LORE Bronco restore - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogrinder View Post
so- more talk. Fuel injection.

Thottle body injection on the dual plane intake?
MPFI on an aftermarket intake manifold?

OR

LSx swap?

OR

something Ford like a coyote engine?

We're just examining our options here. I live at 40 feet in Houston.
Pops lives at 1500, and a quick jaunt to Tahoe would be at 5-6K feet.
A run to Sacramento and he's back at my level.

Coyote would be RAAAAAAAD.
Need to find a trans and related crap to make the Tcase still work.

Now we're looking at Resto-mod style.
Lemme know your thoughts
I like the idea of modern(ish) EFI on an old school SBF. Put a 302 or 351 in it with mustang MAF or aftermarket system of your choice. Thats retro mod enough in my opinion.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #52 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
if we go this route, I don't think the NV3550 will survive well.

If we keep the stock 302- Fitech seems to be the no brainer.

'Yote is just too damn expensive. 10K+

LS1=NV4500=Dana 20 seems like the way to keep it bulletproof- but the '4500 shifts more like a truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gun facts that will blow your mind:

Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 213911
Quote:

LS1=NV4500=Dana 20 seems like the way to keep it bulletproof- but the '4500 shifts more like a truck.

How would that be anymore reliable than 351w/ZF5/Dana 20? Fitech or mustang MAF and you're good.

Look into buying a wrecked F150 for the drive train. Guy on FTE does it with ecoboost trucks. Gets the whole truck for around $3500-4000.
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 120478
The best way to ruin this cool old Ford, with heritage and history, would be an LS. Honestly I don't even love the Coyote motor - too modern, it just doesn't seem to fit the vibe of the truck.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #55 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Ok narrowing down some stuff- help me out here

Fuel injection- FITECH EFI system with their surge tank set up

headers- Headman from bronco graveyard

Steering- bronco graveyard complete power steering conversion 3.1 turn box

Brakes- Wildhorses hydroboost conversion w/ stainless lines

Rear brakes- wildhorses rear disc brake conversion w/ axles.

Front brakes- will rebuild (disc) when I find a Dana44 front.

Body mounts- wildhorses 1" poly body lift

front springs- wildhorses front 2.5" springs

Rear springs- Deavers? Unsure

Shocks- Will measure when everything is done/installed. Need some semi- soft valved shocks to compensate as dual shocks.

Seats- Looks like Corbeau has a full seat set w/ brackets- but a set of harnesses (unless I get an uncomfortable Y shoulder strap set) doesn't have dual shoulder harness holes in the seat back.
Suggestions?

Harnesses- See above issue- would prefer 4/5 points, so the option to just run a lap belt is available

Door panels- Plain wildhorse flat panels

Stereo Retrosound factory replacement set up w/ speaker.

I need to find the material to put on the back of the dash for the speaker grill still

Going to bedline the tub fully.

Cage- I found this old skool style cage

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...ord-bronco-new

I like it, because it is 2"- I don't have the material or die to run this in my bender.

Transmission- I need a full NV3550 conversion. Few places I can see sell it. Preferred vendors?

Need to buy a flywheel and balancer asap so I can balance the engine.

Trying to get down to business here, but need to pull the trigger appropriately. I think I'm going to put the drivetrain in and get it running, then pull it apart, send the body out for paint, and to the drivetrain while the body is off the frame. Seems the most logical w/o damaging paint trying to work around it.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #56 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
The best way to ruin this cool old Ford, with heritage and history, would be an LS.
This. Everyone has gotten so caught up with "LS swap it" they have forgotten that it isn't hard or expensive to make reliable power with a SBF.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
Random thoughts
I've heard of a few complaints of fuel pump noise with some of the FiTech type systems, a new oversize rear tank with a intank pump might be a good idea, great idea if it will need a new tank anyways.

I don't know what you are starting with for a motor but the explorer 5.0 motors with the GT-40 heads seem like a good base, roller cam and decent heads plus the shortest front accessory drive with a serpentine belt. The GT-40P heads have spark plug clearance issues depending on what headers are used.

The 76-77 front disc axles are limited on what wheels can be run on them due to the steering arms, the drum brake 44s have more room and can be converted, I don't know what wheels you want or have but keep it in mind.
brewchief is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #58 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
so, we just finished installing a fitech system on my neighbor's elcamino. If you are running the frame rail pump, it is frickin loud. it also starves everytime he'd take it around a curve when the fuel was lower than a half tank. After he talked to fitech on the phone, they recommended an intank pump setup, and recommended going with Tanks Inc. replacement tank for FI. He did and the car is night and day. If you're going to run a Fitech system on this truck, I HIGHLY recommend getting a tank and pump designed for FI, especially if you ever plan on taking this off-road.

Also, don't be disappointed when you open the retro-sound box and find cheap tawian/china made stuff. Their customer service is great though, was just a little disappointed that something so cheap feeling is so expensive. I used their factory look MP3 player with bluetooth and USB in the Elcamino along with their kick panel speakers and dash speaker. The sound is fairly decent, but I also added a pair of 6x9s in the back of the cab and that really completed the sound.

lastly, on your plan for when to pull the body, I may have misunderstood, but definitely do all your swapping and fabricating mock-up before sending the body out. Once you get everything cut up and patched, then send the body out and fully weld everything. Pretty up the frame and drivetrain, then put the pretty body on the pretty chassis. this will hopefully eliminate having to cut on or around a fresh paint job.

The never-ending project

An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #59 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewchief View Post
Random thoughts
I've heard of a few complaints of fuel pump noise with some of the FiTech type systems, a new oversize rear tank with a intank pump might be a good idea, great idea if it will need a new tank anyways.

I don't know what you are starting with for a motor but the explorer 5.0 motors with the GT-40 heads seem like a good base, roller cam and decent heads plus the shortest front accessory drive with a serpentine belt. The GT-40P heads have spark plug clearance issues depending on what headers are used.

The 76-77 front disc axles are limited on what wheels can be run on them due to the steering arms, the drum brake 44s have more room and can be converted, I don't know what wheels you want or have but keep it in mind.

I wanna run the original mag 15" wheels it has now on it.
Motor is a 302 w/351W heads on it.
Tanks are fresh and clean. May do that to save the hassle, instead of trying to feed a surge tank from two source tanks and how the return would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
so, we just finished installing a fitech system on my neighbor's elcamino. If you are running the frame rail pump, it is frickin loud. it also starves everytime he'd take it around a curve when the fuel was lower than a half tank. After he talked to fitech on the phone, they recommended an intank pump setup, and recommended going with Tanks Inc. replacement tank for FI. He did and the car is night and day. If you're going to run a Fitech system on this truck, I HIGHLY recommend getting a tank and pump designed for FI, especially if you ever plan on taking this off-road.

Also, don't be disappointed when you open the retro-sound box and find cheap tawian/china made stuff. Their customer service is great though, was just a little disappointed that something so cheap feeling is so expensive. I used their factory look MP3 player with bluetooth and USB in the Elcamino along with their kick panel speakers and dash speaker. The sound is fairly decent, but I also added a pair of 6x9s in the back of the cab and that really completed the sound.

lastly, on your plan for when to pull the body, I may have misunderstood, but definitely do all your swapping and fabricating mock-up before sending the body out. Once you get everything cut up and patched, then send the body out and fully weld everything. Pretty up the frame and drivetrain, then put the pretty body on the pretty chassis. this will hopefully eliminate having to cut on or around a fresh paint job.

Thanks for the tips there.

Trying to figure out the clutch situation on the NV3550. Would prefer to have a hydro clutch. Would prefer to have an internal slave. Cant really find anyone who's done it, except for some random external set ups.
Anyone?
Looks like a lot of stuff is going to be coming from Tom's Bronco parts instead of Jeff's bronco Graveyard.... although JBG looks to be the place for Hydo brake assist set up.
Ordering more parts.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 882
Sometimes these guys get a Coyote Motor. Engine Packages Archives - Cleveland Power & Performance

They are pretty pricey though.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #61 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 37866
When you get around to front shocks throw some of the F350 shock towers on it they're cheap and work great on early Bronco's. I'm running them on my LUBER with a 2.5" lift and 12" short body Fox reservoir shocks.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicbronconut View Post
When you get around to front shocks throw some of the F350 shock towers on it they're cheap and work great on early Bronco's. I'm running them on my LUBER with a 2.5" lift and 12" short body Fox reservoir shocks.
I'm sure he can find something cleaner than an oem shock bracket.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 31158
Tumblin automotive has the coyote swapped all figured out. They are getting their 6R80 adapters from Advance Adapters.
Joel77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #64 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicbronconut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I'm sure he can find something cleaner than an oem shock bracket.
It's already got twin shocks on it

Well, I had some time on it- This was WAY entertaining with the cage in lololol

I'll have to reassemble slowly w/ the cage out.

Pulled the column out- was gonna just put a cover on where the shifter was, but I'd still have the eyesore in the engine bay..... can you get peices to remove that as well, or am I looking at a new/used column to convert it cleanly to floor shift?
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Comp cut for sure!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #66 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Comp cut for sure!
It's got 'glass fender openings on it from the 70's, and that's whats gonna stay on it

Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #67 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Quote:
It's already got twin shocks on it

Well, I had some time on it- This was WAY entertaining with the cage in lololol

I'll have to reassemble slowly w/ the cage out.

Pulled the column out- was gonna just put a cover on where the shifter was, but I'd still have the eyesore in the engine bay..... can you get peices to remove that as well, or am I looking at a new/used column to convert it cleanly to floor shift?
You can pull those pieces out when you change out the column hub. Here is a link to the parts breakdown

If you are interested, there is a better way to do the floor shifter than the stupid ass leg knocker....

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.

Last edited by 71PA_Highboy; 08-04-2017 at 08:54 PM.
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #68 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71PA_Highboy View Post
You can pull those pieces out when you change out the column hub. Here is a link to the parts breakdown

If you are interested, there is a better way to do the floor shifter than the stupid ass leg knocker....
Thanks for that break out.

Can you explain what your talking about with the floor shifter?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #69 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
I am not knocking Duffs or anyone else's mount system, I just don't like them.

You have to cut a large hole in the floor, then put a big piece of fiberglass over it and it gets in the way of the right leg...

This puts it inline.... Downside is you have to make your own linkage.

I can get you pics before I rip mine out.... I will be going to a 4 speed soon... same shifter mount, but have to use a 4 speed shifter and the pics I have are of the 3 speed version. My measurements show the 4 speed will be shorter, but will use the same hole in the floor and the same boot.

The other option is a Jeep cover for the toploader 4 speed that has a top-mounted shifter tower (think NP435). Same toploader, just a different (internal) shifting mechanism. NVRSTUK on here had one before he went to a ZF.

With the jeep topcover you might want to use a Gear-Banger to change the shifting characteristics.

Let me know what you want to do, and I will be happy to help!

Oh yea... I have a lot more of the breakdowns if you need them let me know.

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.

Last edited by 71PA_Highboy; 08-07-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: putting tech in the Brand forums... :flipoff2:
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #70 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71PA_Highboy View Post
I am not knocking Duffs or anyone else's mount system, I just don't like them.

You have to cut a large hole in the floor, then put a big piece of fiberglass over it and it gets in the way of the right leg...

This puts it inline.... Downside is you have to make your own linkage.

I can get you pics before I rip mine out.... I will be going to a 4 speed soon... same shifter mount, but have to use a 4 speed shifter and the pics I have are of the 3 speed version. My measurements show the 4 speed will be shorter, but will use the same hole in the floor and the same boot.

The other option is a Jeep cover for the toploader 4 speed that has a top-mounted shifter tower (think NP435). Same toploader, just a different (internal) shifting mechanism. NVRSTUK on here had one before he went to a ZF.

With the jeep topcover you might want to use a Gear-Banger to change the shifting characteristics.

Let me know what you want to do, and I will be happy to help!

Oh yea... I have a lot more of the breakdowns if you need them let me know.

We're going to an NV3550 5 speed conversion, and I've purchased a stock tunnel to fix everything up in that gaping hole department

Old 08-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #71 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Document well the NV3550 conversion...

I only know one person who has done it and I haven't found a trans yet... so....

; )

Quote:
Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #72 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
Got a big fat crate yesterday for it
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #73 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
I saw you with the box... what's in the fucking box?... tell me what's in the fucking box!

Quote:

Last edited by 71PA_Highboy; 08-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #74 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Got a big fat crate yesterday for it
Damn you're a dick.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I hope that isn't a chevy engine in that box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in