Best axles for SAS 97-03 F150? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 798313
Best axles for SAS 97-03 F150?

Not a Ford guy but couldn't pass up this truck for the price. Only problem is it's 2wd. What's the best option for axles and a divorced T-case?

Sorry for newb question. Not a Ford guy.
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
05+ superduty front 60. Search there’s a thread specifically about them. Divorced 205.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Are you gona beat it with big tires?
Reuse the rear axle? 5 or 6lug
Is it a v6 or v8?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sand Pounder

Member # 850944
well, even not being a Ford guy I'm sure you understand the concept of 1/2 ton vs 1ton axles.

1/2 ton: hard to beat an old dana44 an 9 inch combo

1 ton: 05+super 60 which has already been covered, and for the rear either a sterling 10.25 or a corporate 14bolt.
'85 Honda ATC350x
'75 Chevy K20 on tons
Willis_racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 798313
Yeah leaning 1-ton. Would be nice to just get the front and rear from a 1-ton truck and not have to change gears. But I'm thinking of 35's or possibly 38's so I should probably regear anyway since the 4.6 isn't really a powerhouse.

Also, when did Ford start boxing frames? Were the tenth gen 4x4s boxed? My frame is strictly c-channel, no boxed sections at all.
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 120478
This is a huge project, not sure the fact that the truck was a good deal is a good reason to do it? What's the end goal? Why not start with a 4x4, mild lift and 35's, just about any half ton can handle that.

If you want to SAS, Super Duty axles are a popular choice for this vehicle because IIRC the ABS / speed sensor stuff is plug and play. This is a big deal in a late model. You start messing with those sensors and sometimes the truck goes into limp mode and wont even drive right.

A thread worth reading:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...rduty-sas.html
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 208624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis_racing View Post
well, even not being a Ford guy I'm sure you understand the concept of 1/2 ton vs 1ton axles.

1/2 ton: hard to beat an old dana44 an 9 inch combo

1 ton: 05+super 60 which has already been covered, and for the rear either a sterling 10.25 or a corporate 14bolt.
You'd want the Sterling 10.5 in the rear to match the '05+ metric bolt pattern. The 10.25 or 14B are the wrong lug pattern, and most likely drum brake.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
If I could do it over.... I would have found a set of late model axles with the 4.30 gears and factory E locker. It would have been perfect for what I do.

I can't complain with a $200 60/10.25 combo though after I sold the truck I took them from. But coil springs would have been sweet.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 135683
I'd say if you can get a good deal on pair 05+ superduty is hard to beat but I wouldnt pass up a cheap pair of 99-04's if they were in good shape. 4.10-4.30 gears arent too hard to find if you shop around.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sand Pounder

Member # 850944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_Fummins View Post
You'd want the Sterling 10.5 in the rear to match the '05+ metric bolt pattern. The 10.25 or 14B are the wrong lug pattern, and most likely drum brake.
You can have the unit bearings drilled out to accommodate the 8x6.5 pattern if you want to. The 14 bolt is (in my opinion) superior in strength to the sterling axles and easier to work on, so it's not unthinkable to mix and match. Just have to put in a little extra effort is all.
'85 Honda ATC350x
'75 Chevy K20 on tons
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 208624
Quote:
You can have the unit bearings drilled out to accommodate the 8x6.5 pattern if you want to. The 14 bolt is (in my opinion) superior in strength to the sterling axles and easier to work on, so it's not unthinkable to mix and match. Just have to put in a little extra effort is all.
Well, why redrill when you don't have to.....especially when the 10.5 nets you disc brakes, better ground clearance than 14B, possibility of OEM e-locker, the fact that it's already paired with the '05+ front axle, better pinion clearance than 14B, factory 1410 yoke or flange, dirt cheap availability, and a growing aftermarket. The strength thing is kind of marginal in my opinion, and you shouldn't ever have to "work" on it after the gear ratio of choice is installed, so that bit is kind of moot as well. But to each their own. Definitely not unthinkable to mix and match, but I believe that the Sterling doesn't quite get the credit it deserves.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
14 bolt is a plow. Sterling has better ground clearance than a 14 bolt and a Dana 60. I've never witnessed anybody break a 10.25 or 10.5 for what it's worth. They'll handle a lot of abuse.

In order of ease to set up, easiest 14 bolt>Sterling>60, so I don't really see it as much of an issue at all.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sand Pounder

Member # 850944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_Fummins View Post
Well, why redrill when you don't have to.....especially when the 10.5 nets you disc brakes, better ground clearance than 14B, possibility of OEM e-locker, the fact that it's already paired with the '05+ front axle, better pinion clearance than 14B, factory 1410 yoke or flange, dirt cheap availability, and a growing aftermarket. The strength thing is kind of marginal in my opinion, and you shouldn't ever have to "work" on it after the gear ratio of choice is installed, so that bit is kind of moot as well. But to each their own. Definitely not unthinkable to mix and match, but I believe that the Sterling doesn't quite get the credit it deserves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
14 bolt is a plow. Sterling has better ground clearance than a 14 bolt and a Dana 60. I've never witnessed anybody break a 10.25 or 10.5 for what it's worth. They'll handle a lot of abuse.

In order of ease to set up, easiest 14 bolt>Sterling>60, so I don't really see it as much of an issue at all.
14 bolts are definitely huge boat anchors, that's for damn certain. I really do respect the sterlings, and since you can get ox lockers for them, they seem to be a really good choice (though i've never run one so I can't say much for how stout they are). That's why I mentioned them in my original post right alongside the 14b. I personally actually wouldn't run a 14b in one of my own trucks, but I feel like the knowledge that it's possible to run whatever combo you want is good to have.
'85 Honda ATC350x
'75 Chevy K20 on tons
Old 07-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 501233
I would have to agree with the 1ton option. I have an 04 150 with matching dana60/sterling 10.5 out of a super donkey. I have been daily driving said truck for over 8 months now. I do not regret doing the swap. But it is for sure lots of work. A welder and some fab skills go a long way though. I have a thread in the ford section on the build. That 1999 f150 sas thread is also a great place to look too.
F*** ROADS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in