Questions about ditching the TTB and swapping a 60 in a 96 F250.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 41212
Send a message via AIM to zachis4wheeling
Questions about ditching the TTB and swapping a 60 in a 96 F250....

I looked back for the last 2 months on all 20 something pages hoping to find some info. on this swap but couldn't really find anything that answered a couple questions I have about doing what I want to do. I also looked on fullsizebronco's solid axle swap forum and thy had alot of F150 and Ranger info., but nothin on F250s that had TTB......

A buddy of mine who lives on a farm is selling the family farm truck. Its a 96 F-250 regular cab long box 4x4 witha 7.3 PSD and a 5 speed.....it has like 110,000 miles or somethin.....perfect truck in my opinion. The body is a little rough. It has a plow that comes with it and has minimal rust for being in the middle of the rustbelt and for bein a farm truck. They are selling it cheap too....like $4600 I think.

I really need a reliable daily driver work truck for the work I do so I am thinking about picking this truck up. Something I can drive 150 miles a day and hook up a couple tons behind and not have to worry about. I want a diesel 4x4 stick shift regular cab and I love the 92-96 Ford body style. And sadly enough, the body actually has to be in decent shape as the truck is one of the major things that advertises for my small but growing carpentry business.

I am familiar with the leafsprung TTB setup in the front of this truck and that is the only part I am not too crazy about. If this were an F350 same truck and everything just witha solid axle, I wouldn't even be asking this question. But since it isn't, I have a couple things I wana know about it....

I am pretty sure it has the D50 front pig and not the D44. Either way, I havn't really heard alot of good things as far as ride quality and strength of this leaf sprung TTB setup.

I've actually done quite a bit of research on this site in the past before you had to have a red star to search like a year or 2 back....and seen where different guys have pulled everything but the leaf springs out on their F250 and swapped a Solid axle Dana 60 in from an F350. The only thing is, I can't remember alot of the stuff since it's been so long....so that is what my questions are about. If I get this truck, this would probably be on of the first things I'd do. Plowing snow puts alot of weight on the front of a truck and solid axles are pretty much the only way to go with plowing. If the leaves on a F250 are twisting as much as they do from the TTB, I don't like that idea either.....I also would wana so the SAS because another friend of mine has a complete 1990 kingpin Dana 60 from an F350 that he would sell me for pretty cheap.

OK...now on to my questions.....

-Will this axle bolt into the 1992-1997 F250s on the stock F250 leaf springs?

-Or do I need to use F350 springs?

-Will the shackle reversal from ORU thats made for the F350s work on the F250 I'm lookin at?

-What do I have to do for the trac bar since the F350s of these years had that trac bar on top of the axle?

-If I just go to the Ford dealer and get a new stock trac bar mount that mounts to the frame on an F350 and bolt it up on the F250, would I be able to use that if I wanted to keep this truck at stock height or maybe level height at the tallest?

-Do I need a custom trac bar made or can I use the stock one on the F350s?

-Do I really even need a trac bar on this truck? Alot of solid axle trucks in the past didn't ever use them.....

-Does the driveshaft need any modifications?

-Will stock F350 steering linkage bolt right up on the Dana 60 to the steering box on this F250?

-Whata bout a sway bar? Will the one off an F350 work on the 250?

-Say I did do this SAS on the F250 and later on down the road I wanted to lift the truck like maybe 4 or 6 inches, could i just buy an F350 lift kit and have it work for me?

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, I searched back a ways and couldn't use search since I don't have a red star....so I was wonderin if anyone out there has done this and if they have how it went for them? If anyone could help me who has experience doin this.....I'd really appreciate it.

Zach

Last edited by zachis4wheeling; 12-14-2006 at 08:10 AM.
zachis4wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4243
The rear-shackle kit should alleviate you from the track-bar. Sky makes one too. I would run without a swaybar first and see what its like.

My 1-ton Chevy doesn't use a track-bar and I've taken the swaybar off. I don't mind it at all.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16870
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachis4wheeling
-Will this axle bolt into the 1992-1997 F250s on the stock F250 leaf springs?
YES, but you won't like the ride.

-Or do I need to use F350 springs?
I bet you'd be happier with them. F250 TTB springs are very stiff.

-Will the shackle reversal from ORU thats made for the F350s work on the F250 I'm lookin at?
It can be made to work, several folks at the dieselstop have done it.

-What do I have to do for the trac bar since the F350s of these years had that trac bar on top of the axle?
Buy or fab one.

-If I just go to the Ford dealer and get a new stock trac bar mount that mounts to the frame on an F350 and bolt it up on the F250, would I be able to use that if I wanted to keep this truck at stock height or maybe level height at the tallest?

-Do I need a custom trac bar made or can I use the stock one on the F350s?

-Do I really even need a trac bar on this truck? Alot of solid axle trucks in the past didn't ever use them.....
It reduces sway quite a bit.

-Does the driveshaft need any modifications?
Yes, the F350 had a CV joint on it, and was shorter if I remember right.

-Will stock F350 steering linkage bolt right up on the Dana 60 to the steering box on this F250?
Steering box is same 250-350

-Whata bout a sway bar? Will the one off an F350 work on the 250?
Different sway bar.

-Say I did do this SAS on the F250 and later on down the road I wanted to lift the truck like maybe 4 or 6 inches, could i just buy an F350 lift kit and have it work for me?
Yes.

Zach
See comments above
86turbodsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47479
If you do the SAS, then do the shackle flip, you won't need the track bar. The track bar is there because the F250/350 have front mounted shackles, which caused the steering to be tricky at best (on the F-350). Swap in the D60, use the F-350 springs, and do a shackle flip, you won't regret it.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41212
well I talked to the buddy of mine with the dana 60 and he said it's out of a 1990 F350....making it a kingpin! Is the spring pad spacing the same on a 1990 and a 1996? If so, I think this just might work...I know it's different between the 78-79 F250s and 350s and the newer trucks....but I'm not sure if its the same betwen the 1990 and 1996...

Zach
Old 12-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
yeah, 80-97 is all the same, just bolt it in.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41212
Hey, its the man who gave the quote in my siggy! Havn't seen you in awhile? You still up at Mich. Tech? I was up there last spring visiting a buddy of mine and when we were up there, he took us out on a trail called boy scout trail...you ever been there?

Zach
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 872538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86turbodsl View Post
See comments above
Hey Zach im doing the same conversion from a 1996 ttb to a 1991 straight axle dana 60 how did your conversion go? any tips?
jmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgill View Post
Hey Zach im doing the same conversion from a 1996 ttb to a 1991 straight axle dana 60 how did your conversion go? any tips?
Well, that was 14 years ago, not sure he's coming back, but we do appreciate you searching

Maybe someone will come in with an exact parts list, or a link to a detailed thread.

I did the reverse, years ago, installing ttb into a f350 to resell, keeping the d60.

My Pittman arm needed to be swapped, the springs and front drive shaft should have been swapped, everything else went fairly smoothly.

You would be best off sourcing your d60 from a complete truck, and getting everything you need at that time. The forged piece, the lower divers side u bolt bracket is hard to come across and fetches $100 pretty easy.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 152143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Well, that was 14 years ago, not sure he's coming back, but we do appreciate you searching

Maybe someone will come in with an exact parts list, or a link to a detailed thread.

I did the reverse, years ago, installing ttb into a f350 to resell, keeping the d60.

My Pittman arm needed to be swapped, the springs and front drive shaft should have been swapped, everything else went fairly smoothly.

You would be best off sourcing your d60 from a complete truck, and getting everything you need at that time. The forged piece, the lower divers side u bolt bracket is hard to come across and fetches $100 pretty easy.
I have that piece sitting on my bench, for sale if anyone wants it! 14 year thread resurrection.......
jones518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgill View Post
I swapped a '91 Dana 60 into a '97 F250.

I used the factory springs, and I bought the driver's side cast plate from someone on pirate. I ordered the track bar mount and adjustable track bar from sky manufacturing.

I don't remember swapping the pitman arm. If I remember correctly, the '97 pitman arm was different from the earlier ones, and it was the same as the F350 arms. I bought all the new steering parts from the auto parts store. I also used the F250 driveshaft, but I measured it before and after. I believe that I had it shorted by one inch.

The truck drives great but rides like shit. My truck has add a leaf overloads in the front (former plow truck). I highly recommend swapping springs as well, but it will work without it.

I don't know if the front driveshaft vibrates at speed; I don't think that I've had it over 25 mph in 4wd (or with the hubs locked in). I need inner axle seals, so I don't want to push _all_ the fluid out.

You definitely need the track bar if you don't do a shackle reversal. The front shackles on those trucks just aren't designed to work without the track bar.
i don't like it, i don't understand it, and i don't think it would do good doughnuts and burnouts.
bremen242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post

he is here....and rockin the fullsize.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how ya like me now??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in