Dana 60 KP brake shields/backing plates? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 864864
Dana 60 KP brake shields/backing plates?

Longtime lurker, first post. I have a 95 F250 and I am currently rebuilding a KP Dana 60 to do a SAS. I'm finding conflicting information and curious if anyone has an answer.

The KP D60's brake shields were rusted, cracked and paper thin, so I chucked them months ago and was going to run without them(they're only good for collecting rocks & mud anyways). It came from a 91 F350 and from the factory does not have outer axle snap rings or even grooves for outer snap rings(yes, some were manufactured like this). That being said, I have heard that the brake dust shield also acts as a spacer for the spindle and without it I will have binding issues. I should've cut out the spindle lug pattern part and left it on.

So does anyone with a KP D60, without outer axle snap rings, run theirs without brake shields successfully or do I need to source some used ones since they are no longer manufactured?
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
The brake shields aren't going to matter. All you're doing is moving the spindle and everything on it inboard by less than 1/8"
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 212988
I run mine without shields and have no issues. Actually I think it works better since it's not trapping debris.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 864864
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
The brake shields aren't going to matter. All you're doing is moving the spindle and everything on it inboard by less than 1/8"
I appreciate the reply. That's what I'm thinking, but have found other people say that small amount of gap difference causes issues that are unique to axles without snap rings. And with internet searches, it makes things clear as mud! To make myself sleep better at night I may just take TTB D50 shields, cut out the ring portion and install just that..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 120478
You're talking about the big snap ring that goes on the ID of the wheel hub or the smaller one that goes on the OD of the axle shaft?

Honestly either way I think it's fine without the shield. I have a 91 kingpin, no dust Shields and I've had a few different combinations of axle shafts and hubs all without issue. With everything assembled correctly there's still some back and forth shimmy in the axle shaft so there's some wiggle room to line everything up.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 05:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 864864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
You're talking about the big snap ring that goes on the ID of the wheel hub or the smaller one that goes on the OD of the axle shaft?

Honestly either way I think it's fine without the shield. I have a 91 kingpin, no dust Shields and I've had a few different combinations of axle shafts and hubs all without issue. With everything assembled correctly there's still some back and forth shimmy in the axle shaft so there's some wiggle room to line everything up.
Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I'm talking about the smaller one on the OD of the end axle stub.

If it makes a difference, my D60 had the dust shield behind the spindle and in front of the caliper bracket, so it did set the spindle out slightly(I've seen D60's on Dodge & GM have the shield attached in front of the spindle). I'm probably over thinking it but after seeing other posts where people had problems I was concerned.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 120478
I'm 97.4% sure you'll be fine without it.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 213911
I think it was 1990 forward none of the Ford D60 had the outer snap ring.
I used a later stub shaft on my 88 KP60 and cut the groove with a zip cut.
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post
I have heard that the brake dust shield also acts as a spacer for the spindle and without it I will have binding issues.

I would love to hear someone explain how the U-Joint is going to have binding issues, on a floating shaft with no snap ring on the end ....

You don't need dust shields, if the thickness of the dust shields were to throw anything off it would be the relationship of the caliper to the rotor, and it has enough clearance built in to more than compensate for the loss of a less than 1/16" thick dust shield .
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 864864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Rock View Post
I would love to hear someone explain how the U-Joint is going to have binding issues, on a floating shaft with no snap ring on the end ....

You don't need dust shields, if the thickness of the dust shields were to throw anything off it would be the relationship of the caliper to the rotor, and it has enough clearance built in to more than compensate for the loss of a less than 1/16" thick dust shield .
I've found a couple of posts were people claim they have had issues without them, but not photos to back it up, that's why I was asking. That's good to know about the rotor/caliper clearance. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 864864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfist View Post
I think it was 1990 forward none of the Ford D60 had the outer snap ring.
I used a later stub shaft on my 88 KP60 and cut the groove with a zip cut.
From what I can find, I'd say 99% had them. I've also seen later than 1990 have them, so I'm not sure what the date range is - or if one was even followed?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
have never run them and have had zero issues due to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in