #567 (permalink)

Member # 860834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Beer always tastes better around the campfire in the mountains.
I completely agree. Looks like a fun trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in