F250 on 40s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
F250 on 40s

I have a 2015 f250 6.7L with a pro comp 6 inch lift on 40 inch tires. Anyone have good solid advice on how to beef up the front end?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited by ckkphoto; 05-17-2019 at 07:56 AM.
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,052
what do you mean by "beef" as to some guys Toy diffs are beef and others think AT4000s are beef
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
I should have been more specific. I have a Dana 60 diff. By front end i was referring to steering components. Sway bar, pittman arm, idler arm. I have broken all of that. I have also replaced inner and outer tie rods. Granted that is because I wheel a 7500 pond vehicle. That alone doesn't mean someone out ther has not addressed this well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Member # 66173
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 532
You can't expect the stock steering box and linkage to deal with 40's on their own. Put in hydro assist.
__________________
2000 XJ
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
You can't expect the stock steering box and linkage to deal with 40's on their own. Put in hydro assist.
Brand?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
I should have been more specific. I have a Dana 60 diff. By front end i was referring to steering components. Sway bar, pittman arm, idler arm. I have broken all of that. I have also replaced inner and outer tie rods. Granted that is because I wheel a 7500 pond vehicle. That alone doesn't mean someone out ther has not addressed this well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
F-250 with a Dana 60?



Have you confirmed this?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
You can't expect the stock steering box and linkage to deal with 40's on their own. Put in hydro assist.
Absolutely agree.



That's what I did with my '99 F-350.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
F-250 with a Dana 60?







Have you confirmed this?
Yep. Dana 60 35 spline. Truetrack differential. 4.88 gearing

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
Yep. Dana 60 35 spline. Truetrack differential. 4.88 gearing

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Factory installed/OEM?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
Brand?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I put an AGR Steering kit in mine.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Factory installed/OEM?
Factory dana 60. Aftermarket gearing and diff.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
I put an AGR Steering kit in mine.
Thanks. Will look into it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Member # 143737
Location: NH
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Factory installed/OEM?
05+ are all D60, no D50 bullshit
__________________
POS Ranger on narrow 3/4 tons with a 357w noise maker
posford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
Factory dana 60. Aftermarket gearing and diff.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Wow; that's the first I've heard of a an F-250 with a factory Dana 60.

And your's is not even a dually, correct?



My '99 F-350 PS had a Dana 50.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
05+ are all D60, no D50 bullshit
Awesome!



That was my concluding assumption.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
Thanks. Will look into it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
The reason I got the kit was because I sheered the sector shaft turning 37s.


It took about about 3 years; but one New Years morning after getting off shift I was backing out of a parking space.

Half way through turning while backing out, the steering suddenly got incredibly easy.

Like, grandma's '75 Cadillac easy.

Got out and looked at the steering box; sector shaft was sheered clean off just above the pitman arm.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Got out and looked at the steering box; sector shaft was sheered clean off just above the pitman arm.[/QUOTE]

What are you driving?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Wow; that's the first I've heard of a an F-250 with a factory Dana 60.



And your's is not even a dually, correct?







My '99 F-350 PS had a Dana 50.
Correct SRW. XLT crew cab

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God
 
snowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 141697
Location: Great White North aka BC Canada
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
I should have been more specific. I have a Dana 60 diff. By front end i was referring to steering components. Sway bar, pittman arm, idler arm. I have broken all of that. I have also replaced inner and outer tie rods. Granted that is because I wheel a 7500 pond vehicle. That alone doesn't mean someone out ther has not addressed this well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
take the sway bar off or make disconnects if you want it for street driving. whats wrong with a stock pitman arm? not sure what you mean by idler as truck does not have one. like said in your other post you need to call EMF and get the tie rod/drag link set up the sell and that will be end of those issues. as already posted above add hydro assist to take some load off the steering box. this is all very noob shit that could be found with a little search time
__________________
PLAN-B F250 on 44s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowracer; 05-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 95025
Location: No Country For Old Men
Posts: 17,442
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
Got out and looked at the steering box; sector shaft was sheered clean off just above the pitman arm.

What are you driving?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That was my '99 F-350 PS with 37" BFGs.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
take the sway bar off or make disconnects if you want it for street driving. whats wrong with a stock pitman arm? not sure what you mean by idler as truck does not have one. like said in your other post you need to call EMF and get the tie rod/drag link set up the sell and that will be end of those issues. as already posted above add hydro assist to take some load off the steering box. this is all very noob shit that could be found with a little search time
I will absolutely contact EMF!
I am looking at making disconnects for the sway bar. Any downsides offroad?
Thanks for the input!
Not ashamed of being a noob. I dont know another person who is trying to do what i am. AND despite lots of searching I have spent a lot of money on bad advice. Even when I get good advice it sometimes takes a bit more follow up just to confirm it and make a plan.
I appreciate all those folks who are willing to help with their experience.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited by ckkphoto; 05-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 177092
Posts: 381
As Snoracer mentioned, your truck does't have an idler arm so I am not sure what you mean, and how did you break your pitman arm? I have only ever seen one broken pitman arm... Also, what do you mean by inner and outer tie rods It sounds like you are talking about an IFS Chevy front end instead of a Ford Dana 60.

As others have said, hydro assist will help steering 40s on a big, heavy truck and you can upgrade the steering linkage and joints. The late model Ford tie rod ends are pretty beefy though, so I am surprised you are having major issues with them unless you are putty shitty parts store replacements in it.

Just ditch the swaybar if it is primarily an offroad toy, but if you are worried about sway on the road, disconnects would be a good idea. Just make sure the swaybar doesn't get in the way of the tires or other suspension components throughout the travel and steering range while it is locked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Wow; that's the first I've heard of a an F-250 with a factory Dana 60.

And your's is not even a dually, correct?



My '99 F-350 PS had a Dana 50.
Christ, have you been living under a rock?!

Supposedly all Super Duties got Dana 60s starting sometime in the 2003 model year, although the 2005+ Super Duties are definitely all Dana 60s with 35 spline outers. Ford even advertised this fact pretty heavily for the 2005 models when they came out.

Also, no such thing as a 3/4 ton dually from the factory that I am aware of for any year or make (not counting the goofy Jap mini-truck dualies).

Last edited by '84 Bronco II; 05-17-2019 at 01:21 PM.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
As Snoracer mentioned, your truck does't have an idler arm so I am not sure what you mean, and how did you break your pitman arm? I have only ever seen one broken pitman arm... Also, what do you mean by inner and outer tie rods It sounds like you are talking about an IFS Chevy front end instead of a Ford Dana 60.



As others have said, hydro assist will help steering 40s on a big, heavy truck and you can upgrade the steering linkage and joints. The late model Ford tie rod ends are pretty beefy though, so I am surprised you are having major issues with them unless you are putty shitty parts store replacements in it.



Just ditch the swaybar if it is primarily an offroad toy, but if you are worried about sway on the road, disconnects would be a good idea. Just make sure the swaybar doesn't get in the way of the tires or other suspension components throughout the travel and steering range while it is locked out.
I appreciate your input! It would be a lot easier to just remove the sway bar. Lost a wheel on the highway when my lug nuts sheared off is how i sustained so much steering damage. But still alive and unfurtunately had to go with OEM parts bc i dont yet know the proper aftermatket upgrades sources and vendors. So....will like have to do this again which sucks but that is why i am on the boards...to try to be prepared next time

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Member # 177092
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
I appreciate your input! It would be a lot easier to just remove the sway bar. Lost a wheel on the highway when my lug nuts sheared off is how i sustained so much steering damage. But still alive and unfurtunately had to go with OEM parts bc i dont yet know the proper aftermatket upgrades sources and vendors. So....will like have to do this again which sucks but that is why i am on the boards...to try to be prepared next time

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Well, if all your stuff got damaged from a wheel coming off at highway speeds, then I don't think I'd blame the stock parts

I'd recommend making sure your lug nuts are properly torqued and running the truck as is. It looks like you are running in the mud instead of rocks based on your other post in the "Super Duty on 42s" thread, so hydro assist may not even be necessary for you unless you are having a lot of difficulty steering and shearing sector shafts in your steering box. The later model Super Duties have much better steering boxes than the earlier ones.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Member # 847209
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
Well, if all your stuff got damaged from a wheel coming off at highway speeds, then I don't think I'd blame the stock parts



I'd recommend making sure your lug nuts are properly torqued and running the truck as is. It looks like you are running in the mud instead of rocks based on your other post in the "Super Duty on 42s" thread, so hydro assist may not even be necessary for you unless you are having a lot of difficulty steering and shearing sector shafts in your steering box. The later model Super Duties have much better steering boxes than the earlier ones.
Wheel came off bc the tire shop used a lug centric spacer on a hub centric wheel. I did not know the difference until afterwards. Needless to say that I won't darken their door again. But i am not gonna quit off roading so....i am learning what i dont know with each experience good and bad. Just hate spending money twice. I will eventually have reliable sources and make fewer stupid (costly and potentially danerous) mistakes.



As far as mud goes...actually I avoid it when i can. Unnecessary wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
ckkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F250 HP 44 help 1289 Jeep - Non Hardcore 10 08-26-2018 04:05 PM
40's or not to 40's? cjs1031 General 4x4 Discussion 36 11-19-2016 03:39 PM
1967 FORD F250 HIGHBOY WITH 7.3L POWERSTROKE SWAP 67-7THREE Vehicles and Trailers For Sale 5 06-21-2014 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.