High School Sweetheart - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo92 View Post
The axle came without the wedges welded on. Haven't found a reliable source to be able to judge where exactly they go, so the thought was to burn them on where the castor is correct and not have use a castor corrective bushing.
Got it. In that case it seems logical to mock up and measure caster then weld the wedges.

Not to introduce too big of a curve ball but food for thought. Wedges suck. I had mine crack and fall out on 2 different occasions. They're also a bitch to put together. I had a second set of bolts that was longer than the ones I ran when it was together just to start the process of getting them start threading and smush the bushings. Cage used to sell weld on brackets that delete the C bushings. I think Jim Cole from Cage started bloody knuckle garage, nut sif that's around still or if Duff or anyone makes something like it anymore but maybe worth considering.

Edit, bloody knuckle garage is apparently still around, here's the piece I was talking about

http://www.bloodyknucklegarage.com/W...es-F2F1201.htm

Last edited by Dan90FSB; 11-08-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
negative 6-8 degrees laid back (pinion towards the ground) at ride height is average on a stock truck. greater than -6 (pointing pinion up towards the motor) will make the vehicle more pigeon toed where it is very darty on the road. Laid back further will give you better on road manners, but will work against the suspension geometry and ball joints and drag link. That is at least what I was able to dig up and find during all my research when I was looking into for the Ranger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The never-ending project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Got it. In that case it seems logical to mock up and measure caster then weld the wedges.

Not to introduce too big of a curve ball but food for thought. Wedges suck. I had mine crack and fall out on 2 different occasions. They're also a bitch to put together. I had a second set of bolts that was longer than the ones I ran when it was together just to start the process of getting them start threading and smush the bushings. Cage used to sell weld on brackets that delete the C bushings. I think Jim Cole from Cage started bloody knuckle garage, nut sif that's around still or if Duff or anyone makes something like it anymore but maybe worth considering.

Edit, bloody knuckle garage is apparently still around, here's the piece I was talking about

Weld on axle mounts for our radius arms to none C bushing axles
Hmm, thats pretty interesting. Ill have to shoot him a message and see if the bolt holes are the same distance apart as the duff arms. If I remember correctly he was involved in making the duff arms.

13 RZR 800s
jimbo92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo92 View Post
Hmm, thats pretty interesting. Ill have to shoot him a message and see if the bolt holes are the same distance apart as the duff arms. If I remember correctly he was involved in making the duff arms.
Yeah Jim designed the arms for Duff, left and worked with Cage off road, now at bloody knuckle which I think he owns.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Finally getting around to some more progress. The Barnes setup I got runs high misalignment spacers on the drag link for pitman arm and high steer arm. Some buddies of mine are doubting it and I really donít know enough. What say the PBB?
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s
Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
With ram assist, maybe. Conventional, no way. Way to much leverage on that bolt. Any way to double shear? Do you have to have the hi-misalignment spacers?
Maybe something like this would work better:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...-safety-washer

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

Last edited by 69DieselLover; 12-31-2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Can't spell
69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Well hell. Guess Iíll call Barnes Tuesday and see if they will swap my heims out.

13 RZR 800s
Old 01-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Well, I finally got this thing at ride height and it is huge. A little taller than I had hoped. Looking like I can run a 3.5" spring to bring me down to 5.5-6" lift height. Any input on running a linear rate coil vs. progressive?

13 RZR 800s
Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Pics for reference of height:
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I was running cage offroad 5.5Ē progressive rates and they were soft. I was always slamming into my bunpstops. So I went with bc broncos linear rate and they are stiffer and the flex isnít in the front as much anymore but it doesnít hit the bump stops.

I am quite a bit heavier than you in the front winch bumper v8. Personally Iíd just put on bigger tires I think thatís what god is trying to tell you.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Trim the bottom off the coil towers and move them up on the frame.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I was running cage offroad 5.5Ē progressive rates and they were soft. I was always slamming into my bunpstops. So I went with bc broncos linear rate and they are stiffer and the flex isnít in the front as much anymore but it doesnít hit the bump stops.

I am quite a bit heavier than you in the front winch bumper v8. Personally Iíd just put on bigger tires I think thatís what god is trying to tell you.
LOL, x2.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Thanks for the input folks. I figure I won't panic too much till I get this thing at its fighting weight. Winch, bumper, sliders, and the trans, tcase, skids, and interior put back in. After that I'll re-evaluate my situation if there even is one at that point. Ordered an artec high steer arm this morning to get the drag link off the same bolt as the tie rod end, and got some of their narrow misalignment spacers to bring that bolt length down to a less sketchy level. Everything clears the diff cover and the track bar mount so I'm happy about that. All the angles seem to be pretty kosher as well. Should get the rear diff back within the week and I dropped my rear shafts off at my buddies shop so he can press some new bearings on. Hopefully get this thing fully on its own weight soon. Assuming the rear shafts are Moser due to the M E ,and A etched into them.
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s
Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I like this logic

13 RZR 800s
Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
i bought my truck the year your truck was born, so i get the history part.

I been thinking of going back to coils...

if I do

they will be dos equis linear coils.

I tried and tried various coils....even fullsize with my ttb and progressives were too short lived. on sas swaps...gm or ford builds... progressive coils have been a let down...figuratively and literally.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Haven’t posted in awhile, but have made some progress. Finally got the front totally burned it, and my remote reservoir foxes mounted (10'' travel). Got the rear perches tacked on and made the rookie move of setting the pinion angle on jack stands and not accounting for the rear of the leaf mounting point being higher than the front. Ended up running sport trac rear leafs with warrior shackles and it came out dead level with the front.

It looks like the hi9 is just going to clear the gas tank, and the driveshaft has plenty of room. Going to have to lengthen the driveshafts about 2 inches front and rear. They will bolt up but are toward the end of the splines. Going to have them go ahead and put 1350 yolks on the shafts while they are lengthening them so I don't have to run a bastard joint. Brake line kit I got from James Duff ended up being a little short for the front, but it took care of finding all the weird hardware to match everything up so I just need to get longer versions of my front lines made.

Hauling it to a buddys shop today so he can build a trans crossmember for it and burn in a piece of tube in the rear to do the shock mounts. Hope to have it drive-able in the next two weeks so it can go to the body shop.
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s

Last edited by jimbo92; 02-19-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Very close to driving it. Waiting on a few misalignment spacers for my draglink, and driveshafts. Other than that itís just adding fluids and bleeding brakes and clutch. A buddy helped me with the trans crossmember and it came out nice and clean. Also ended up switching to wild horse 3.5Ē early bronco coils and it solved a lot of front end issues . May end up putting stock shackles in the rear to bring it down as well.
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s
Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
looks way better with the new springs, also loving the fiberglass front fenders

snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
looks way better with the new springs, also loving the fiberglass front fenders :-)
Thanks man. Going to lower the back too and rework my rear shocks, but didn’t have time before it went to the body shop.

Got my driveshafts back and spent the afternoon working from one end to the other filling fluids and tightening everything. Pulled the parts car up beside it and went from one side of the engine compartment to the other returning mine back to 100 percent stock under the hood. With the stock air box/intake in place and all the correct emissions equipment in place I crossed my fingers and hit the key...and it runs great! What a freakin relief. Played around with it in the field and drove it up and down the road a few times. Rides very good in the field with some speed, and with the 4:88s has more power than I anticipated. Overall very happy. To take a non driving/running rig and build it and have it start and drive on the 1st try felt good. Need to dial in the alignment, bumpstops, find my front driveshaft bolts on the trade end and rear shock mounts but other than that everything worked well. Suspension cycled well and everything that needs to clear, clears. Of course I had to harken back to my high school days and do the ditch test..
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s

Last edited by jimbo92; 03-12-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Cheeseburgers
Old 03-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Guy from work doing the prep work on the body so Dad can paint it. Figured having dad do it will add to the nostalgia. This was his last project, his 77 FJ45 he restored.
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s

Last edited by jimbo92; 03-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 57425
Haven’t posted any progress pics anywhere...but since I have a few minutes till the ol lady wakes up on the honey moon...here’s some results. Ended up making my wedding reception deadline. Buttoned it up about 3pm the afternoon of. Still some details to work out but it drives pretty good. When I get back from the honeymoon I’ll finish wiring up heated seats, stereo, and arb compressor before I put the rest of the interior in. Anybody following from the beginning will see I found the same old school procomp fog lights it had in high school
Attached Images

13 RZR 800s
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
congrats on the wedding and getting the rig done in time

snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 838146
Love the back story on the build.
tnertb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Tuned out great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in