OBS Dove nose - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
OBS Dove nose

so its slow around here so want to talk about dove nosing an obs ford. tried it on my last rig and was not happy with it and well that lead to a newer f150 grille that you all hated so if you where to do it would you keep the head lights and make the grille smaller, or ditch the head lights and run just the grille? would you cut the fenders to clear the cab or let the fenders hang out and have the gap at the door area?

few pics of pinched/doved obs with head lights ive come across

The Brawlers 85 bronco but its a bull nose and looks awesome

the svt truggy from way back when

buddys truck that has the cleanest pinch with headlights that ive seen. even if the grille still looks little off to me

and few with no head lights and just the grille. the gap in the front fender where it meets the grille looks weird to me and reason i hated the look when i tried to dove my last rig

Wmarcom's crew cab

Badasseddie's bronco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowracer; 01-31-2019 at 08:59 AM.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 492169
I agree the gap between the fenders and grille looks ugly on a dovenosed OBS. Bricknose pinched in looks bad ass. Keeping the headlights looks cool on the later models but it looked like such a PITA to do right and I didn't have any usable parts that weren't already busted and shitty. Plus my entire truck is busted and shitty... thats my excuse!

[IMG]1215181307[/IMG]
Wmarcom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmarcom View Post
I agree the gap between the fenders and grille looks ugly on a dovenosed OBS. Bricknose pinched in looks bad ass. Keeping the headlights looks cool on the later models but it looked like such a PITA to do right and I didn't have any usable parts that weren't already busted and shitty. Plus my entire truck is busted and shitty... thats my excuse!
do you have any pictures of how you did it at the cab side? did you cut the fender to bend it in? still have the stock fender mounts that stick out from the firewall ect?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 120478
I vote narrow the grill and keep the headlights. The headlights are a key part of the look of the front end. So is the grill but my point is you can keep the grill and narrow it and maintain the "character". Especially true on a 92-96!
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I've honestly never seen one I liked, but if you gotta do it, try to keep the headlights imo.

I think it would be pretty cool if someone started making fiberglass hoods that had the sides done smooth and correctly for the purpose, but that would require enough of a demand for them that will likely never be there. One of the desert fender companies would likely be the best bet.

If I ever want a narrower truck I'll build a Ranger or plop the body of one on top of a fullsize frame. I think a fullsize looks fantastic with the right tires, bumper, and fender trimming to clear.

PS, 85 isn't a "brick nose". That would be '87-91. '80-86 is "bull nose".

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 01-30-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 127719
Definitely keep the headlights. Looks really halfassed without them.

Tow Pig: 86 F350 Turbo 6.9/ZF5 4x4 converted dually

Quote:
old Chevy vs new Chevy ? nobody gives a fuck
please kick yourself in the cunt,
oneofakind97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
buddys truck that has the cleanest pinch with headlights that ive seen. even if the grille still looks little off to me

Yup do that. If he ground those welds and slapped a bit of bondo and paint on there it'd look really good! And if he replaced that grill with one of those aftermarket wire grills cut down to fit it'd look even better. The reason the grill looks weird is because of the two middle vertical bars right next to each other.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-GRIL...igtp:rk:3:pf:0

I'm more of a stock grill fan myself rather than the billet ones like above, but for cutting down I think that'd be the ticket to making it look good.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
I vote narrow the grill and keep the headlights. The headlights are a key part of the look of the front end. So is the grill but my point is you can keep the grill and narrow it and maintain the "character". Especially true on a 92-96!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind97 View Post
Definitely keep the headlights. Looks really halfassed without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Yup do that. If he ground those welds and slapped a bit of bondo and paint on there it'd look really good! And if he replaced that grill with one of those aftermarket wire grills cut down to fit it'd look even better. The reason the grill looks weird is because of the two middle vertical bars right next to each other.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-GRIL...igtp:rk:3:pf:0

I'm more of a stock grill fan myself rather than the billet ones like above, but for cutting down I think that'd be the ticket to making it look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
I've honestly never seen one I liked, but if you gotta do it, try to keep the headlights imo.

I think it would be pretty cool if someone started making fiberglass hoods that had the sides done smooth and correctly for the purpose, but that would require enough of a demand for them that will likely never be there. One of the desert fender companies would likely be the best bet.

If I ever want a narrower truck I'll build a Ranger or plop the body of one on top of a fullsize frame. I think a fullsize looks fantastic with the right tires, bumper, and fender trimming to clear.

PS, 85 isn't a "brick nose". That would be '87-91. '80-86 is "bull nose".
have never been a fan of the pinched 92-96 trucks as just looks weird with a little grille and big head lights. the white one i posted is the first one ive seen that i dont hate. he took 20 inches total out of the front and still looks ok as the grille is not to small. on mine im leaning toward no head lights as they are just there for looks on my truck as no wiring for them and i dont even have bulbs in them anymore took a look last night and could pretty much pull the grille back 6 plus inches so that might lessen the gap to the fenders but would have to trim the hood way back to match

fixed the brick/bull issues as knew i was wrong when typing it up

Old 01-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
If I were to ever narrow a fullsize, I'd try putting an early bronco grill on it.
People did early bronco grills with Bronco 2s, have put widened grills on race trucks, someone needs to put it on a fullsize.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
fixed the brick/bull issues as knew i was wrong when typing it up
I didn't give too much shit over a little mistake, but I was like "really? Snowracer?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
If I were to ever narrow a fullsize, I'd try putting an early bronco grill on it.
People did early bronco grills with Bronco 2s, have put widened grills on race trucks, someone needs to put it on a fullsize.
That might look pretty cool if trimmed to fit correctly. Basically, needs more thought than a Canadian high on brake cleaner and a sawzall is probably gonna give it.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
I didn't give too much shit over a little mistake, but I was like "really? Snowracer?"

That might look pretty cool if trimmed to fit correctly. Basically, needs more thought than a Canadian high on brake cleaner and a sawzall is probably gonna give it.
you are giving me way to much credit as im not classy enough for a sawzall, im more of a 6 inch cut off wheel on a 5 inch grinder kinda guy

have thought about doing an older grille as buddy has a few bump side grilles that i could get my hands on. just not sure how it would look trying to match it to the new fenders and hood. the best looking ones are the dent side trucks as can keep the round head lights and the grille still looks good, kinda like on Gord

Last edited by snowracer; 01-31-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 492169
Quote:
do you have any pictures of how you did it at the cab side? did you cut the fender to bend it in? still have the stock fender mounts that stick out from the firewall ect?
I used a cut off wheel and pie-cut those arms at the firewall. Then bolt the fenders on and tilt them in per taste and weld the firewall mounts back up. The fenders needed some relief cutting to match up at the door gap, but I just kicked them until they took the correct shape. Easy peasy.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Why half ass it? Just narrow the whole cab
Old 01-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Like you I've been interested in dove noses lately. I also never really liked the way they look. Thinking lately that function is over form in this arena. Hence raisin body texture lol. I have wondered how much extra you get out of dove nosed front end most of the time when i hit a body panel, it's from the cab back that gets damaged. Usually don't touch the front fenders on anything.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 716946
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Like you I've been interested in dove noses lately. I also never really liked the way they look. Thinking lately that function is over form in this arena. Hence raisin body texture lol. I have wondered how much extra you get out of dove nosed front end most of the time when i hit a body panel, it's from the cab back that gets damaged. Usually don't touch the front fenders on anything.
I’m in this frame of mind as well , however if you’re going to do it I vote keep the headlights

Last edited by 1975f100; 01-31-2019 at 09:16 PM.
1975f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I bought a 80s chevy that had been narrowed, it was done very well, about 12" forward of the doors it was creased and folded in, he'd used 2 pairs of fenders to make up for the lost length. He spent a lot of time reinforcing the hood and adding some structure to the fenders. It had a billet grille that was cut for round headlights. Had a solid 1991 mini truck vibe, but was clean
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLBILT View Post
Why half ass it? Just narrow the whole cab
you shut your dirty mouth i just finished talking myself out of doing that so dont need to open that can of worms again

Quote:
its a function over form thing for sure as still on the fence as far as the looks. but have about 2 real wheeling trip on the truck and the front fenders are already dented and took out one marker light. so know the front clip only has a few more runs left on it if i keep driving like a blind man with a heavy right foot and no care about sheet metal

Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975f100 View Post
Iím in this frame of mind as well , however if youíre going to do it I vote keep the headlights
I have an 01 silverado, but am for sure keeping the headlights. Even if only for looks.

Quote:
you shut your dirty mouth i just finished talking myself out of doing that so dont need to open that can of worms again

its a function over form thing for sure as still on the fence as far as the looks. but have about 2 real wheeling trip on the truck and the front fenders are already dented and took out one marker light. so know the front clip only has a few more runs left on it if i keep driving like a blind man with a heavy right foot and no care about sheet metal
Well, i know this will be me soon... I've been getting more and more aggressive every time out. Saturday we went out, and now i have no mirrors, no passenger door handle, and a multitude of new dents. Im actually building an all new rig after our house is done, but the current one is going to get back halved, and maybe pinched a little. You know, for practice lol. I know once the bank half is done, it will be game on, and the abuse will only get worse
Old 02-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 329665
My fenders see a lot of action, if I hadn't narrowed the front end 22" I'm not sure what would be left of it.
Attached Images

The Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 83301
bullnose fenders are probably the best for a narrow....mated to a Early bronco grille would be sweet.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 708218
Snowracer, IMO Brawlers bronc and Brians white Ford are the best looking ones you shared. Forgive my Ford ignorance if this is sacrilegious, but why not narrow a bullnose front clip for your truck? Flame on if necessary
Old 02-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLBILT View Post
Snowracer, IMO Brawlers bronc and Brians white Ford are the best looking ones you shared. Forgive my Ford ignorance if this is sacrilegious, but why not narrow a bullnose front clip for your truck? Flame on if necessary
the bullnose fords are the best of the 80-96 trucks to do for sure and i could swap the front clip on mine to do a bullnose pinched clip. only reason not to do it is that i a have a crap ton of 92-96 body parts and no 80-86 parts

Old 02-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 492169
Quote:
Thinking lately that function is over form in this arena. Hence raisin body texture lol. I have wondered how much extra you get out of dove nosed front end most of the time when i hit a body panel, it's from the cab back that gets damaged. Usually don't touch the front fenders on anything.
Just my $0.02, since I pinched in the fenders I realized how nice it is to squeeze around trees and other tight spots. Used to hook the fenders/hood on things all the time. The doors/cab make a nice pivot point for getting a crew cab through the jeep trails, where catching a front fender meant needing reverse.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Ok ok, pinch is worth it. Snowracer, i think you should try to keep the headlights for looks at the very least. Just copy the white truck as close as possible, while doing something different with the grille.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
link to svt truggy? looks like a sbc in it bleh
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in