97 7.3 E350 Mud/Party Bus Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 82286
yea I'm dreading having to do any engine work. It looked to be a real pain before, now that the hood is shoulder height its even more of a pain.

the tank is actually in a pretty safe spot. I don't think its a stock tank because its just a square tank placed right behind the rear axle. nothing should ever hit it where its at. I'll probably take it out a few times and keep an eye on any marks that show if it is.
chaos_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_22r View Post
the tank is actually in a pretty safe spot. I don't think its a stock tank because its just a square tank placed right behind the rear axle.
The cutaway chassis use an aft tank. There's a 35gal and 55gal. The midship tank found on std body vans might not fit with the tcase in there.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 82286
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
The cutaway chassis use an aft tank. There's a 35gal and 55gal. The midship tank found on std body vans might not fit with the tcase in there.
I'd say I got the 55 gallon one because after $60 something I gave up fueling and only had about 3/4 a tank.

you're right about the midship ones not working. ujointoffroad sells a shortening kit where you have to cut your tank and weld it back together. or spend 1400 for their custom tank.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 82286
finally got around to fabbing up a track bar for the bus. couldn't use a SD bracket because of frame differences so went with a OBS bracket. since its just a flat plate with 3 bolts it was easier to work. Placed a small piece of c-channel on the cross member to push the bracket out and give it a flat place for mounting. Then shortened the track bar to the size needed. stock axle mount was used but was heated and pulled in a little. after a throttle happy trip down the backroads it doesn't seem to have any bump steer. no front shocks or sway bar yet but handles like a dream and doesn't really have any body roll that you would think it would.

ignore the blue blue bolt. I had got 1/2"x2" bolts for the track bar but since we used the c-channel and wanted the bolts to go all the way through to the cross-member we used the m12 x 1.75 x 80mm bolts i had got for the front shocks instead. I'll replace it later.

Last edited by chaos_22r; 03-06-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 82286
got my front shock mounts and sway bar mounts welded on

had to drop the crossbowmen down. 2wd one sits up too high.

cross member back in and drag link extended so it will turn all the way to the right now.

something to get me unstuck since no one will be able to pull me out.

ran into an issue with the transfer case. was going to use either the bw4407 or the nv271 that i already had but ford had the great idea to keep using the gear driven vss on the output of the vans 2wd e4od many years after they stopped doing it in trucks. Had to get another bw1356 transfer case that has the spot for the sensor so that i can plug it in there. working 6 10s has slowed the progress but it should be driveable again when I get the drive shafts made.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 82286
got my drive shafts made

everything hooked up and looking good

shifter installed

and got my winch bumper done.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 757810
Your username definitely lives up to this build. Kudos for dreaming this thing up
Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 82286
took the bus out for its maiden voyage offroading over the weekend at powerline park. blew my expectation out of the water in every way. was a huge hit there and took everything I could throw at it. It had been raining a lot and again on saterday morning so everything was a swampy mess. people where sliding into ditches or just completely over the hill everywhere. even though I kept seeing people say the humvee tires where bad in mud they pulled me and anyone I was dragging up some nasty stuff just fine. 4x4 worked great and the winch pulled people up vertical banks back on the road like it was nothing. never even got hot. had one guy trying to get pulled up by two jeeps with 9k winches but it took the 13.5 to save the day. did I mention that it drove the 300 miles round trip towing a tracker lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 82286
we did get one flat somehow but didn't even know it was flat till someone said something. just drove it back to camp and swapped it out with my spare i had.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 125523
oh fuck yeah bud

Last edited by 88mitsu; 05-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.
88mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 82286
so i did leave out the part that during the drive back we had some transmission issues. was shifting odd until you got up over 40 then it ran fine. figured probably got water in something since half the time i was driving in a lake.

code reader came back with some interesting things.

we had to stop and put fluid in it. not sure where it all went since we didn't see any leaks but it was below the dip stick. apparently got vary hot at one point also. probably the full size chevy i dragged out of the woods.

this was actually the reason for the odd shifting though

brand new gear from summit. i got it to try and put the speedometer closer to the correct speed and help the shifting but apparently it was junk.

after checking the fluid again and putting the old gear back on all the problems went away and no codes are popping up yet. guess im going to have to use a digital speedometer calibrator
Old 06-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
this is so redneck but i love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 82286
well the old bus is still going.

had it at a local mud bog. didn't do so good. transfer case kept wanting to pop out of gear and had to run it in 4lo. something hit the fan and punched a couple different holes in the radiator on the first run so had to keep dumping water into it to do my runs.

put a new radiator in and since I'm not a fan of trans coolers that run in the radiator I bypassed it and put some fans on a external cooler for some extra precautions.

added some gauges with a warning sound and flash for those times I'm not paying attention.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 82286
took it to the gncc race at snowshoe this year. Didn't do too bad for a 4 hour drive considering what it is.

people always trying to snag a pic lol

got some road rash labor day weekend

a good pic from labor day from aultimate outdoors

has some horrible approach angle lol

Got some new recentered wheels from trailworthfab and some 38.5 boggers for when I hit the deep mud.

hopping to get started on the roof stage soon. probably going to save up for some 4.55 gears and rear locker after that.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
dude this thing is fuken awesome
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 82286
new 38.5x15 boggers and twf beadlocks mounted up. Going to have to put the lift shackes on and do some trimming.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I got my TWF wheels on this past December myself. They definitely stick out noticeably more but I'm fine with the added track width. They're a bitch to paint... definitely should have ponied up for the powder coat.

How much can you realistically cut off the fenders/sheet metal behind the front tire? Front bumper is a no brainer, but it's been a while since I was under an Econoline and it wasn't a 4x4....

Loving this thing though. It's easily the most hillbilly build here but it brings a smile to my face every time I read this thread. Dig the chalk board idea on the side panels. Perfect for the type of event this thing spends it's time at.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 82286
I actually still have the 3" spacers on and If I took them off it probably would fix some of the clearance issues but considering my center of gravity I like the much wider stance of them on. Plus I think it just looks meaner lol. I had mine powdered locally and I'm already dealing with it chipping off around the bolts and a few places where I dropped tools on it. Really wish I had just paid TWF to do it and probably got a much better job and only spent 50 more bucks.

There probably isn't a lot more I can "easily" cut off that hasn't already rusted off. I'm hopping the lift shackles I already had laying around for this will take care of most of it. If not I got metal and a welder to cut off as much as needed.

Its the most hillbilly thing anywhere it goes but you can't hate something you can drive down the road and see everyone smiling and pointing lol.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 598602
That is a damn cool build dude! Can't wait to get over to check out some of the mud bogs down south... one day haha
OffroadAddictiontv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 716946
This would make a rad camping rig for hunting season
1975f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 82286
Took the short bus to a local mud bog to break in the boggers for the first time.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 82286

video of the best pass through https://youtu.be/RRdCg-X-_Yk

Last edited by chaos_22r; 05-07-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 82286
guess ill update with some more pictures.

went to yankee lake in ohio for memorial day weekend and tried it out since both king knob and powerline park are closed this year. Snapped the axle shaft on the d50. never would of guessed 38.5 boggers would be too much for it. definitely didn't see that on every forum ever. developed a leak around where the transmission and TC join together. Probably shouldn't have kept taking it off the jumps. 7.3 diesels just don't sail through the air all that well let alone school buses.

fourwheeler magazine was up there and they posted some pictures of the bus on there site.

yes the manifolds are glowing. the egt gauge stopped working and i was determined to make it through that hole. at the time it seemed like a good idea.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 82286
our 3 hr drive home turned into 13 hours. first i sheered off every stud but 1 and lost a wheel. after fixing it on the side of the highway we made it 20 min down the road and got another flat. since we didn't have another wheel we pulled the bus off the trailer and put my buddies tracker on it and strapped the axle up. he put his suv his wife was driving on his smaller trailer and my buddies wife had to drive the bus the rest of the way home. had to stop every 15 min though because i didn't spray out the radiator and it kept overheating. was not a fun a trip back. to top everything else off. i usually keep the bus at my buddies place but since we where overheating and i only had 3 tires we left my trailer at my place that was closer and put the bus back on it. I replaced the tire on Monday and was going to take it back to my buddies Sunday on my day off. got home Tuesday and the code enforcement left me a nice little letter basically saying anything over 7 feet tall or 16 feet long can't be parked on the road and that if it was still there tomorrow i would get a ticket. so I left early for work the next day since my buddies place is on the way and planed to just drop it off and head to work. ended up getting flat number 3... this story is already long so to sum it up. its raining, i left my keys for the bus at home so we can't back it off. tried pulling it off only to almost slide it off the side. had to weight for buddies wife to bring spare key so ended up missing work. that trailer is now gone and I got a nice gooseneck that's long enough and actually properly rated for the weight.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 82286
Really got to get that snorkel set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in