Daily Doubler Build - 96 Ranger - Page 33 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #801 (permalink)

Member # 100050
I've been tinkering with the Ranger a bit, so it's time for an update.

After the Flat Nasty trip, my clutch started to feel spongy again. I bled and bled and bled the slave again. No luck. As a last ditch effort, I bought a LUK clutch master, methodically bench bled everything, then swapped it in the truck. The clutch was super solid after that. I assume the bore of the OEM master was slightly scored and struggled to hold pressure with the clutch depressed. That's the original master, so I suppose it was time for a refresh.

With the clutch issue squared away (again), I moved on to the leaking power steering. Further inspection showed that it was actually leaking from the pressure hose fitting - not the box fittings. I just picked up a new fitting, swapped it on, and all seems well for now.

All of the wheels got new valve stems and hardware as well.

Then it was on to general maintenance, checking fluids, greasing joints, etc.

With everything tidied up, we loaded up and headed down to Windrock for the weekend. We had a solid group of guys and ran some pretty challenging trails. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #802 (permalink)

Member # 100050

The truck performed really well. Cruised at 70mph down the interstate then we ran a nearly 4 mile double black diamond trail.

My exhaust is super rusty and the muffler actually split during the drive home. It sounds obnoxious now, but that's an easy fix as I refuse to do my own exhaust work. I'll drop it off at the shop and have them rebuild the entire system from the headers back. Things are fairly fresh again and I'm excited to direct my focus back to the truck for a bit. I'm sure I'll get out another time or two before the year's over.

Last edited by Bray D; 07-16-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #803 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
How’s the steering working out?

Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 AM   #804 (permalink)

Member # 95448
Awesome updates! Looking back I wish I had followed your lead more on bumper and such. Haven't scaled mine yet but she is a pig for sure with F&R plate bumpers and winches.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #805 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
How’s the steering working out?
So far so good I suppose. I'm still running the GM P pump with the modified external PSC reservoir. I blew the seal out of my old box and more recently had this pressure line leak, but I think both were freak accidents. Everything should be pretty solid now. Next on the list is actually installing the cylinder and seeing if I have enough fluid capacity to run it.

I have a temp gauge on the steering system and it ran right at 165° all weekend (ambient temps in the 90's). It sits at 115-125 running down the road at the same ambient temps.

I rarely struggle to turn the tires, but the assist ram would still be a welcomed addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
Awesome updates! Looking back I wish I had followed your lead more on bumper and such. Haven't scaled mine yet but she is a pig for sure with F&R plate bumpers and winches.
I want to say my rig is between 4500-5000 depending on the load configuration. That said, I've pared down my toolbox quite a bit so I may be leaning a bit closer to the 4500lb mark. I haven't had it on a scale in a long time.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #806 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Next on the list is actually installing the cylinder and seeing if I have enough fluid capacity to run it.
Maybe public humiliation will get you to install the cylinder finally. How many years have you owned it? 6?

In all seriousness, was great wheeling with you as usual. That truck never ceases to amaze me, even on basically bald tires.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #807 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Maybe public humiliation will get you to install the cylinder finally. How many years have you owned it? 6?

In all seriousness, was great wheeling with you as usual. That truck never ceases to amaze me, even on basically bald tires.
Oh man, it's been way longer than 6 years, haha. Even if I add the cylinder, I still haven't solved my cavitation issues. I suppose those two things are fairly independent of each other, so maybe I should install the cylinder yet this summer.

The truck always impresses me too. To be honest I'm slightly concerned with losing that feel if I go to a stronger steering system, but I think I'll still have sufficient feedback to know when the truck is pulling hard in a line that it likes.

Always a pleasure wheeling with you too, my friend.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #808 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I can tell you with my system it definitely lets me know when it's pulling one way or another. Hopefully that gives you some confidence.

It's easy to go back if you decide to!

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #809 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
It's easy to go back if you decide to!
That's a good point. Nothing is permanent.

Le sigh. I'll dig out all of my cylinder goodies and put them in the shop to act as a daily reminder. Baby steps.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #810 (permalink)

Member # 289786
X2 on still feeling feedback on the steering pulling either direction with hydro assist. As you may have seen, there are still times where my steering just doesn't want to move when stopped and one of the wheels is hard pressed. Granted a fullsize is different from a Ranger, but I digress. I feel that hydro assist is a great happy medium, just double check clearance of everything, or you will end up like me at Flat Nasty (fitting on ram smacked frame at full stuff, bled out, had to cap the drill/tapped holes on the pump).

Great times wheeling with you again!!
Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #811 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Good to hear another report that it won't mute the feedback entirely. I think it's time to add the cylinder and put an end to my weak steering.

I started mocking things up and I think I'll be able to tuck the cylinder directly behind my tie rod. Zero loss of clearance. I need to pull the springs out and push everything up to full bump to make sure it'll still fit, but it looks promising right now.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #812 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Ha! Log on for the first time in a while and see this one pop back up. Good to see you're still giving the thing some love!

And damn, I haven't been out wheeling since that FN trip in December
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #813 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage. View Post
Ha! Log on for the first time in a while and see this one pop back up. Good to see you're still giving the thing some love!

Good timing! I was hoping you'd jump in here; it's good to hear from you.

Don't feel too bad - the Windrock trip was my first time out since FN. With any luck I'll get out a couple more times this year.

Grohe's comment sparked my curiosity, so I stripped the front end and pushed it up to full bump tonight. It's tight, but clearance is clearance.

Full bump with the steering at full lock:

Please excuse the dirtiness. I haven't washed it since I got back from Windrock.

The magnet that's holding the cylinder up is contacting the bottom of the tie rod. I'll still get the full benefits of high steer even with the cylinder installed.

The axle side bracket should be super simple. I'll just come off of my panhard bracket with a couple tabs. The tie rod side will be a bit more tricky. Everything will be super tight, but I still think I can weasel a couple tabs in there. On the plus side, everything picks up clearance as I deviate from full bump or full lock. This is the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Bray D; 07-22-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #814 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Man that first pic had me worried, but it seems like the shadows were playing games. Looks like you'll have ample clearance for the fittings and the odds of you being at full bump on both sides are pretty low. Did you pull the bumpstops too? I ask because they can compress more in a hit than simply jacking the axle up without springs.

What about flexed clearance? I assume you'll have more clearance when flexed vs. full bump, but it never hurts to check.

In the interest of making the tie rod tabs smaller, what are your thoughts on machining a recess in the clamp for the heim so that the bolt centerline can be even closer to the centerline of the tie rod? That may be more work than it's worth, however.

Even more work, but I'd be surprised if your diff cover can't be notched for clearance if that's needed, as well. Again - more work - but if it's needed, I'm guessing it can be done.

Enough from the peanut gallery. I just love watching you work through these types of projects, so I get excited and give my unsolicited input

I'm just glad to see you making progress after 8(?) years

Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #815 (permalink)

Member # 289786
For clarification, my fittings were orientated on top of my ram cylinder (90 degree fittings). I initially checked mine with each side at full compression on the bumpstops, but all it took was one decent bump for the front end to compress my bumpstop even more than anticipated and it put the smallest of crack right on one of the 90 degree fittings from coming in to contact with I believe was my oil pan. NOW, my fittings come straight out the back of the ram (pointing to rear of truck), and the ram is also slightly below my tie rod (which is on a high steer orientation) so there is ZERO chance of a fitting getting smacked. Only downside is that I had to bleed the ram while it was unbolted from the axle so that any air could escape.

Also, carry spare fittings, 1 hose, and caps for the drilled and tapped holes. It's cheap insurance. Dman saved me twice from carrying spare caps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage. View Post

Could have sworn I seen you at Badlands this past spring. You were following a group that had a decently built Commanche. It was like the 1 time this year I've taken the whole family with which is why I remember it so vaguely. If you come back to Badlands let us know!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #816 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
I'm just glad to see you making progress after 8(?) years
8 years is a pretty close approximation.

I only checked at full bump with the axle smashed against the bumpstops. I have pretty dense bumps; I know they may compress a little more, but I'm fairly confident I won't have any issues if I were to install it as is.

I should definitely let the passenger side droop out to see if the panhard intrudes on the ram even more. That'll be the next test I suppose.

I thought about milling the clamp to keep the joint as close as possible too. Thanks for solidifying that idea. I'll likely go that direction - every little bit helps.

I'm not so interested in notching the cover, but like you said, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grohe View Post
Also, carry spare fittings, 1 hose, and caps for the drilled and tapped holes. It's cheap insurance. Dman saved me twice from carrying spare caps!
Good call on the ram orientation. Sounds like you have your system pretty dialed at this point.

I keep caps in the cab as my previous box was drilled/tapped/capped. If I have issues I'll likely just pull the ram off, cap the box, and run the rest of the trip with normal steering like I have now.

I also carry a long pressure hose. I can cut to length to replace the existing pressure line on the truck, or run it full length from the pump to the cooler if I need to bypass the box (like I did when the seal blew out in Moab).

The list of spares keeps increasing, haha. You can never be too prepared though.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #817 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
You can never be too prepared though.
100% Accurate when your rig is your way home.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #818 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Hey @Bray D,

would you mind sharing photos of your knuckles where the steering connects?

I reviewed the rest of the thread but didn't find/ see any (photobucket issues?).

From what I can tell it appears that you are using tie rods but I noticed that your drag link has a bend at the axle end, which I have found usually leads to the DL flopping during steering actuation, and I'm curious if you notice any issues.

Or if I misinterpreted your arrangement, photos would offer me some clarity.

thanks.

Your Ranger makes me miss mine. I had a 94 extended cab- never built it nearly as well as yours, but I had dreams of bobbing the bed and putting it on tons / 37's.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP SCREWZER2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #819 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
Hey @Bray D,

would you mind sharing photos of your knuckles where the steering connects?

I reviewed the rest of the thread but didn't find/ see any (photobucket issues?).

From what I can tell it appears that you are using tie rods but I noticed that your drag link has a bend at the axle end, which I have found usually leads to the DL flopping during steering actuation, and I'm curious if you notice any issues.

Or if I misinterpreted your arrangement, photos would offer me some clarity.

thanks.

Your Ranger makes me miss mine. I had a 94 extended cab- never built it nearly as well as yours, but I had dreams of bobbing the bed and putting it on tons / 37's.

-Chris
The Photobucket issues piss me off. I've been hosting all of my recent pics on my own personal domain so I don't have to worry about them disappearing anymore.

I just zoomed in on the front end from my previous pic. Hopefully you can see what's going on. I can take more detailed pics later if you want more clarity.

I have Chevy knuckles with high steer arms. Tie rod attaches from the bottom up with 1 ton TRE's. It's a typical inverted T steering arrangement, but I'm using 1.50" x .250" tube which causes interference between the tie rod and drag link. The bend solves that problem. No serious performance issues that I've noticed, so if it's rolling it must be minimal.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #820 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Quote:
The Photobucket issues piss me off. I've been hosting all of my recent pics on my own personal domain so I don't have to worry about them disappearing anymore.

I just zoomed in on the front end from my previous pic. Hopefully you can see what's going on. I can take more detailed pics later if you want more clarity.
Nope, got it. Thanks.

Was ackerman angle a consideration when you chose your highsteer arms?

RIP SCREWZER2
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #821 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
Was ackerman angle a consideration when you chose your highsteer arms?
Not really. To have arms with the proper ackerman for my application, they would have to be custom parts. Almost everyone is running different width axles with different wheelbases. There's no single D44 arm that works for them all.

I just bought Branik arms 'off the shelf' and bolted them up. I guarantee it's not perfect, but it works.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #822 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Me and DMAN were shooting ideas back and forth today and landed on this. Disregard the castle nut - it's what I had so I didn't have to use the nylocs that came from PSC.

The shape of the supplied tabs were less than ideal once I cut them down. I'll make new ones that are symmetric about the hole so I can maximize the weld area.

I think the slightly recessed joint is going to work though.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #823 (permalink)

Member # 120478
That bracket is going to be a royal pain in the ass to get the bolts in. I built something like it years ago when I was determined to get double shear and all 6 bolts in... I made it work but it was a nightmare to install.

I recently swapped for one of these:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...hoCrj0QAvD_BwE

I was nervous about single shear but I've been running it for a couple years now with no issues. The bolt did fall out once but it was immediately apparent in the steering wheel, found the bolt, threw it back in and off we went. Now I check it periodically and of course its never loose

Food for thought, you know since you've already put a bunch of effort into that fancy ass bracket
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019, 05:38 AM   #824 (permalink)

Member # 100050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
That bracket is going to be a royal pain in the ass to get the bolts in. I built something like it years ago when I was determined to get double shear and all 6 bolts in... I made it work but it was a nightmare to install.

I recently swapped for one of these:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/s...hoCrj0QAvD_BwE

I was nervous about single shear but I've been running it for a couple years now with no issues. The bolt did fall out once but it was immediately apparent in the steering wheel, found the bolt, threw it back in and off we went. Now I check it periodically and of course its never loose

Food for thought, you know since you've already put a bunch of effort into that fancy ass bracket
Well hot dang. That would likely give me even more clearance than what I've whipped up too. With the time and money invested in this clamp I feel obligated to see it through to the end, but if I run into bigger issues, it's good to know there's an alternative ready for purchase.

I've thought about the installation a bit. I'll bolt up the heim to this half of the clamp while off the truck. Spin the joint onto the cylinder, then install the cylinder and bolt the clamp to the tie rod. These tabs are on the threaded side of the clamp, so I still have full access to the 6 bolt heads on the other side. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #825 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 141697
cool to see tech on Pirate again

other option for mounting the ram to the tie rod would be buying or making something like the Freddilink that EMF sells. you are running dom steering links so just cut a chunk out and weld it in. yes still single sheer but for assist i wouldnt see it being an issue

https://www.emfrodends.com/collectio...g-adapter-bung

Last edited by snowracer; 07-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.
snowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in