Run of the mill early bronco build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Now on another note I built my original 69 small bearing up with a detroit and 31splines with 4.88 gears. It seemed all great for a bit but after DD'ing it for a bit I fear the small bearing has had enough. It's pissing grease all over town and the old drum brakes can't cut it. I just had the fedex guy drop off a nice package today, 76 big bearing with Currie 31spl and a nice disk setup with all stainless lines and braided lines. The socket in the pic is 1 1/8 for ref, these are some beefy shafts for 31spl 9 inch shafts. I'm really happy with it and I'll start the swap this weekend.
Attached Images

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]Semper Fi[/SIZE][/COLOR]
br0nc0xrapt0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Also got some scratch and dent armor from someone who thinks he is a comedian, damn hooahs thank bud!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 104270
From the pics of the inside of the wheel it's plain to see that the housing has had enough. Never mind that, the new 76 rear is ready to go in. It's all buttoned up with the 4.88's, detroit, and 31 spline Strange shafts. One more brake line to plumb and it will be ready to bolt in. I also took some measurements and found I was not using all of my shock travel at full droop. I decided to use some shorter shock mounts from Ruff Stuff on my new housing to avoid bottoming out the shocks. Also I was blown away by how much more Beef there was on the Strange shafts than the 31 Spline shafts I got from toms.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 104270
I fished getting the new rear end in on sunday at about 6pm. I would have been done earlier but I needed to cut and swap the ends of 2 brake lines in order to keep using my Wild Horses extended rear brake line. I had to buy a flare tool since both of the Oriely's in Lawton had rented theirs out already. I never expect gold from Harbor Freight but the brake line Flare tool is garbage. Over all after the work on the trac bar and the new rear end I'm very happy with the way the bronco drives. I'm not sure I will be able to test everything before OCBR in sept unless I can find a playground close to Lawton.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 177573
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0nc0xrapt0r View Post
Also got some scratch and dent armor from someone who thinks he is a comedian, damn hooahs thank bud!
No problem homie. Whatever keeps that nice tin off the rocks!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Today was more scheduled maintenance in preparation for OCBR. My fuel lines have been Janky from day one on this thing and it's no small wonder how it hasn't burnt to the ground yet. Today I replaced all of the lines and built a ghetto fabulous fuel accumulator/filter for when I go EFI. I also found a decent 66 on base for sale but the owner ruined a lot of stuff by painting it black in an effort to hide stuff from prospective buyers. He also wanted an absurd 9500 for it.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 157777
great thread!, thank you for your service to our country!,, was that new rear disc brake axle from an other Classic bronco or from what other vehicle did you get it , Thanks Bo
captbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Thanks, rear axle was from a 76, shafts are from currie, brakes are CJ7 rotors with speedway weld on brackets and chevy S-10 calipers.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Small update.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
Nice! Have you sourced the new engine yet? It's funny how easy they come out and what a PITA they are to put back in. Good Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Busted" Budget Buggy; EFI 302, C6, NP205, HP KP Dana 60, 14 Bolt Rear, 40" Maxxis Trepadors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
maquet24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Quote:
Originally Posted by maquet24 View Post
Nice! Have you sourced the new engine yet? It's funny how easy they come out and what a PITA they are to put back in. Good Luck
It's on the garage floor... It should have been in by now but some hiccups occurred just like any good swap. One I forgot to get a new 164 tooth 50oz flywheel and two, my MSD dizzy is shit on the inside thanks to the humidity and salt from living in Hawaii. I am expecting by the middle of the week to have the rest of the parts "new flywheel and HEI dizzy" for now I am concentrating on removing a few miles of shitty wire work.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Just came in from cleaning up the wires, I am redoing a bunch of old crap and trying to get some good wires set up for the new HEI dist. I have two right now to choose from. The first is the Exciter for the Alt and the second is the coil wire that used to run to the resistor when it was points. Both put out a real healthy 12 volts. I am leaning towards the old resistor wire since it is roughly 12 gauge and has no other load where as the exciter wire needs to trip the alt so it charges. Meanwhile I need to run the wire from the "I" terminal to the coil also as it provides power while cranking whereas the other wires only provide power while the key is on the "on" position.

Make sense?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #88 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
Yeah totally makes sense
I ran into my biggest issues with the alternator too. What year and model is the engine coming out of?
And maybe I missed it in an earlier post but when you reran your fuel lines did you end up just doing a high pressure pump near the tank? If so how are you going to pull the fuel out of the accumulator?

"Busted" Budget Buggy; EFI 302, C6, NP205, HP KP Dana 60, 14 Bolt Rear, 40" Maxxis Trepadors

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Quote:
Originally Posted by maquet24 View Post
Yeah totally makes sense
I ran into my biggest issues with the alternator too. What year and model is the engine coming out of?
And maybe I missed it in an earlier post but when you reran your fuel lines did you end up just doing a high pressure pump near the tank? If so how are you going to pull the fuel out of the accumulator?
New mill is from a 95 Cobra, will be carbed for now and EFI later. The low pres carter P4070 is by the tank and pushes to the accumulator. Once it goes EFI there will be a high pressure pump on the firewall getting it's fuel from the accumulator and the low pressure return will go back to the accumulator. The alternator I plan to use will be stock 95 cobra unless I get a better bolt in suggestion.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 104270
All this thing needs is a clutch, and dizzy, and it's ready to go in. Still up in the air about the power steering pump. I could run the stock one from the Cobra or build a custom setup to run a Saginaw. Saginaw is in the future but would require a small can and a remote res from PSC.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #91 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87508
1995 Cobra? What's with the Carb? I've got a truck avenger carb I'm trying to sell if you're interested?

As for the fuel delivery your plan sounds similar to mine. I've got a low pressure (7psi) pump next to the fuel tank, it delivers to the accumulator up on the grill support, an EFI pump (100-115psi) pulls from the accumulator into the fuel rail, The fuel pressure regulator then sends any additional back to the accumulator and then back to the fuel tank. It seems to be working well so far, maybe too well with my rich mixture I've got right now.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 104270
No thanks, the only thing I'd put a holley on is craigslist. I have a Q-jet on there now and it runs fantastic. The whole motor swap is kind of un planned but I'm trying to wrap up loose ends. I really was just sick and tired of the leaky old 302 and shotty wire job of the old charging system. The new setup will have a nice GT40 roller with an updated charging system, I'll rewire the rest of the truck next year and add EFI after that. I look at it as a nice way to break up the mods. This is my DD also so I have to get this done asap.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Oh and before all this I planned for a 4BT or 351W swap but a buddy found this wrecked 95 Mustang Cobra with 60k miles in Honolulu so I could not pass up the motor and computer and harness for 500.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Putting in a motor by myself on a steep downhill driveway is not something I want to do again! At least my laziness paid off this time and I was able to ratchet strap the trans to the roll cage and raise it up and down through the massive hole cut in the tunnel to clear the NP435.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #95 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Cool cant wait to see efi on it. Id go ahead and do Saginaw now might as well.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Cool cant wait to see efi on it. Id go ahead and do Saginaw now might as well.
I have an Idea to Make a special reservoir for the Saginaw that will make it more cost effective. I need to run the remote PSC unit to make it work but this is pretty expensive. My plan is to buy the small res meant for running the remote unit and cutting a hole in it and extending it up with exhaust tube. All this because I cannot find my Cobra pump pulley I know it left Hawaii with the rest of my shit but I cannot find it here yet.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 104270
In other news I shipped the shocks yesterday which could be a down to the wire thing. Bilstein says 2 weeks and the shocks will not get there till Monday. I don't really need them to go but right now it's a pretty bouncy ride and my travel is really limited. My distributor will be here tomorrow evening so my plans for today are to finish the rewire for fan and fuel as well as get the new motor buttoned up and filled with fluids. My dumb ass forgot to plug the smog ports on the back of the heads do I have to do that now with the motor in there. I also need to swap the valve covers around so the oil fill does not interfere with the throttle linkage.

33 days until OCBR and I am driving this rig 390 miles to get there.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #98 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Well don't feel bad I forgot to plug the ports too. But I had to access them with a new hole through the firewall.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #99 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Ocbr?

The never-ending project

An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 104270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
Ocbr?
Oklahoma Classic Bronco Roundup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in