1979 2wd f150 supercab utility body... Build? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
I dunno. I wish I knew if the motor was good before I threw money at it.
Been there, done that. Compression check as soon as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischabre View Post
Looks like a 302 to me..I dont see the Windsor web in the front of the block

IRON FIST posted the photos of what Im talking about...
Oh it's definitely a 302, firing order establishes that without even seeing the front of the block.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 301465
Oh it's definitely a 302, firing order establishes that without even seeing the front of the block.[/QUOTE]

I didnt notice that he knew the firing order...haha
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 156216
If it is a sticky valve, compression test won't help yet. I don't even have a compression tester. One of the few tools I don't have. I'm in a mad rush trying to finish a trailer I'm building for my step dad's bulldozer this week so it may have to wait to mess with it more. Which, of course, kills me.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I picked up a 4wd np435 with the transfer case adapter today, and like I said I have a married 205 in the shed.

I found a Ranger supercab that is in better shape than this one but does need floor boards, it's kind of expensive though. Same guy has a 78 f250 rolling chassis with an HD d44... Also found a rolling 4wd half ton chassis for cheap. In the perfect world I'd buy all of them, use the axles off the 3/4 and the steering off the half ton, keep the half ton housing around in case I wanna do coils, and junk the rest. Unfortunately I'm pretty broke. I need a sponsor.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 666322
get the roller f250 and just tear the heads off to check your valves. If your state doesnt smog check then just tear out that garbage. Smog is the worst part about being a car guy in CA
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Yeah the egr and carbon canister are not functioning in their current state. Not opposed to keeping a carbon canister but the one one the truck is split in half so that's not doing any good. Egr is stupid. This thing still has the catalytic convertor under it too!

I haven't had a chance to do any more stuff to it. I picked up a can of seafoam I will try to run through it before I change the oil.
My #1 priority is getting that new cab, supercab cabs are rare and I don't want to miss it. The high pinion d44/d60 set is a nice find in 3.55's, but not super hard to find and honestly it's a fair deal for the whole frame but considering I only need the rears, it's not like a barn burner where I'm gonna max out my credit card with a cash advance to get it on my trailer. It would just come home and sit for a while anyhow. I am gonna talk to the guy though, see if we can work out some payments. He isn't in a hurry to move the stuff as far as I can tell.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I like the way he did this build.
1978 Ford F100 cummins conversion - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I found a half ton rolling frame for a decent price, I think I might pick it up for the housing and coils and buckets and radius arm mourns and the steering... Could stay 5 lug for now and then upgrade to 8 lug outers and a dana 60 or sterling rear later on. Still in negotiations to buy the 3/4 frame just won't have cash for a few weeks and don't have anywhere to keep it.

Interested in cutting out the frame insert like that guy did in the build I linked above. Never seen that done before. Anyone have experience?

Last edited by hasteranger; 04-16-2016 at 09:16 AM.
hasteranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I picked up this half ton 4wd frame of unknown vintage today. Nice set of newer wheels and some sort of lift springs up front. Never seen shock mounts like that though. Has multiple yellow steering stabilizers though
, so that should up the hp on the still missing, hissing 302.

Bought a harbor freight compression tester for that, though if it's a valve it may not help much.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Need more pics!

Shock and radius arm mounts suggest '73-'76, steering and axle look like '78-'79.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Yeah I noticed the newer steering. The rear axle is 31 spline as well, which would indicate newer... I've only had 78/79 half tons and I've never seen that style shock mount.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Yeah I noticed the newer steering. The rear axle is 31 spline as well, which would indicate newer... I've only had 78/79 half tons and I've never seen that style shock mount.
I've seen only 31 spline 9"ers in '73-'79 full size 4x4s. The radius arm mounts on the frame are the pre-'78 type as well.

Last edited by 4XFORD; 04-19-2016 at 06:44 PM.
4XFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Nothing is hard and fast, but my understanding is that the pre 77 trucks tended to have 28 splines. Maybe I'm wrong on that. The 78/79 4wds all had 31 splines.

Here is the cl ad, while its still up. It has a few pics.https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/5532136489.html

I have a feeling it's an older frame, it's got a small small details my 78 4wd half ton doesn't have, like riveted brackets with nuts inside the frame for the rear bumper bolts, etc.

Anyone know where the vins are stamped?

Anyone have any details on the possibility of cutting lose the inner boxed section off this frame and sliding in my 2wd? Seems like it would solve a lot of problems, including radius arm mounts and cross member clearance, and would also give me the steering box mount in the right place. Not sure on height of the frame at that point on the two frames though. I'm keeping this one on my trailer in storage for the moment so I can't easily compare back and forth.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 301465
dentside vin would bein the firewall area on the Passenger side rail if I remember correctly
chrischabre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Nothing is hard and fast, but my understanding is that the pre 77 trucks tended to have 28 splines. Maybe I'm wrong on that. The 78/79 4wds all had 31 splines.

Anyone know where the vins are stamped?
Yeah, that's why I said "seen", we know Ford could have done anything but I've looked at and owned every year 1/2 ton 4x from '73 through '79 and they all had 31s. Maybe some of the 2wd had 28s?? Some '74s and possibly a few '75s had N 3rd members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischabre View Post
dentside vin would bein the firewall area on the Passenger side rail if I remember correctly
That's correct, near the starter area.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I've taken apart two 2wd's, a 78 f150 and a 73 F100. Both were 28 spline. I will check the vin tomorrow and take some other pictures if I get out there.

Forgot to mention I put a deposit down on the supercab cab, it's a Ranger xlt with a great interior, factory ac, and is clean except rusted out front floorboards. I can deal with that. I also worked out a deal on the 78 rolling frame even though I probably won't use a ton of parts. It will get me wheels, tires, 8 lug outers, a dana 60, and f250 rear leafs, if nothing else. And I can put my 5 lug outers on the leaf spring d44 front and possibly resell it with the 9" rear, we will see. Cab swap will be a big project, and maybe swap in the np435 at the same time, then we will see about making it a coil springs half ton 4wd,before I worry about making it 8 lug.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Frame vin off parts frame.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 156216
A scholarly gentlemen on fte informed me that is a 75 F100 frame that originally housed a 360. Guy I got it from ran a 460 in it.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Some pics. Got tags and insurance on the truck today.

Front axle looks like 78/79.

Radius arm mounts and hack job engine stands.

More neon shock boots, apparently he had redone all four corners with new brakes and replaced the 3rd before parting it out.

Odd spot on passenger frame rail at a welded joint. Is this a crack, a cut, or factory?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 481234
Are the wedges cast tubes that DOM presses into? Or 2-piece halves welded to the DOM?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Yup, definitely a '78-'79 cast knuckle axle.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:18 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 32583
Looks like someone 'clearanced' the frame and boxed it back in...probably for exhaust clearance.
ford005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 156216
That would explain the booger welds and the frame cut.
Though half of the factory welds look about the same on the average 70's frame so it's hard to tell.

Only bummer is if I try to cut out the boxed section to fit in my 2wd frame I'm guessing that piece might be a little more hassle than the rest.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Today I changed the distributor cap and rotor and all 8 spark plugs. Man were they rusted, grimy pieces of crap. It made a huge difference. Here is a video I made just running it around the neighborhood. I filled the radiator with water and the leak I saw before has slowed to a tiny trickle, maybe just a dry gasket that has swelled back up a bit.
I don't know the rear gears yet but this 3 speed + od has the tallest first gear of anything I've ever driven. It would be easy to stall if it wasn't still missing one cylinder it a very noisy way.
Take a watch/listen. Does that sound like a sticky valve to you?
https://youtu.be/wmFmxOuKlkM
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I just checked the axle code for this truck. 2.75 gears! With the 3.25 to 1 first gear in the t170 transmission, no wonder this thing feels like first is tall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in