1999 f150 superduty sas - Page 15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #351 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Bump, just read thru this as I am sorta planning to swap an ‘05+ Dana 60 into my dads bronco buggy. Basically want to copy what you did. As a note to that, how wide are the radius arm spacing? Do you find it limits turning radius on the 40’s? Or are your arms angled torwards the center of the belly?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 AM   #352 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Bump, just read thru this as I am sorta planning to swap an Ď05+ Dana 60 into my dads bronco buggy. Basically want to copy what you did. As a note to that, how wide are the radius arm spacing? Do you find it limits turning radius on the 40ís? Or are your arms angled torwards the center of the belly?
Not sure what the spacing is but my arms come straight back off the axle. When I built the arms the tubing is offset to the inside of the axle mount. As far as turning, I have small rub marks on both radius arms. My hydraulic ram bottoms out just before the steering stops on the axle if I remember correctly.

Let me know if you want anymore pictures or measurements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 fummins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Baron85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 04:06 AM   #353 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Little update. Havenít been out much with the truck lately but was able to take it for a spin this weekend. Took it to Buena Vista with a group and ran chinamans gulch. Also ran part of the way up carnage canyon while we were waiting for the rest of the group in the morning. Did the most damage I have done yet weekend! And sadly was saved by a Jeep 3 times .

Carnage lived up to its name. Ended up bending the tie rod again and actually broke is at the split adjuster end, first save of the day my friend has a premier power welder in his jeep. A little further up carnage I took out a tail light and some minor damage to the bed side. Then slid off my line and turtled out. Pulled my winch line and couldnít get the winch to retract so Jeep save number 2. At this point we turned around to go meet our group and while turning around I had a rock flip up and break my rear brake line right at the caliper.

Chinamans started off with a bang. Our group consisted of 2 built yjs, a built cj7, rubicon, and a 80ís Toyota. First big obstacle of the trail the Toyota blew up the rear diff. He was able to drive it back to the trailer and jump in with someone. Rest of the trail was made with no real damage. Got the truck turtled again and had to be saved by a Jeep again but other than that the truck performed excellent. Had a lot of fun with a great group of people.

2002 fummins

Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #354 (permalink)

Member # 110114
was good to meet/wheel with you an the family out there Baron - look forward to more good times like that - and yah I like Mac's welding setup enough that I'm setting up the Dak for the same system...

- Sam
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #355 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Presumably turtled means high centered and not flopped onto your lid?

Where are the pics???!?!!

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #356 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Presumably turtled means high centered and not flopped onto your lid?

Where are the pics???!?!!
I sure hope that's what he meant and didn't roll it twice in one trip!

Excellent work on the truck, love that you're not afraid to wheel it.
I looked back through your thread and totally share your sentiment on many in the Jeep crowd. It's unfortunate they have that attitude toward full size guys. I've been to Snow wheeling oriented events here in Michigan comprised of 97% Jeep brand. Many of them don't want to talk to you, and I've even had them talking S**t about my rig on the radio during a run...
My core group of wheelers are all full size and non-Jeep guys, and we always have a nice drama free time, no matter what!

Keep it up!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #357 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Here are some pictures, I stole the link from the club I went with, hope thatís ok.

As far as Jeep people, I really enjoy the ribbing and the ones that are jerks I really enjoy showing them what a full-size can do. Fortunately the group I went with this weekend was an awesome group of people that just havenít seen the light and ditched the jeeps yet

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RxWERJdmxyeWpR

2002 fummins

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #358 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron85 View Post
Here are some pictures, I stole the link from the club I went with, hope thatís ok.

As far as Jeep people, I really enjoy the ribbing and the ones that are jerks I really enjoy showing them what a full-size can do. Fortunately the group I went with this weekend was an awesome group of people that just havenít seen the light and ditched the jeeps yet

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RxWERJdmxyeWpR
Was that Whale rock you walked right up? Nice.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #359 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdude View Post
Was that Whale rock you walked right up? Nice.
I donít think it was. Iím pretty sure whale rock is the obstacle just past the sandy wash with whale rock being the far left line. I didnít try it, I donít think I could have gotten my front tires on it and if I could have I would have just high centered on the rear bumper.

2002 fummins

Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #360 (permalink)

Member # 110114
Quote:

As far as Jeep people, I really enjoy the ribbing and the ones that are jerks I really enjoy showing them what a full-size can do. Fortunately the group I went with this weekend was an awesome group of people that just haven’t seen the light and ditched the jeeps yet
...I know the feeling - a couple of us brought a mild 'Dodge Invasion' to the gang and there were never any bad feelings - one of the things I like most about the club is that it really does come down to your character and driving skill - you'll never see any open beers or childish actions, and sure while there's always going to be the prods and such no one really cares what yer driving.

Whale Rock is the one you described just past the wash - not sure what the big one at the end is called - I just call it 'the wall'. The only truck I've ever seen get up Whale Rock was my last rig, but with 46's, 36" of belly clearance, and a 144" wheelbase it really wasn't a surprise. It'll be interesting to see if the Dakota can do it 'unassisted' - I kinda doubt it.

Oh and no worries about sharing the pics

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 05-21-2019 at 08:11 AM.
'Mad Max' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #361 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Bump, just read thru this as I am sorta planning to swap an Ď05+ Dana 60 into my dads bronco buggy. Basically want to copy what you did. As a note to that, how wide are the radius arm spacing? Do you find it limits turning radius on the 40ís? Or are your arms angled torwards the center of the belly?
Quote:
Not sure what the spacing is but my arms come straight back off the axle. When I built the arms the tubing is offset to the inside of the axle mount. As far as turning, I have small rub marks on both radius arms. My hydraulic ram bottoms out just before the steering stops on the axle if I remember correctly.

Let me know if you want anymore pictures or measurements.
Sooo I am finally there. Looking at these axles....they are made to fit into these older trucks....but honest question, wheeling with 40's..do you find that you get into the lower radius arm mounts? Like when driving forward over rocks...do they hang you up? Debating on cutting all that off, or for the sake of time, and money, just putting it in with stock brackets and a ruffstuff radius arm kit.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #362 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
Sooo I am finally there. Looking at these axles....they are made to fit into these older trucks....but honest question, wheeling with 40's..do you find that you get into the lower radius arm mounts? Like when driving forward over rocks...do they hang you up? Debating on cutting all that off, or for the sake of time, and money, just putting it in with stock brackets and a ruffstuff radius arm kit.
I have hit the radius arm mounts a few times but honestly, it would not be worth the work to cut them off and redo them. The biggest complaint I have with the front axle is the low tierod. I am on number 3. Dragging my feet but really need to step up and do high steer.

2002 fummins

Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #363 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Does it bend or what is the problem with the low tierod?

Mine is forced to be pretty low, due to the leaf springs (or super high up), but it's not super often that I bash it into things. It is a tiny bit deformed, I'll admit - but my next step is to try a 7075 tie rod since they have a higher yield strength (resistance to permanent bending) than steel.
https://youtu.be/gTmzdaRxbCg

Since you have the 05+ D60, I think you'd at least need to run offset TREs and/or a low-clearance cover (or the stock cover), which I'm not sure is even doable on the passenger side if you still have the factory-style drag link attachment. Food for thought though.

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #364 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Does it bend or what is the problem with the low tierod?

Mine is forced to be pretty low, due to the leaf springs (or super high up), but it's not super often that I bash it into things. It is a tiny bit deformed, I'll admit - but my next step is to try a 7075 tie rod since they have a higher yield strength (resistance to permanent bending) than steel.
https://youtu.be/gTmzdaRxbCg

Since you have the 05+ D60, I think you'd at least need to run offset TREs and/or a low-clearance cover (or the stock cover), which I'm not sure is even doable on the passenger side if you still have the factory-style drag link attachment. Food for thought though.
The factory tierod is pretty thin and the ends that the tierods thread into are split to allow the clamps to cinch the adjustment. I hit mine quite a few times and unfortunately it just doesnít take much abuse and bends right at the end of the tierod ends where the tierod is split. The tierod ends are super beefy and I have considered getting a custom tierod made at a machine shop out of thicker/stronger metal and that would probably fix my issue since I usually donít run into rock super hard.

2002 fummins

Old 10-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #365 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Ohhhh, that's a good idea. I've seen the tie rods before, the ends are super beefy, indeed.
I like the idea of a simple, fabricated tie rod with jam nuts instead of those split threads or whatever.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #366 (permalink)

Member # 742465
Any updates? Allows enjoyed this build. Great work
Bowtech99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in