Rangerrod 2.0 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Well since I moved my steering box on the outside of the frame my trackbar just needed to get alot longer. So I drew up some templates out of card board and built a trackbar bracket that moved the mounting location over in front of the passenger coil spring.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Also got to plug some vendors Ruff stuff for the heims for the track bar and swag offroad for radius tool for my plasma cutter sweet tool. Also got a tapered reamerfor 1 ton chevy tierod ends and a pitman arm for toyota to ream out. Still got to get my draglink tapped for tie rod ends. and that should button up the front axle.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I got it sitting on its own weight brackets burned in I know the axle bracket is a little ugly but it isnt going to break. My next project is to get the tranny rebuilt in the next couple of weeks and transfercases installed again. Yes I know none of the bolts are tight with cotter pins.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Hey man lookin good. Hey I still have my bald 37's if you want to use them for mock up. I just can't look at that beautiful work sitting on 28" tires. Lol. Hit me up.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorunna View Post
Hey man lookin good. Hey I still have my bald 37's if you want to use them for mock up. I just can't look at that beautiful work sitting on 28" tires. Lol. Hit me up.
I know its a little depressing having 2k spent on tires and no idea when Im going to recieve them but the 28s will still be on it to get it into the garage. But thanks for the offer Ill send you some pics of browns camp this weekend too, I dont have the fancy camera though.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Subscribed for the clean fab work and for ideas to finish my bed... looking forward to more updates...

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
Subscribed for the clean fab work and for ideas to finish my bed... looking forward to more updates...
Thanks I'm real happy with how the flatbed turned out I built it in my head 10 times before I ever bent a piece of tube though. I'm least happy with how the tranny tunnel turned out and after it's on the road I may redo it . The good thing about these forums is you learn how to skin a cat a 100 diffrent ways
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
You've really got me thinking about buying a set of dimple dies now... Where'd you get yours? What thickness steel can you dimple?

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
You've really got me thinking about buying a set of dimple dies now... Where'd you get yours? What thickness steel can you dimple?
Got mine here on this board from mosley machine. I don't know how thick they can do witha press pretty thick I would imagine. I've done 3/16 with my vise or a nit and bolt with an impact. I figured I would try them on my skid plate rather than doing 1/4 plate to save some weight we'll see if it gets screwed up I'll plate over it.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 87850
You probably know this but I just wanted to share some of my suspension building hard knocks I've learned along the way.

I was looking at your front suspension and your track bar and drag link angles seem a little steep. It's good that they stay paralell to each other but at those angle's you might get some bump steer while running down the road. If you were able to lower the ride hight some, or get them closer a to horizontal angle, this would help to eliminate any bump steer.

When I straight axled my s-10 Blazer I had similar angles. It was a little scary on the road (bump steer) and when at slow speeds and making a hard turn depending on witch way I was turning it would lift or lower the front end instead of wanting to turn. I finally cut all the brackets off and started over. It sucked but the end result was a much better and way less scary ride.

Hope this helps, Good luck. Wish I could make it to TSF on Sat.

Last edited by phorunna; 08-15-2011 at 08:15 AM.
phorunna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I was wondering about that but I've been working on this thing off and on for 8 years so I'm going to run what I brung. If it sucks it's only high steer and a bracket change on the frame to fix. Or it will just push me to put a 60 in any ways. I'm sure there will be bugs to work out.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Rod....Luke heppin' ya'? Lets go break yer' junk. One pic shows Lukes Heep w/weirdo "airplane" fenders. Lukes an excellent guy to have in your corner.
Big79'Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #38 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big79'Terry View Post
Rod....Luke heppin' ya'? Lets go break yer' junk. One pic shows Lukes Heep w/weirdo "airplane" fenders. Lukes an excellent guy to have in your corner.
Hey Terry this is my other project besides my jeep. Plan on going to browns camp sat if you want to tag along you could always see what the rocks are all about. Unless the bronco can't handle it
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Hey Terry this is my other project besides my jeep. Plan on going to browns camp sat if you want to tag along you could always see what the rocks are all about. Unless the bronco can't handle it
Coolio....I just picked up a 92' Ranger 2x2 w/leaking head gasket, rest of it is PRIMO.Seriously considering putting Ranger body on Big-B' frame/drivetrain.500 HP Ranger on tons any one?

We(my beautiful olive skinned wife Marci &I) would love to tackle TSF w/knowledgeable trail guys! You can then school me on why 85 HP is better than a bunch. I haven't been down there for like 3 decades since racin'/ridin' dirt bikes in the 80's.
You boys will have to get w/us for fun @RedNeck Proving grounds Top Secret location.

PM me your location & we'll come by to shoot the shiat.

Last edited by Big79'Terry; 12-15-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Finally!!! Got 75% of my tires here. I just happened to call today and what do you know 4wheel parts had them. I believe they didnt call because they were using them for mock up on another project. So tomorrow my newly unemoployed ass will mount the 3 that I have. Pics show them next too old style 37 mts over 4 inches taller.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #41 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I got them on they measure 39 11/16 with weight on them. My 16 month old son gave me a hand.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Big thumbs up! That thing looks great! Amazing what wheels and tires will do. I know you have been waiting along time to get it to this point. Congrats man
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorunna View Post
Big thumbs up! That thing looks great! Amazing what wheels and tires will do. I know you have been waiting along time to get it to this point. Congrats man
Yeah only 75% of the tires but it's nice too see how it will look. Still alittle tall should settle and don't have the tranny in yet should get it back next week. I know now after pickin up thos heavy fuckers that this front doesn't have a chance. So I'll start lookin for a 60 this winter.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Talk about a long time coming the story of this tranny and its rebuild. Goes something like this bought at a swap meet took it to a guy to rebuild sat at his house for a year. So I went and got it and used it for mock up. Built tranny mounts installed dual cases etc. Took it to another guy to get it rebuilt 3weeks ago he say you know I think its a c5. So long story short lots of hours on the internet researching to try to figure out what I need to do.
So what Ive got is:

c5 case
6 pinion planteary
reverse manual valve body
large tranny pan
new torque converter
tci 157 tooth flexplate 50oz

Problem is now all my tranny mounts are 1/2 inch too far back because the bellhousing I used for mock up is a c5 and I have to use a c4 bellhousing. So Ive got some shit to do.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Having seen these tires up close & personal they are indeed the Shiznit! Who woulda' thought? Not me. These 40" tires are almost the exact same height as my "43" SX. We'll find out later tonight, Rod has graciously agreed to finish cage work for the 51 yr. old semi-crippled, fat handsome sneaky guy.. Thanks Mr.SkyWalker.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Big terrys hunk got the cage finished. Figured Id post some pics its a pre-bent cage I added gussets and roof bars and tied to the frame.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I got something done on my truck between rollcages and bumpers for friends.
Transmission and transfercases are in moved 1/2 inch forward cut all the mounts off and welded them back in. Now the tunnel in the truck is the fab project Im least happy with. Once it gets on the road my buddy whos a sheet metal worker might be repaying me a favor and helping me redo it.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Heres the skid painted and in the front of it hangs down a little and is a little long. Im hoping I can get the exhaust ran right through here and run a tube from the front of this to the engine crossmember to protect the exhaust and oil pan. We will see might be getting changed. The front part of this crossmember is removable for transmission service.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #50 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I havn't gotten a whole lot done just tedious wiring. I had to sit down with an ohm meter and test each wire to figure out its function. So as of now Ill have power windows door locks and delayed wipers. Heres some picks of the install. Got the engine harness routed in and 5 wires to hook up 2 being grounds not much to see there. Also have a small bundle of wires to hook up when I get guages.

Tomorrow I"ll go get fuel lines made and maybe some of my brakeline stuff.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in