91 trail Ranger build - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Painted up
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #127 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Well I got the rig out on the rocks finally. I swapped in the taurus fan and made a shroud. Seems to work ok. I wired it so the low is triggered by a thermal switch and high is triggered via a red guarded switch in the cab. Normal driving it keeps the engine temps 190-210. Transmission seems to be all over the place. I think the temp sender for the tranny is too close to the exhaust and it gets soaked with radiant heat. According to the gauge at one point doing 60 mph in 90 degrees caused it to hit 230. But just crawling on the rocks it stayed at around 200. The only heat issue that had me worried was driving back on the freeway on a steep grade about 2 miles long, the engine go super hot it hit 230 as I pulled over. So I guess I need to keep working on my cooling system.

grunizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #128 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Looking good buddy. What about one of those high dollar dual fan setups?

That is probably the one thing I worried about most is temperature control with both my rigs. Are you running aux puller fans for anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The never-ending project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #129 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Just the Taurus fan, I thought it should be enough but now I don't know. I'm also wondering if I need to maybe cut some holes in the shroud for air flow at high speed like the freeway
Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 606169
Great build! I have a 1990 and have been searching for ideas. Yours is almost exactly what I imagined mine to be. I will be purchasing all of my parts while I'm on my deployment too. I hope you don't mind me asking questions along the way.
Echo6Delta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #131 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Do you have any heat extractors?

Are you running the ranger radiator?

The never-ending project

Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 PM   #132 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
What do you mean by heat extractors? I have a speedway universal aluminum radiator.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #133 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunizzle View Post
What do you mean by heat extractors? I have a speedway universal aluminum radiator.
Duh, I remember you saying that earlier. Sorry for the repeat question.

Vents, like all the ja-heeps and shit have. Ja-heeps have a really bad problem with heat soak, and your truck running at a constant RPM for that long could be causing heat soak if there really is no way for all that heat to escape under the hood.

The never-ending project

Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #134 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
I put 3/8" rubber spacers between the hood hinge and hood at the rear on mine to give a poor man's "cowl" hood and let the head out during the summer for mine.

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #135 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Yeah after this last outing I have another list of things to do.
-figure out cooling issue, make speed holes in shroud for highway operations
-move transmission temp sender closer to radiator to reduce chance of false reading from exhaust manifold
-adjust t case linkages, had an issue with 2wd hi popping out of gear a couple time
-heat shield mufflers
-extend exhaust to exit down and out from the sides of the bed instead of just down pipes (sounds cool, annoying when you cant hear your spotter

Ive also been throwing around the idea of starting a different transmission. I should have got a tranny with OD from the start, but you live and learn. I'm thinking about adapting to a 700 r4 since my t-case input spline would still match. Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #136 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
700 are great after a rebuild. Stock clutches and torque converter can't really handle anything other than being behind a 200hp 305, so I'd fix those, and run a good cooler. That super low 1st gear and relatively small case makes them a kick ass trans

The never-ending project

Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #137 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
700r4 makes the most sense. I know I think my slight over heating issue is due to not having over drive.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #138 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
That's kind of what I've been thinking too. It's going to be quite an investment though, and I'm not 100% convinced yet it's the way to go. I've been reading a ton of horror stories of guys that can't get them to live in an off-road setup.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #139 (permalink)
FoMoCo MoFo

Member # 79002
Location: My little kingdom of awesome. Near Olympia, Thurston county, Wa
AOD with 4R70W guts...?

Quote:
I want everyone to have everything. I want gays to be able to fuck each other in the ass, in the middle of a field of weed while shooting pistols in the air like yosemite sam shouting that there is no god.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #140 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunizzle View Post
That's kind of what I've been thinking too. It's going to be quite an investment though, and I'm not 100% convinced yet it's the way to go. I've been reading a ton of horror stories of guys that can't get them to live in an off-road setup.
guy on explorer forum, his name is Madness or Maniac or something like that. Has a blue 1st gen sploder with a 700r4 in it.

The never-ending project

Old 09-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 1408
Send a message via AIM to RockRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
guy on explorer forum, his name is Madness or Maniac or something like that. Has a blue 1st gen sploder with a 700r4 in it.
It is Maniak. So does another user Bkennedy but both of them are using the Advance Adapter bellhousing adapter and running them behind stock 4.0 engines.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #142 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRanger View Post
It is Maniak. So does another user Bkennedy but both of them are using the Advance Adapter bellhousing adapter and running them behind stock 4.0 engines.
That is true. Does AA make an adapter that would work with yours Grunz?

The never-ending project

Old 02-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #143 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Ok time for an overdue update. So the current plan is to swap in a ZF5 speed that is on it's way as we speak. Going back to manual will give me back over drive and that third pedal Ive been missing.

For transfer case and doubler, I found a Behemoth shorty doubler like the one I have on the C4, except this one has 1356 guts, 31 spline input and the correct pattern for the ZF5. So all I will have to do I swap the trannys and then swap the new doubler onto the dana 300 and save me a bunch of money from going to an entirely different setup.

Also I picked up a console from RockRanger a couple months ago and just finally go the motivation and warm weather to put it together. Its very nice and great quality! I painted it with rustoleum metal iron paint. It will get installed when I get the ZF5 put in.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 120004
That's the same setup I'm running. I just put my doubler back I after a rebuild. I moved the vent to the back half of the T-case and put an updated planetary in. I'm also going to run ATF instead of gear oil. Hopefully that'll keep it from puking the oil out when I get up to 45mph.

Weren't you having the same problem?
Old 02-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #145 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy fitzgerald View Post
That's the same setup I'm running. I just put my doubler back I after a rebuild. I moved the vent to the back half of the T-case and put an updated planetary in. I'm also going to run ATF instead of gear oil. Hopefully that'll keep it from puking the oil out when I get up to 45mph.

Weren't you having the same problem?
When I first installed my current doubler, it was puking fluid, but it was over serviced and I didn't have a catch can. I made a catch can and serviced it with less oil and I haven't had a problem with the fluid since. I did have several shift mechanism problems, but have also cured that in the current box and this new doubler has a different internal shifter than the previous 2 versions Jacob tried and it looks like it should.

When I swap this new setup in I'm also going to run ATF as well
Old 02-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 120004
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the new internal shift mechanism would you? Is Jacob still in business? He won't respond to me any more. He promised me a new box as a warranty due to the issues I've had. He stopped responding to me a year and a half ago.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #147 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
http://i64.tinypic.com/2m4stn6.jpg

That's the picture of the newer shift
Mechanism. I don't have a picture of the previous older designs that I had trouble with.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 120004
That looks like the same design I have. It would pop into neutral on me when I was going forwards down hill or accelerated then let off. I adjusted the detent adjuster about as far in as it will go with the lock nut still working. Hope that fixed it. If not I'll find a longer spring.
What did you do to fix the shift issue you were having?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #149 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 167342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy fitzgerald View Post
That looks like the same design I have. It would pop into neutral on me when I was going forwards down hill or accelerated then let off. I adjusted the detent adjuster about as far in as it will go with the lock nut still working. Hope that fixed it. If not I'll find a longer spring.
What did you do to fix the shift issue you were having?
The problem I had was that it wouldn't stay in high range at all, any speed or gear. The fix was a different shift mechanism. The first 2 styles Jacob tried are different than the current style. I hope this one doesn't pop out going downhill, that could be bad off road
Old 02-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Oh I see. I'm thinking it might be the depth of the shift detent holes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in