91 trail Ranger build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 115835
I like the "Not a Jeep" sticker. I need one of those.

Those gauges are pretty sweet.

Last edited by damarble; 04-10-2014 at 12:04 AM.
damarble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Your dog appears to be very interested in the headers
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 125974
Lookin good. I like the gauge setup

Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Your dog appears to be very interested in the headers
Shop dawg approved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH View Post
Lookin good. I like the gauge setup
I hopefully will wire everything up this weekend and get power to them so we can check everything out. Its getting real close to firing up.
grunizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I got a ton of work done this weekend on the truck. Unfortunately Friday fist thing I dropped my phone and ****ed it up, so the pictures are limited and shitty at best.
I got the headers welded, 02 bungs installed and painted. I got my radiator from speedway mounted. I had to cut the middle of the core support apart but then made a new upper and lower crossbeam that the radiator sits in. I am using the stock fan and I have clearance to install and remove it with the radiator installed. I cut the AC mount off and mounted the ignition coil there instead. Also I made my tranny hump cover, installed the console, shifter and a battery disconnect. Wired the battery back into the truck, and I hooked up my gauges. They are sweet! Finally I located my remote oil filter. Tuesday I start 2 weeks of vacation, I am planning to crank this engine over this week. I am still waiting on transfer case parts, then I need drive shafts and I need exhaust pieces to run from the headers to the mufflers.
Also the alternator wiring, fuel connects, and power steering were direct swap over to the 89 bronco accessories (except fuel line length)

Last edited by grunizzle; 04-13-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I have been trying my hardest all week to get this thing started. It seems the harder I try the harder it fights back. I've ran into multiple issues, had a cracked thermostat housing, junk fuel pressure regulator and now I'm chasing wires trying to get this thing to run. I think I have it all figured out and hopefully tomorrow I can hear this thing breath (open headers).

The motor and tranny are all permanently installed, Im waiting on my shifters and front output shaft to install the transfercases, then I can make the exhaust and measure for drive shafts to get this thing on the road.

Here is how my headers turned out:

driver side clearance next to steering shaft:

Here is how the engine and everything are looking:

I deleted smog and AC, I used a 83 3/4'' belt to make it work.

Here is how I am planning to run the mufflers, driverside is going to be especially tight with the 3'' tube and transfercase

Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I got all the wiring figured out and was getting close to cranking it, I was turning it by hand to get TDC on #1 to install the distributer and then found out my flex plate is bent on one spot and drags the teeth across the starter. Time to order more backordered parts and sit on my thumb for 3 weeks.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 121122
Looking good so far. Hate to hear about your dilemma. Your mufflers are right in the middle of where my 4 link crossmember is. What is the deal on the flexplate? I wouldn't think the leadtime would be that much, unless your having it balanced?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redriverranger View Post
Looking good so far. Hate to hear about your dilemma. Your mufflers are right in the middle of where my 4 link crossmember is. What is the deal on the flexplate? I wouldn't think the leadtime would be that much, unless your having it balanced?
Well I need a 157 tooth (small) and 28 oz balance on it, which for whatever reason seems to be hard to find. The frst place I called was TCI, and they told me 1.5-2 weeks before they had them in stock. I am going to hunt around some more, but I haven't had luck yet.
Yeah my mufflers would get in the way of a 4 link, but for my setup right now it seems to be the most ideal spot. I might try and play around with their location a bit more and see what I can do. I'm just glad I caught the flexplate before I cranked this thing up.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I scored the right flexplate on craigslist from mustang guy, also got a bigger bbk throttle body, and a c &l maf housing. Spent last weekend dropping the tranny and replacing the bent flexplate. The girlfriend helped me drop and install the tranny so that was nice. Also got the dana 300 put togther, 32 spline front and rear shafts, 1350 flange on the rear, and flip kit from behmoth. Tidied up the wiring and set the distributer in just to see how it looks.

All I am waiting for to fire it is another set of hands to help me find TDC and stab the dist, and I want a 2nd set of eyes on it when I do fire it up to look for leaks or anything bad happening.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Awesome as usual.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 165077
Nice work!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #63 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well after fighting all night I had to call it quits with the truck. Tried and tried to get it to start but nothing. I did discover that I hooked the injector wiring to the opposite sides and fixed that. Also fought with a weak battery and played musical batteries. Then the starter shit the bed. So I am going to get a new starter and try again first thing in the AM. I guess old starter don't like trying to push brand new engines with some bumped up compression lol.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #64 (permalink)
jtr
Rock God

Member # 41068
Which starter do you have? Ford used a gear reduction starter on later small blocks. I bought one off Amazon for about $54 and its been working great on my 10.5:1 393W. You just need to make sure you get one that matches the transmission you have.

Amazon.com: STARTER MOTOR 92 93 94 95 96 FORD E-SERIES VAN 4.9 5.0 E9SF-11000-AA: Automotive
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #65 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr View Post
Which starter do you have? Ford used a gear reduction starter on later small blocks. I bought one off Amazon for about $54 and its been working great on my 10.5:1 393W. You just need to make sure you get one that matches the transmission you have.

Amazon.com: STARTER MOTOR 92 93 94 95 96 FORD E-SERIES VAN 4.9 5.0 E9SF-11000-AA: Automotive
It's a stock starter for the bronco with a 5.8 and auto tranny. I just got a new one, wish I would have seen this first and tried one of the gear reduction units
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I got one of the newer PMGR style starters today from autozone for a late model. It definitely can spin the motor up. Problem is I am not getting ignition. We have fuel in the cylinders, and we are getting spark when we pull plugs but it won't start. Just pops and won't fully light off. I am using an a9l computer with a chip installed to run the 351. Tried just a stock computer but that didn't change anything either. I don't know really where to go next. It's a brand new distributer assembly as well. Any ideas will be great
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 87708
Looks like shit... As usual!

I'll tell you what. I'll take it off your hands... I'll even pay for shipping!
charliesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #68 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Solved my problem. Serious mistake by me lol. I know the dist spins counter clockwise, even primed it like that. But for whatever reason I stuck the plugs on clockwise. The bitch screams! Running stock ecu right now, I need to get my chip reflagged the mail program is going to blow the engine up. Videos to come
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
shit just got real

Last edited by grunizzle; 06-22-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 475137
This build is amazing. I can't wait to tear into my ranger after deployment
mineman_bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #71 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineman_bruce View Post
This build is amazing. I can't wait to tear into my ranger after deployment
thanks man, and I know exactly that feeling! Got deployed twice while I've been building. Stay safe man
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #72 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Front axle looks small for all that sound awesome got to be a good day.

Last edited by RANGERROD; 06-22-2014 at 10:48 PM.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 120446
I hear you on the ignition troubles. I couldn't get mine to run after rebuilding the transmission. I had fuel pressure, and no spark or injector pulse. Rebuilt the distributor and got no change. Then I wiggled the wiring for the ignition switch and it fired up like nothing was ever wrong. I think I have a loose pin in the column.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #74 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
You are going to want to brace the core support up more than that.. Or add a frame cross member under it. I cut mine out for the radiator and it eventually cracked in half, and the head light areas sagged.

Oh, and for a flexplate if you need one again later... 1972 Ranchero with a 302. That's where I got my 157 tooth 28oz plate from the parts store.

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #75 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
I am planning to add another brace to it on the bottom half. I figured it would be a good idea too, thanks for the heads up. There is also a plate welded on that goes across the top of the frame rails and the radiator sits on that as well. Kind of hard to see it in the pics though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in