1999 f150 superduty sas - Page 14 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #326 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Awesome update. That first picture climbing up the stair step with the water in the background is awesome. Another full-size friend here, keep at it!

How do you like the Nittos? they seem to work well for you? I'm eyeing a set of 40s. I want a little more tire than the 38s I have now.
Before he chimes in, everyone I've spoken with about the Nitto's has had good things to say about them. If they had been as price competitive when I bought my ProComp's as they are now, I probably also would have ended up with a set.

That said, nearly every 40 out there right now would be a good choice, frankly. On a heavier truck I'd shy away from the ProComps though, because they supposedly have a weaker (ish) sidewall - didn't know this until after I bought mine.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #327 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
man i hate jeep retards that think just cause its not a jeep you cant wheel, let alone out wheel them and take the hard lines and not bitch out and take the mall crawler lines. wicked pictures as always and very jealous of the trip as moab is on the to wheel list for me but just so damn far way.
Fullsize invasion is on my bucket list....I will def say, I get a laugh out of the buggy and jeep guys that hate on fullsizes.....mainly jeep guys that think if a jeep wont do it nothing can. I find wheelbase and weight are more often than a help than a hindrance as a full size guy. I do miss my body panels looking at those rigs, but i like my tube haha.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #328 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Seen your truck a few times on IG from the fullsize invasion. One of these years I need to make it out there for that... maybe you'll even have a wheeling buddy (in a fullsize no less) in or around Colorado Springs in the next few years too. If you can stand wheeling with a Chevy, that is :P

Looks awesome and sounds like an absolute blast. I'm quite jealous of ya!
No need to be jealous, when you move out here you can have the same fun, and by then I should know all the good spots to take you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mad Max' View Post
Hell yeah - please do. We've got a great club for wheeling out here called Big Horn 4x4s - all makes/models are welcome - they welcomed me and a few of my friends - all with big Dodge's - and we have a blast. I sold the monster truck and am now wheeling an '02 Dakota quad cab (basically a narrower version of the beastie) - currently it's on 33s until SAS time and then it goes on 40s - maybe 42s if I can find a radial tire I like. Anyway yah PM me your info and we'll link up.

- Sam
Sent you a pm with my number, look forward to meeting up. Also looked up your club, looks like there is a trip planned in a couple weeks, we will plan on being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Awesome update. That first picture climbing up the stair step with the water in the background is awesome. Another full-size friend here, keep at it!

How do you like the Nittos? they seem to work well for you? I'm eyeing a set of 40s. I want a little more tire than the 38s I have now.
I love the nittos, best tire I have run or have experience with. I ran 35" Goodyear Kevlar before the solid axle swap and the never balanced well and wore quickly and were ok in the rocks. The nittos are balanced with a Dixie cup or 1 1/2 Dixie cups of air soft bbs and roll down the road at 70 smooth and quiet for a mud tire, I feel they are quieter than the 35" goodyears.

The only issue I have had with the nittos is they are chunking. I can't really blame the nittos since the goodyears chunked and my neighbor back in Texas had his military 37" goodyears and 35" bfg km2 chunk too. I'm pretty sure it was the sharp rock where we used to wheel, and a heavy foot

My next set of tires will be Nittos again! And when my daily trucks tires wear out I will likely switch from BFG AT that I have been running my entire adult life. Probably try the nitto ridgegrappler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 fummins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Baron85; 04-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Baron85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #329 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Before he chimes in, everyone I've spoken with about the Nitto's has had good things to say about them. If they had been as price competitive when I bought my ProComp's as they are now, I probably also would have ended up with a set.

That said, nearly every 40 out there right now would be a good choice, frankly. On a heavier truck I'd shy away from the ProComps though, because they supposedly have a weaker (ish) sidewall - didn't know this until after I bought mine.
Agreed, I've generally heard great feedback on the Nitto's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron85 View Post
I love the nittos, best tire I have run or have experience with. I ran 35" Goodyear Kevlar before the solid axle swap and the never balanced well and wore quickly and were ok in the rocks. The nittos are balanced with a Dixie cup or 1 1/2 Dixie cups of air soft bbs and roll down the road at 70 smooth and quiet for a mud tire, I feel they are quieter than the 35" goodyears.

The only issue I have had with the nittos is they are chunking. I can't really blame the nittos since the goodyears chunked and my neighbor back in Texas had his military 37" goodyears and 35" bfg km2 chunk too. I'm pretty sure it was the sharp rock where we used to wheel, and a heavy foot

My next set of tires will be Nittos again! And when my daily trucks tires wear out I will likely switch from BFG AT that I have been running my entire adult life. Probably try the nitto ridgegrappler
Appreciate the feedback. A little chunking seems to be the nature of the beats with radials - they aren't quite as indestructible as bias but as you said, I love being able to drive down the road at 65. I had a set of 37" bias IROKs years ago that I foolishly had a shop balance, one tire took 16 ounces to balance... a friggin pound!
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #330 (permalink)

Member # 110114
for another opinion, when I go to 40's I'll be getting Toyo MTs - everyone I know with them absolutely loves them - they have incredible 'grip' on the rock we have out here in Colorado and Utah, they have bulletproof sidewalls, need nearly no weight to balance out, and they're a very 'round' tire and awesome on the highway. For me that's a big bonus because I plan to drive my truck on the street a lot, especially to/from the trails.

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 04-07-2018 at 03:41 PM.
'Mad Max' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #331 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mad Max' View Post
for another opinion, when I go to 40's I'll be getting Toyo MTs - everyone I know with them absolutely loves them - they have incredible 'grip' on the rock we have out here in Colorado and Utah, they have bulletproof sidewalls, need nearly no weight to balance out, and they're a very 'round' tire and awesome on the highway. For me that's a big bonus because I plan to drive my truck on the street a lot, especially to/from the trails.
Agreed, I've heard great things about the Toyos too.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #332 (permalink)

Member # 760185
Awesome build and very cool to see a full size out and about. Read through your whole build thread. Hope it keeps going

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
ddonohue15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #333 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
It will keep going. We are thinking about applying for ultimate adventure next year, to do so we have a few things to upgrade. We need a cage, maybe high steer, and bumpers

2002 fummins

Old 04-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #334 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron85 View Post
It will keep going. We are thinking about applying for ultimate adventure next year, to do so we have a few things to upgrade. We need a cage, maybe high steer, and bumpers
You'd do great on the UA! Cage is a requirement. Would you keep the wheelbase the same length? I've noticed in past years that there's never been an extended cab truck with a normal length bed. I've applied for UA2018 (fingers crossed) and am about to shorten mine 12-15 inches.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #335 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
You'd do great on the UA! Cage is a requirement. Would you keep the wheelbase the same length? I've noticed in past years that there's never been an extended cab truck with a normal length bed. I've applied for UA2018 (fingers crossed) and am about to shorten mine 12-15 inches.
I don't plan on shortening the wheelbase or bobbing the bed. It works so good the way it is I don't want to change anything.

The wife and I are tossing around the idea of buying a crew cab f150 or crew super duty to go a little more wild with and have more room for the kids. But I think this truck will stay pretty close to the way it is for a while.

Good luck on getting into the ultimate adventure!!!!

2002 fummins

Old 04-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #336 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Fair enough. I'm worried my chances of making it are smaller if I don't shorten the WB. What's your wheelbase at now out of curiosity?

For me at least, the trails are so tight in the midwest that a bit tighter turning radius definitely wouldn't hurt. But out west I almost certainly wouldn't bother.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #337 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
But out west I almost certainly wouldn't bother.
Not so fast! The "crown jewel of the Sierras", the Rubicon, has quite a few narrow spots. It's where most of my body damage has come from. Fordyce is tight and probably worse for body damage than the Rubicon, especially if you take the harder lines. Dusy is tight too.

Gotta go south. Desert. Lotsa room (:
Old 04-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #338 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I'll clarify then. South west, I almost certainly wouldn't bother.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #339 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Time for an update.

Have been pretty busy since Moab, ended up with 3rd degree chemical burns on both knees. Spent a week in the ICU and 2 more in the burn unit. Had 2 debreadment surgerys and then skin grafts. I'm finally getting around better and have been able to get out and do some wheeling.

I was able to meet up with @DMANbluesfreak and went out wheeling for an afternoon. Lots of fun getting to meet fellow fullsize guys!

Name:  IMG_3730.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  102.8 KB

Today we were able to get out on a couple local trails called Hackett gulch and predator. Overall pretty easy trail with great views. We were able to have a picnic on the river and let the kids play in the water for a bit. About half way through predator we came across some poor guy from oklahoma with a dead alternator in his side by side. We were able to pull him back to his camp.

Name:  IMG_3731.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3732.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3733.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  112.4 KB

The truck has been running good and performing well. Really want to get a cage built but not sure when I will have time but want to get it done so I can apply for the ultimate adventure next year.

2002 fummins

Old 06-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #340 (permalink)

Member # 120478
That last picture is awesome!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #341 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
It has been so awesome moving up here. We were sitting on our back porch around noon today talking about what we wanted to do and decided to go wheeling. No planning just jump in the truck and 20 minutes later we were in the dirt! Back in Texas a wheeling trip was planned a month or more in advance and only a couple times a year. Plus the views and weather is so much better up here!!!

2002 fummins

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #342 (permalink)

Member # 110114
I love those trails - good fun, close by, and great scenery!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #343 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
love the updates and amazing wheeling pics

snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #344 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 168108
Love this thing. I get the same thing when I drive the Volvo and then I follow them up stuff that blows their minds.
dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #345 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Something pretty odd, and awesome happened today while at the grocery store. Glancing through the magazine rack I noticed a familiar truck on the cover of Four Wheeler magazine!!!!! It was such a crazy feeling realizing all over the country is a picture of our truck. Anyways, totally pumped! Thanks Fullsize Invasion, Jerrod Jones, and Four Wheeler magazine. What an honor!

Name:  IMG_3817.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3819.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  94.1 KB

2002 fummins

Last edited by Baron85; 07-11-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #346 (permalink)

Member # 110114
very cool!

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 07-12-2018 at 08:25 AM.
'Mad Max' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #347 (permalink)

Member # 42546
Now everybody at work will believe you when you say do wheel it. Lol
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #348 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
That's badass dude.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #349 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Badass man! I saw these just the other day and meant to text you about it, but you figured it out on your own

Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #350 (permalink)

Member # 120478
I just saw mine in the stack of mail and thought, "hey I know that truck!" Congrats dude!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in