Plan B, F250 build - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #526 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
more

some other pics from the day

was st patties day so had to rock the green

buddys crew cab right hand drive diesel toy

and the welfare being a big fat land anchor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #527 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
had a real close call on the way home after loading up after wheeling. was on the fsr road heading back to the hyw, but the road was not great as had warmed up and snow was now slush and ice. there is one steep hill with a hair pin turn at the bottom. once i crested the top of the hill i started to slow down and trailer got out of control and tired to pass the truck. jack knifed past 90 and pushed the truck down the hill well over 1/3rd of the hill sideways. was looking back at the truck on the trailer waiting for it to brake the hitch or catch the snow bank and brake lose and just yard sale all over the place. the hill had a hard snow bank on the drivers side that the front bumper was pushed into. pass side that the trailer was on was a big drop off, the hair pin at the bottom had a big drop off as well. rode it out and came to a stop and was able to back up and work the truck straight enough to get out of it and carry on back to the hyw and home. got real lucky as the damage to truck and trailer is not as bad as i thought it was going to be and just happy it wasnt worse

truck bumper is dented and pushed over and up a bit, box side under the tail light took most of the truck damage. bent the shit out of my good hitch and wrote off the dry box on the trailer. need to look at the trailer better with a square and tape measure to make sure no more damage to it but to the eye it looks ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowracer; 04-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #528 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Coming together, its looking good!

Speaking of FSU, good luck with those stock knuckles with full hydro and them big old tires
thanks man and ya i know the stock ford knuckles are on very borrowed time. bank account is not a fan of buying Reids so will plate them and hope for the best. right now i need to figure out why my fan died and look at getting a bigger rad. when the fan was working the fan would keep the truck cool but when on it breaking trail i was good for about 10 mins of beating on it before getting hot. rad is just to small for the motor, as stop and give it few mins and the fan would cool it right back down.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #529 (permalink)

Member # 95448
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
thanks man and ya i know the stock ford knuckles are on very borrowed time. bank account is not a fan of buying Reids so will plate them and hope for the best. right now i need to figure out why my fan died and look at getting a bigger rad. when the fan was working the fan would keep the truck cool but when on it breaking trail i was good for about 10 mins of beating on it before getting hot. rad is just to small for the motor, as stop and give it few mins and the fan would cool it right back down.
See just when I get semi-comfortable with switching to an e-fan, I log on and see this! I gotta figure out some kind of backup plan. Maybe even just carrying a spare fan on my trip. Two adults in a standard cab Ranger for a week I'm trying to keep excess spares and junk to a minimum.
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #530 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
See just when I get semi-comfortable with switching to an e-fan, I log on and see this! I gotta figure out some kind of backup plan. Maybe even just carrying a spare fan on my trip. Two adults in a standard cab Ranger for a week I'm trying to keep excess spares and junk to a minimum.
i have yet to test the fan but i might still be ok, the wiring connector is melted so might be an easy fix. as right now it just pops the breaker in line so not turning on. fan was doing a great job as once truck got hot it only took a minute or two of idle and was cooled right back down. rad is just to small and knew that when putting in the truck but was hoping for the best.

so with needing a bigger rad id like some input on whats a better option to go with. i dont want to do rear mount so im limited to say close to same size im runing now. current rad is an aluminum race rad that is 28x19x3 and 2 core. in the same size i can get a dual pass or triple pass, can also get a 3 core rad that is same size just thicker and i am able to run a thicker rad. other option is buy a second rad same as i have now and get buddy to weld them together with new tanks.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #531 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Good wheeling pics, looks like you guys had some fun!

Bummer on the trailer/truck situation but guess it could've been worse. I towed in the snow for the first time recently (I know, lame Californian, spoiled weather, blah, blah, blah ) and it definitely demands a different level of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
Here's another way to think about it. Find a front wheel drive car on the road without an e-fan. Even most new RWD, AWD, 4x4 vehicles have e-fans. Literally millions of OEM's running e-fans. When was the last time you heard of a stock vehicle having an issue with an e-fan?

If I think about every issue I've had with an e-fan (and I've had issues) it was always due to my hack wiring or shitty parts. You hear about issues with e-fans because people use junkyard parts and hack the wiring together at midnight to get on the trail and never fix it. I've been one of those people, and I've had issues.

Almost 2 years ago I bought a new e-fan. I bought a good weather proof relay block, soldered all the wires and connectors and used heat shrink and plastic loom around everything. It probably took an extra hour to do it right and it's been 100% trouble free since install.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #532 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
did a once over of the truck on the weekend and nothing wrong after the wheeling trip other then the fan issue. have a new bigger better rad on order as well as a new fan set up, so hope that will take care of the cooling issues.

pulled the front 60 apart as have never rebuilt this diff and this is the 3rd truck ive had it in now. king pins had play in them and the bearings on the one side probably only had one more run left in them. also pulled the carrier and for the most part i looked good in there even if oil was a little shiny. so plan is to add my full spool and regear with oem ford 10" 4.88 gears. new spicer ujoints, new wheel bearings, new king pins, and drill my hubs out for 9/16 wheel studs as have little 1/2 studs right now. will also plate the knuckles and do a better job of tieing the high steer in as never liked my tube just welded to the side of the arm. will also do a new front drive shaft as the one in there i built in a rush and is not close to true and shakes the truck like is on with drawls

Last edited by snowracer; 03-26-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #533 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Solid knuckles are around $400.....

But the import probably fucks you.....
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #534 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Solid knuckles are around $400.....

But the import probably fucks you.....
yep for the same price as it is to get a pair of Solid's to me i can buy Reids for the same price

Old 03-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
yep for the same price as it is to get a pair of Solid's to me i can buy Reids for the same price
If I end up moving to North ID this summer, I think I'm going to start a 4wd parts smuggling business
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #536 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
If I end up moving to North ID this summer, I think I'm going to start a 4wd parts smuggling business
please do, more then willing meet at the boarder with beer, maple syrup and poutine to trade for truck parts

edit: just to give you an idea of how bad it is, i just ordered a dana 60 crush sleeve eliminator for $30 and paid $28 in shipping

Last edited by snowracer; 03-26-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #537 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
been slowing work on the front end stuff. drilled out the hubs and pressed in some 9/16 wheel studs. everything is cleaned and ready to go back together, just need to set up the gears this weekend.

plated the stock ford knuckles to hopefully hold me over till i can buy aftermarket ones

built some quick tools for putting the lower king pins back together

knuckles back on, added some 1 inch plate to the side of my steer arms to make them Artec knock offs. little bit better then some tube welded to the side like i had before

Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #538 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
pretty much all done with the front diff rebuild, new ford 10" ring gear 4.88 with full spool. just have to put the cover on and dump some oil in it. also go the rear gears done this weekend.

this will probably be the death of my D60 pinon 1480 ujoint next to the old 1350

Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #539 (permalink)

Member # 25632
1480!? Planning on using old 60 axle shafts to make a driveshaft?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #540 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
1480!? Planning on using old 60 axle shafts to make a driveshaft?
have 3 rear drive shafts out of the newer superduty trucks from work and they are all 1480. so figured it was cheaper to buy a 1480 yoke and make a drive shaft from the free ones i have then to buy all the stuff to make a 1410 shaft as have no parts to build from.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #541 (permalink)

Member # 708218
1480..holy fawk
Old 04-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #542 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
have 3 rear drive shafts out of the newer superduty trucks from work and they are all 1480. so figured it was cheaper to buy a 1480 yoke and make a drive shaft from the free ones i have then to buy all the stuff to make a 1410 shaft as have no parts to build from.
Dang, I didn't realize they had gone that big. I thought it was still 1410.

Is it going to be somewhat of a challenge to fit that large of a shaft? I guess having the 271 helps

All these beefy super duty parts are making it easy to build a bullet proof drive train.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #543 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Dang, I didn't realize they had gone that big. I thought it was still 1410.

Is it going to be somewhat of a challenge to fit that large of a shaft? I guess having the 271 helps

All these beefy super duty parts are making it easy to build a bullet proof drive train.
in the 17-current F250-550s its a mix of 1410 and 1480 depending on options ect. and the front shafts are now 1410 at the diff and a werid cv at the case. the ones i brought home from work are all out of 6.7 tucks and are 2 piece shafts with 1480s. all 3 of them where replaced due to vibrations. they are a 3.5 inch tube and that will be a bit of an issue to fit but old front drive shaft was 3 inch. so think i can just turn the weld yoke down and make it fit a 3 inch tube and ill be fine. plan for the front is 1480 at the pinon but still 1410 at the tcase. rear will be 1480 both ends and flange yokes.

Last edited by snowracer; 04-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #544 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
finished up the front diff, added a TMR diff cover and was very tight getting the ram back in as might be able to fit a piece of paper between the ram mount and the diff cover now double shear mounts for the steering arms, bolts to the steering arm. bad pictures but you get the idea

started to get ready for the new rad

added a shut off valve to the fuel cell

added a led buggy whip so i might one day be as cool as they JK folks

Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #545 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
started to get ready for the new rad
gonna make room for a clutch fan?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #546 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
gonna make room for a clutch fan?
nope

getting 2 of these

Last edited by snowracer; 04-16-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in