1979 2wd f150 supercab utility body... Build? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156216
1979 2wd f150 supercab utility body... Build?

I needed a project to distract me from my lack of progress on my other projects so I picked this up today. No clear goal in sight. Just thought it was awesome and cheap.

It's got a 3 speed manual plus overdrive, a "351 c crate motor" according to po has around 12k on motor, he bought as a pickup with a rusted bed and bought this utility bed off a military surplus dodge. It's in surprisingly good shape, only a few rust holes inside cabinets and a scratch/dent on pass front door.
Clutch only grabs at very top of pedal range, engine makes no power and has a miss. He said it ran great when he parked it a couple years ago and it's just sat. I did notice the vacuum hose is rotted/broken off between the intake and the brake bolster. Vacuum leak that big will account for power. Hopefully. Fuel in it smelled and looked varnishy so maybe just changing plugs and oil and fresh gas will get it going again. Brakes will need a new boosters most likely but they do grab when you floor them.
Interior is a custom cab with rear jump seats and pop out windows. Rust on rockers is somewhat minor, cab corners are pretty well gone. For now probably just bondo over and respray till I see how the rest of the truck turns out. Worst case scenario is the back half makes an awesome trailer and the cab makes a great interior parts donor for my other super cab, on a regular cab frame.

Best case scenario is I load my generator and gasoline air compressor and tools in this thing, free up shed space, drive it around, use it to keep miles off my excursion and keep it from getting beat up at the junkyard and the dump, and maybe eventually put some one ton axles under it and or a Cummins? I mean I guess that's the dream for every truck. Lol. But for now just trying to figure it out. He didn't have the title so I'm waiting on that before I start going crazy. It needs new tires in a bad way as well.... Of course I gave away all my 5 lug stuff when I went one ton under my other truck. Just thought id share it. I thought it was a pretty cool truck.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I found this.

It's an np435 for a married t case. I have a spare married np205 in the shed. Will this plus whatever bell housing is already on the 351, all bolt up and play nice?

I'd eventually like to add a front axle to this truck.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 45
Nice score.

14bolt or Sterling swap for rear upgrade soon.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I won't buy a rear axle until I find a front axle, since I may end up putting super duty axles on it and I want the bolt pattern to match. My guess is I'll end up with a d44 front and leave it 5 lug until I find 8 lug outers and probably put an 8 lug rear under it then.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
I got a set of 8 lug outters still on an f250 d44. What you got to trade?

I need a 4 speed to smallblock aluminum hydro bellhousing with the starter plate/inspection cover. Really just need the cover.
'r than gcc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by EricsGreen98Tj; 04-08-2016 at 10:52 AM.
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Turns out this truck came with a 302 and appears to still have one. Seller said the po put in a 351c or w Iirc (just remember it wasn't an m) but I'm not sure how I'd tell the difference.

I don't have much to trade, no bellhousing. Limited shop space so I don't tend to keep much I don't plan on using, which usually haunts me...
Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
Turns out this truck came with a 302 and appears to still have one. Seller said the po put in a 351c or w Iirc (just remember it wasn't an m) but I'm not sure how I'd tell the difference.
Post up some pics and we'll id it for you.

I thought it was odd when you said:

Quote:
It's got a 3 speed manual plus overdrive,
AFAIK Ford never put the 3 speed od behind anything but a small block bell housing in that era.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 481234
Yes, the trans you posted will go behind the Cleve. Have you confirmed it's a Cleveland?

Edit: easiest way to id the engine is Cleveland will not have a raised bar casted lengthwise next to the water outlet. You know the obvious difference is bell pattern size. Measure the top bolts on your BB, sbf pattern is something like 5" or 5.5" wide. (The measurements are in my build thread) it doesn't matter anyways. BBF or SBF and nothing in between.

Totally jelly that you have a spare 435 and 205 laying around

Last edited by Juicysluice; 04-08-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Juicysluice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I don't have the 435 yet. It's a couple hours away. Need to go get it but money and time. It's pretty cheap... But still.

I'll take a pic when I get home. I haven't had much time to do anything with it but I stopped at Napa and got a bolster check valve fitting and a new boosters hose along with an oil change for it, and when I got home I was reading the emissions stickers and looking over the engine more carefully. I've owned 351m and 460's and I know enough to easily be able to tell this is a much smaller block and bolt pattern. But I'll post pics and Google and hopefully we can figure it out. 302 is fine with me, it's the Ford equivalent of the sbc as far as parts

Last edited by hasteranger; 04-08-2016 at 06:01 PM.
hasteranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XFORD View Post
Post up some pics and we'll id it for you.

I thought it was odd when you said:

AFAIK Ford never put the 3 speed od behind anything but a small block bell housing in that era.
Yeah, when I Googled it to try and figure out what transmission I might have, I realize from the shift pattern that it's probably that light duty 3 speed plus overdrive transmission. I guess this thing was available in some half ton trucks and some Passenger cars? Either way it will do fine in 2 wheel drive, and the np435 should be a great 4wd trans.

Last edited by hasteranger; 04-08-2016 at 06:00 PM.
hasteranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
302 is fine with me, it's the Ford equivalent of the sbc as far as parts
The best part about a 302 is it keeps the bed warm for a 351W, it'll drop right in without changing a thing if you are so inclined.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Ok, pictures.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 481234
That's a Windsor. Can't tell with the clutter blocking a good view of the intake manifold but very likely a 351w. Since they have a taller deck height, the intake will be wider than a 302. Maybe someone has a "width" for id reference sake.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I have been googling how to tell the difference and I can't tell from those pics. How are you sure? That matches up with what he told me. So that's interesting. Guess it's a good thing. Maybe it really is a low engine crate motor. For the moment it must have some crazy vacuum leaks, it missing, and you can clutch dump it at 3k and it stalls before the truck takes off in first gear. It needs cleaned up and cleaned out before I try and start it again.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Judging by the firing order it's a 302. Could always be a 351W with a 302 camshaft but that's not likely.

ETA:

351W: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

302: 1-5-2-4-6-3-7-8

Last edited by 4XFORD; 04-08-2016 at 10:31 PM.
4XFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 156216
One says 351 one says 302.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
I'd bet it's the 302 that it rolled out of the factory with, nothing I can see suggests that the motor has only been in there 12k miles.
brewchief is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 156216
I know. And I messed with it some today and realized it had nothing in the radiator. Filled it with wager and was greeted by some old coolant dribbling out below the crank pulley.

Some more engine shots.

I did get it running, it occasionally backfires out the carb, it won't stay idling, as soon as you apply any load it dies like it has a terrible vacuum leak, and it has a hissing or ticking miss. The fuel flowing through the clear fuel filter looks pretty nasty but obviously there is something more than bad fuel going on.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicysluice View Post
That's a Windsor. Can't tell with the clutter blocking a good view of the intake manifold but very likely a 351w. Since they have a taller deck height, the intake will be wider than a 302. Maybe someone has a "width" for id reference sake.
Approximately 9" and 11".

Last edited by 4XFORD; 04-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.
4XFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 213911
Be good to swap the drive train from a 2wd '96 F150 (MAF 302/4R70W/8.8) and leave it 2wd. Get a box for it and use it as parts runner/summer DD.
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 27645
Quote:
I did get it running, it occasionally backfires out the carb, it won't stay idling, as soon as you apply any load it dies like it has a terrible vacuum leak, and it has a hissing or ticking miss. The fuel flowing through the clear fuel filter looks pretty nasty but obviously there is something more than bad fuel going on.
Probably stuck valves from the nasty ass gas. I've unstuck a few by using good fuel with Sea Foam in it and pouring a pint of Sea Foam in the crankcase, takes a few minutes but eventually lets go. You can also use the vacuum line to the brake booster to suck Sea Foam in to the intake til it dies then let set a few minutes before restarting. But it's absolutely necessary to use good fuel, if you don't want to clean the tank yet try running a line from a clean gas can to the fuel pump.

Check for a stuck valve by holding a paper towel in front of the exhaust pipe tip at idle, that is if you get it to idle, if the paper flaps both ways (in and out) you have a stuck valve.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 156216
Yeah it's not getting a maf engine swap. If i want to work on something with a computer I'd just keep driving my excursion all the time.
I really want to put a 4bt in but not for what they are going for locally.

I'll have to mess with it on a warmer day when I have more time. I was thinking of trying a spark plug change and some seafoam and fresh gas anyway. I'll have to find the source of the water leak, probably weepy water pump, and go from there.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 213911

ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 301465
Looks like a 302 to me..I dont see the Windsor web in the front of the block

IRON FIST posted the photos of what Im talking about...

Last edited by chrischabre; 04-09-2016 at 08:09 PM.
chrischabre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 156216
This thing has a weird combination of bypassed emissions equipment and hackjob maintenance of emissions. The egr isn't hooked up, but the carbon cannister appears to have been wrapped in duct tape, even though the vacuum lines weren't routed correctly. It still has what looks like the factory cat. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

I dunno. I wish I knew if the motor was good before I threw money at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in