My 87 Ranger - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Well I think my cheapest route would be to buy a spool, gears and new axles for this axle. Every stirling and D70 axle I found was drum brake and people want too much for them.
I'll just deal with this one.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Finally got around to installing and trimming stock fenders on her. I found a company out of Colorado that builds custom speedometer cables also. Gonna get a measurement for that this weekend. $67 plus shipping.
Still haven't had the time to rebuild the trans and T-case crossmembers yet. The training I have to go through for this new job is pretty intense. Still have 11 1/2 weeks of training left.
Maybe I can get her running in time for memorial weekend.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Still ugly, just not as ugly now.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Had a speedo cable from an old lincoln or LTD maybe in my ranger, was like 2' longer than the ranger one
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 120004
I used a set of custom guages that were made for a Willys truck. I found them online and they were pretty cheap for a set. I bought 2 sets, one for this rig and another for my next project which is a 54 Willys truck. So now I have to get a custom cable made lol.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Well I planned on taking care of the crossmembers this weekend but my wife had other plans. She's getting back into rodeoing so I played dad all weekend. Now I'm back at work for the week.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Modified the x-member and now I'm at my sister-in-law's for my mother in-law's birthday, tryin to leave so I can go play!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Finally modified the T-case crossmember. I was able to lift the tail up about a inch. I may modify it again. If I trim the crossmember that's at the top of the frame I could lift it up another inch. The T-case vent is kissing it. The T-case bottom used to sit level with the bottom of the 2.5x2.5 square tube T-case crossmember. Now it doesn't hang down and I can build a solid belly pan.
I tried to take it for a test run yesterday but I learned a valuble parenting lesson instead. If your kid is gassy, don't take them to high elevations!!!
My daughter got fussy and as we climbed higher she cried louder. I felt horrible once I realized she was hurting. Needless to say, I turned around and went home.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 67357
Find you a cheap 14 bolt rear, weld it and beat it like it owes you money.
KyTrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyTrash View Post
Find you a cheap 14 bolt rear, weld it and beat it like it owes you money.<a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
I've thought about it. But ive got a D 60 already. I'll look into it more.

What gauge of metal is everyone else using for your belly pans?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 120478
1/4 and it's bent! Stupid heavy full size...
Dan90FSB is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #237 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
not really a cheap option but if you can get AR plate it will be way stronger and can run a thinner plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #238 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
1/4 and it's bent! Stupid heavy full size...
I was thinking .25" plate but was aprehensive of the weight. Im contemplating .120 and building a frame of 1" square stock on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
not really a cheap option but if you can get AR plate it will be way stronger and can run a thinner plate
Whats AR plate?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 192237
abrasion resistant
it's hard as dick compared to normal A36, gotta drill it real slow RPM with heavy feed or it work hardens

I like the eighth inch plate with box tube reinforcement idea, maybe even 16ga because the skin is going to bend no matter what, you need vertical structure to span any distance. Like bending flat bar the hard way.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486
;43904884]abrasion resistant
it's hard as dick compared to normal A36, gotta drill it real slow RPM with heavy feed or it work hardens

I like the eighth inch plate with box tube reinforcement idea, maybe even 16ga because the skin is going to bend no matter what, you need vertical structure to span any distance. Like bending flat bar the hard way.
Oh ok I didn't know that was a thing. Probably way out of my price range lol. But yeah the .120 plate is doable. I'll figure something out.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #241 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy fitzgerald View Post
Oh ok I didn't know that was a thing. Probably way out of my price range lol. But yeah the .120 plate is doable. I'll figure something out.
ya AR plate is not cheap but its the tits for sure. if you are thinking of going with thin stuff like .120 then i would build the subframe that it bolts to uber overkill with lots of bracing so it takes the weight of the truck. then have the .120 plate just bolt on so can replace it when it looks like a crumpled up beer can

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
Quote:
ya AR plate is not cheap but its the tits for sure. if you are thinking of going with thin stuff like .120 then i would build the subframe that it bolts to uber overkill with lots of bracing so it takes the weight of the truck. then have the .120 plate just bolt on so can replace it when it looks like a crumpled up beer can
Thank you, I will. I was thinking of welding it on so bolt heads or screws won't get sheered off.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Well I haven't had any time to work on her any more, but I did pay the registration. So as soon as the tags come in, I'll start driving her around locally to figure out any bugs.
That's a little progress I guess.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Drove her around the property and played some Saturday night. She did good. But the boggers do suck in the rocks. I'm lookin forward to gettin some new rims so I can put the new tires on.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 284906
Quote:
Drove her around the property and played some Saturday night. She did good. But the boggers do suck in the rocks. I'm lookin forward to gettin some new rims so I can put the new tires on.
What didja pick for rock crawling tires, Rowdy? You're getting it all sorted out which is cool.
wigglewagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 120004
35x12.50 r17 Interco mud terrains. I didn't specifically go out and buy them. I bought a 54 willys pick-up a year and a half ago and they were on it. I'm gonna use them for street driving mostly and run my old bfg km2's for wheeling.

I drove her to the store and back on Saturday. The boggers have flat spots and she floats around some. I'm hoping it'll drive better with new tires. The black box works pretty darn good though.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Well I broke both axle U-joints a couple weeks ago. My current plan is to Lincoln lock both D60's then swap them in. they have 4.10's which sucks but the doubler should remedy that. I'll save the 1/2 ton axles for my willys DD project when ever I finally have enough time to start that.

After all the shit I've done to try to figure out where the screaming chatter is coming from, the only thing left it can be is the rear end. I've replaced the trans, the doubler and the T-case but it still makes the sound. Pretty irritated by that since I had a shop rebuild the diff prior to the sound surfacing.

I think I can swap the axles and have the truck drivable for just the cost of U-joints, diff covers and new steering, possibly might need to have a new rear drive shaft built or at least the rear DS yolk swapped. I may just get a new DS built and use the current one on the willys.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Decided to take the Ranger hunting the other day. She treated me really good!
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 120004
Bought Ruff Stuff Y-link steering and +2 perches this week. It's sitting at the house, waiting for some love. And to top it off, I may be getting a 198? 1 ton for parts if it has a KP D60 and go with that 60 instead of the BJ 60. If that's the case, I'll be selling the 60's I've got and going with the matching set for convenience.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 120004
D60 Tech
https://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in