Bw4406 1356 Econoline 4x4 conversion - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
one of my buds did a 4.2 swap into his ranger. i begged him to not do that..if he wanted a 6 cyl...it would be wiser to just run a cyclone 3.7 or 3.5 from something lke a transit instead.. that way ya get the bad ass 6r80 too.

he ended up with a explorer 5.0 after the inevitable 4.2 implosion....though to be fair the 5.0 kicked him in the balls too and the 8.8 got cranky out back....

but the 5.0 is worth working on.

of course..with good maintenence the 4.2 can be a 250-300 k work horse in front of a 5 speed or 4r70.... but it is a coin toss compared to the 4.3 gm.... the gm 4.3 is an awesome lil work horse...especially the earlier 90's units. i would rather have a 4.3 if the choice was between those two.

in your situation working with what you have is prudent. hopefully you have a good one and you will be happier then a pig in slop with the beast.

powerstrokes comparatively are POTENTIALLY much more expensive to own when towing is not a goal.

so i think your right on and i was too quick with my bias....cause i loved my e350 psd. but that big bitch could knock down an honest 19-23 mpg at 65 mph(2wd). hard not to love the damn thing.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed this works out. I wish I could've found an idi van, I know they're no modern power house like the psd but they are so dead simple it's not even funny. I had a 92 crew cab dually 2wd for about 6 months before I traded it for a jeep because it needed too much work that I didn't really want to do back then. It got good mileage and would run on the crappiest fuel. I hit 21mpg a few times when working out of town. It was slow but that old rusty truck would haul anything you could put behind it, within reason of course, I wasn't trying to haul a 330 cat trackhoe or anything like that. But car trailers loaded down with scrap and loads of dirt and wood no problem. Just slow going.
dw89xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 377602
I just tell myself they're all junk when they're broke. Hahaha

I'm a Chevy guy before anything else. I wish Chevy would've made the g vans in a full frame design so it would be as simple to swap as the ford. I do have to say empty vans compared I've had all of the big 3 in 6 cylinder and this Ford is definitely the most powerful feeling but it also has the lowest gears so far. My dodge is a dog with the 3.9 and airplane gears but my wife likes it. The 6 cyl Chevy was better than the dodge but had slightly better gears, my wife didn't like it because the driver area not being modern like the Ford and dodge. Now I'm getting my license back and just want to have a cool van to take me wherever I want to get to.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Getting out and using whatever you've got is far better than sitting at home with impressive plans for a perfect build

I'd speculate that your 4.2 4r70w could live a long enough life with 4.88s and 32"ish tires, just slow down when you need to.

My gm van is an 06, full frame, I did an ifs 4wd build, knowing if it didn't work I could go sas. The IFS was a personal challenge, but it keeps it a low profile, only 3" over stock, perfect for bombing 200 miles of freeway at 75mph, then following some 2 tracks through the woods to a camp site without getting stuck. I'm buying a CNC plasma table soon, going to start selling either the vans, or doing conversions.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Getting out and using whatever you've got is far better than sitting at home with impressive plans for a perfect build <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif" border="0" alt="" title="evil" >:-)</a>

I'd speculate that your 4.2 4r70w could live a long enough life with 4.88s and 32"ish tires, just slow down when you need to.

My gm van is an 06, full frame, I did an ifs 4wd build, knowing if it didn't work I could go sas. The IFS was a personal challenge, but it keeps it a low profile, only 3" over stock, perfect for bombing 200 miles of freeway at 75mph, then following some 2 tracks through the woods to a camp site without getting stuck. I'm buying a CNC plasma table soon, going to start selling either the vans, or doing conversions.

Yours sounds pretty sweet. I started reading your thread after I asked about the unibody. I had assumed you had a g van instead of the express style for some reason. I'm partial to Chevy mainly because I've mostly had Chevy and know more about fixing them. If I could've found an AWD express equipped like this van for the same price range I would've been all over it and put a regular transfer case. But I guess econolines are more affordable because of sheer amount of them and all the fleet contracts.
I want to stay lowish with this van if possible, no more than 4" and no more than 35s if they will even fit. I have stock f25p springs and a leveling kit, I also have 2" shackles just in case the leveling kit won't cut it. I've always been a fan of filling the wheel to fender gap if possible.
It seems like I might be pioneering building a 4.2 4x4 van so I guess il be the first to know if it's up to the task of daily driver weekend warrior hunting camping duties. The general consensus on the f150 forum is that the 4.2 is a tough little engine and can take a beating, hence why it's so popular in fleet application. Made sense to me but I've been bs'ed before hahaha. I've wheeled with 4cyl rangers and yjs on 37s that guys beat on for years before getting rid of or major failure from abuse. I live in almost the middle of Cumberland valley so I don't need to travel too far and our mountains are ant hills compared to out west. I make a 4 hour trip to northern pa about twice a year. If I stick to the highway instead of zig zagging across Perry and juniata county I can cut that back to about 3 hours or a little more.
My big thing with this build is using as much stock Ford easy to acquire parts as possible. Well that and keeping it reliable, I don't need to get there fast I just need to get there. I got all the time in the world to enjoy the scenery on the ride and clog up the slow lane.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 377602
I will be glad to get it back from the body shop though, after the front axle is in the rest is all easy stuff, well hopefully I'm sure something will be different or cause an issue. Either way I have all my parts except shortened gas tank and drive shafts.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 377602
Still waiting for the body man to get done. At this rate il be lucky to make Pennsylvania rifle season while still being 2wd....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in