89' F-150 rebuild. - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 41212
Send a message via AIM to zachis4wheeling
Hahahahaha.

The man, the myth, the legend, Bobby Fawkin Walters.

You still bombing around up by Higgins and Houghton in the old six five Rainjuh on 44s?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
no i moved back home to detroit about 5 years ago sort of....

rarely home...mostly wv/oh and now in pa working.

but....yeah. still driving my ranger. actually just brought it home.

its like a baby version of his thing. but more junky. not welcome in pa.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how ya like me now??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #78 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowracer View Post
awesome to see updates on this a almost forgot about it as been so long

The sad thing is, the two major inspirations for this build.. yours and Dunerx's, have both been finished AND parted out, as well as the successors completed..

But honesty, In this time I've also built a 89 bronco on 35's with lockers, worn it out, and swapped the drive train into a 95' 5speed bronco for wheeling/mud racing..

Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywalter View Post
no i moved back home to detroit about 5 years ago sort of....

rarely home...mostly wv/oh and now in pa working.

but....yeah. still driving my ranger. actually just brought it home.

its like a baby version of his thing. but more junky. not welcome in pa.
Oddly enough, about about 4 years ago The night before my wedding,.. We(former classmates of mine) were all drinking my garage, staring at this derelict POS.. And my Buddy/former classmate/housemate, Todd(from TRS) says "hey did I tell you I met BW at a gas station this summer? it was pretty cool" Small world..
Old 04-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #80 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Not much progress today, I cleaned the garage a bit, and finished the exhaust up.. I HATE exhaust work.. I actually thought about turning around my "almost mufflers" t the quiet way, but the sticker said I couldn't, and I always follow the rules..

In other news.... It sounds pretty fawkin' rowdy for a stock big block.. Definitely a fan of headers and 3" also, I expect several pairs of panties hanging on my mailbox tomorrow after lighting it up at 12:30am..

Also the tube clamps from northern tool kick ass for any type of tube work..
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #81 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Also, In other news...

Looking at my pics, I realized how much 1 ton axles suck comparing the rear axle of my wheeler on 40's, to the the ground clearance of the front axle of my commie tractor, with portals AND planetaries, with 40's....

Old 05-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #82 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
that tractor is definitely on my kewl list.

almost mufflers...

thats when i knew i was officially an old guy...when i started to demand too much muffler...

was i in my ranger when i ran into todd? i think i met him more then once...and jhon. i pulled out a bunch of hard core colorado guys with a jeep straggler from the lansing area and was filling up....

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Cheap ass poly bump stops are in, and limit straps are mounted. I really wish I could afford airbumps, but they simply just aren't in the budget, and probably wont be in the future for this build.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #84 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
Looking good Possum... You going to have those cab lights operational on the trip?
I might be inclined to change a few of my busted ones if you are.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Oh they still work, I just need some vintage 1999 K-mart lenses for the two that have been cleaned off on low hanging tree limbs
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #86 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Rough day for chinese tools..

Got the mount for the winch controller welded on, and after I was finished my northern tool 200 mig let out a bang equivalent to a .22 shell. Later in the day it did it again.. I assume two capacitors blew? Still welds fine, but it seems to spatter more?

Started cutting some bar stock for D-rings, and the portaband died.. The spring loop that snaps over the brush holder gave up the ghost.. My ghetto rig repair using solid copper wire and a pen spring is holding so far..
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #87 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Shot some paint on the back, and started cutting some dash panels. I've said it before, the HF electric metal shears kick ass. I also updated the list.. only 5 days left..
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #88 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
You're getting there Possum!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #89 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
The last week before the big trip(I made it, more on that later) was alot of long days and nights, so I'm a bit late getting the pictures up..

I built a pretty simple dash panel for it it to hold the heater controls and switches for the lights, line lock, and sprayer tank, and stuck a factory cluster in it(compromises were made...)

I didn't have a good washer fluid tank for it, and always wanted something that actualy worked for removing mass quantities of mud, so i went the mega truck route, and put a 15 gallon pesticide sprayer in the back, with copper line over the cab. It worked AMAZING, especially on the dusty ass roads were were running. I also put a shut off valve and T in the line, to the hose and wand that came with the pump. Quite a few people remarked at what a great idea it was, and it got alot of use, work cleaning off spots to weld/work on mine, and other peoples rigs on the trail/campground. Best $50 modification on the rig so far, and well worth the weight penalty on a truck thats allready a overweight pig.

I literally got it everything finished up and loaded 10pm the night before were supposed to leave. The tiedowns might have been a bit excessive chaining the axles AND straping the suspension, but I was worried about sway with the soft ass coils and tall trailer.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #90 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
-First trip out with the rig update

Trip started out rather poor.. 30 miles in, I hit the brakes for a stoplight and got deathwobble on the superduty.... I don't drive it much, and this is first time the brakes have been worked hard since hay season last year.. So it should be no suprise that the front drivers caliper stuck and warped the rotor. I limped it another 8 miles down the highway to a buddies, tore it down, and $250 later it had two new calipers, a rotor, and pads. Aside from that, it handled the load pretty good for a rusted out ol' 7.3 with 437K on it. 10.94mpg running 60-65, and pulled most hills in OD on a 300 mile trip.

Day one of wheeling went well, aside from melting the fuel pump wiring on the exhaust, and the rearend shifting 3" over because one of the upper links unthreaded itself.. Apparently I never tightened the jam nuts..

Day two was a complete disaster, didn't even make it to the first trail when the thing nose dived HARD with a big bang.. and I had no front wheel drive. Apparently when I put the lockright in it 10 years ago, I welded the cross pin in, and the welds broke... and the cross pin fell out while driving to the trail. Cross pin holes in the carrier were pretty tore up, but the locker appeared fine. Spent the whole day riding shotgun in another rig, then ran to a buddies house an hour away to pull a cross pin out of one of his spare 60's, got home at 4am, and fixed it the next morning.

Day three
Wheeled the fuck out it, on one steep ass rock stair step climb the locker started making ungoddly racket... So I did what any reasonable man would do, and hit it again a gear higher, and made it, with the 460 singing a sweet, sweet tune.. later in the day the locker pretty much gave up, and the drivers side slips and bangs any time a moderate load is placed on it, I assume ejecting the cross pin at 15mph did some damage to it I didnt see..
Also demolished the drivers door on a tree, and the roof on the passanger side..

Final thoughts on what I consider a successful first shakedown run...
  • good
  • rear 4 link flexs awesome, and seems to hook pretty decent without any funny unloading, or excessive squat or jacking
  • It climbed everything I tried, and completed every trail until the locker finally gave up
  • the only breakdowns were caused by my own doing, and things what were overlooked on a rig that had a 8 year lapse in the build
  • It drove on the trailer..
  • the bad
  • VERY unhappy with the full hydro, not nearly enough power when bound up at lower rpms. I expected more out of the cardone ford replacement HD saginaw pump
  • front seems stiff, I might soften up the lower springs. It has 200/350 now, might try 200/300
  • The MM 10.5K hydro winch is painfully slow off the powersteering pump(as expected) I definitely need to get my engine drive clutch pump on it
  • front locker is fucked, not sure if i'm going to go full detroit, arb, or e-locker..
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
It was an awesome trip, super glad you could make it!
Let's not wait another 10 years before wheeling together again.
And that EFI 460 is surprisingly loud...
Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 213911
What is the wheelbase on it?
ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #93 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfist View Post
What is the wheelbase on it?

122"

Also, I tore into the front diff, and the lockright looks fine, I think cross pin hole being extremely slopped out is the issue, allowing the drivers side to disengage.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #94 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod-13 View Post
122"

Also, I tore into the front diff, and the lockright looks fine, I think cross pin hole being extremely slopped out is the issue, allowing the drivers side to disengage.
You think the lock right has been compromised at all from the "slipping" it was doing? It may not be noticeable to the eye, but I wonder.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #95 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Quote:
Originally Posted by landen300 View Post
You think the lock right has been compromised at all from the "slipping" it was doing? It may not be noticeable to the eye, but I wonder.

the teeth have a bit more wear on that side, but its barely noticeable.. I have a spare one for parts anyways.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #96 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
I finally got around to putting a gauge on the power steering pump, it only makes 1300 psi... Hopefully the west texas mod will bump it up a hair

Fwiw, I'm running the cardone 20-6244, out of production sagniaw replacement pump.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #97 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
I finally got around to putting a gauge on the power steering pump, it only makes 1300 psi... Hopefully the west texas mod will bump it up a hair

Fwiw, I'm running the cardone 20-6244, out of production sagniaw replacement pump.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
west texas mod is done..

orifice drilled to 5/32, and the banjo adpater fitting was drilled to 3/16's, spring stretched to 2-1/4" and the nut was bottomed out with no shims.

Pressure went from 1300 to 1500psi, I haven't wheeled it but it has to help.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #99 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Small updates..

I ordered a 1800psi 4.5gpm power steering pump for a ford f-53(see my other thread), hoping for awesome results...

Also finally got around to changing out my fucked carrier... As you can see, the cross pin had a good 1/4" of play around it, apparently when they eject the cross pin, they do some fawkin damage.. Note to self, never, ever weld a cross pin in again...

Teeth on the locker have some wear, but not bad, but there is some distortion on the edge of the pin slot.. It should be good to go...

I was also cursing myself for mounting the ram too far back to get the carrier out.. but then was grateful that I mounted the ram mount far enough ahead to get it out after pulling the cylinder..
Attached Images

Last edited by Jrod-13; 06-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #100 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Front end is back together, and I did some front wheel drive burnouts with it to test the locker.. so far so good.. Hoping to get the F53 pump on it sometime this month, and get some testing in.
Also a few friends have convinced me to drag this POS out to moab this fall, so I guess I'll see what it does in pritchette canyon.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in