TRC-79 bronco build thread - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 72040
I've been watching this build from the start and it just keeps getting better and better. I'm also building a bronco and look forward to your updates, cant wait to see how you build your rear shock hoop. keep up the good work.
FE Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 199899
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.r.c View Post
-Those baby heims were left over from my Dad's days in the Air Force... unfortunantly the prop planes he was working on are long fazed-out, so finding them nowadays may prove to be difficult

Just remember who's been helping with this project junior.......you better talk nice about your "ancient - old man"
Bentbronko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Man View Post
I've been watching this build from the start and it just keeps getting better and better. I'm also building a bronco and look forward to your updates, cant wait to see how you build your rear shock hoop. keep up the good work.
Thanks! glad to know someone's fallowing along.

Here's what I came up with for a rear shock hoop, it bolts to the outside of the frame and pushes the shock mounts up to about 1/2" below the rear floor. It has a 'weld-in' disconnect in the middle, so you can unbolt it and remove/instal in in two sections.

Well FINALLY, I drove the Bronco! Took a little test and tune to get all the tranny shift linkage to work smoothly, but it drives awesome. zero vibrations and tracks perfectly down the road. It's open-manifolds now but I should be able to get exhaust friday or monday so I can drive it more then a few miles before I go completely deaf

And here it is done(for now) with my other Bronco

and some articulation shots

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by t.r.c; 03-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
t.r.c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 135803
A couple more

just up the road from my house

Last edited by t.r.c; 05-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #105 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Looks really good glad to see its done.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 210642
Jegs carries those baby joints in stock, not to expensive.... Mine are aircraft surplus also but I found them at Jegs too.

Last edited by benjaminshaw80; 05-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
benjaminshaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 156216
jealous. Wish I had shit like that in high school! Half doors are definitely unique, I've seen a few tube doors made for the F150's and broncos but never a stock set of doors cut down like that. Around here in the rust belt, rust free doors are so hard to find no one wants to cut them up.

As for your axle choice, I wouldn't ever run a sterling again on anything that didn't come with one in it. I had one to put under my truck and parts were so damn expensive for em. decided just to keep my 9" since you can basically upgrade it indefinitely in strength.

Do they not use road salt in oregon?? both those trucks look pristine.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Looks really good glad to see its done.
Thanks, it feels good to finally drive it down the road. I have a trip planned for Browns Camp and Sand lake on memorial day weekend, so we'll see how it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasteranger View Post
jealous. Wish I had shit like that in high school! Half doors are definitely unique, I've seen a few tube doors made for the F150's and broncos but never a stock set of doors cut down like that. Around here in the rust belt, rust free doors are so hard to find no one wants to cut them up.

As for your axle choice, I wouldn't ever run a sterling again on anything that didn't come with one in it. I had one to put under my truck and parts were so damn expensive for em. decided just to keep my 9" since you can basically upgrade it indefinitely in strength.

Do they not use road salt in oregon?? both those trucks look pristine.
Thank you, I feel pretty blessed to have the shop combined with my Dad and Jim Coles know-how. I physically did most of the work on this, but they helped me tremendously instruction-wise.

As for the rear end choice, I personally think the "superduty axles" will become more and more popular choices in swaps due to thier availiblity and cheapness, so hopefully the prices for parts themselves will eventually lower aswell. But honestly I dont plan on swapping gears/lockers etc very often so the prices arent a huge concern.

Oregon doesnt salt the roads, atleast around here, they just lay down alot of gravel when it does snow. But the two Bronco's do have a little rust, the black one sat for 10 years in the PNW so it has some floor rust in a couple places where the seals werent up to snuff. and the Brown one is actually rust free inside, but it has some surface rust on the outside where the paint came off.

I fab'ed this up this weekend while I was waiting on the exhaust, its a Jerry Can /Tool Box mount for the rear of the bronco.

So far it seams to be working pretty well, no rattles or anything.

The only issue I have found with this suspension setup is we dont have tall enough stumps

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Well I took it out to Browns Camp this weekend, and it did awesome. Ran a few black diamond trails and never had to hook up a strap or pull cable

Unfortunately all my videos/pictures were on my GoPro, which somebody stole out of my truck this weekend So I don't have any yet, I'm hoping my buddy took some of my rig too.

After Browns Camp I headed down to Sand Lake, and it did equally as well there, took the whoops at speed smoothly, went up all the dunes in 2wd and even caught some air I have a bunch of videos I'll try and get to upload, but heres a couple pictures.

I hit this jump around 10 times without issue, landed pretty smooth for a 1ton pig

how you park when you haven't finished your E-brake setup...

And like I said, I have a lot of videos to upload so i'll get them on here soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Heres some of the Video's we got on my camera, should be more coming... it'd be awesome if somebody could embed these for me

Bronco Jump at Sandlake - YouTube

Bronco at Sandlake - YouTube

bowl jump.AVI - YouTube

Sandlake 5/27/12 - YouTube

Last edited by t.r.c; 05-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 199899
Proud of ya bud! Rig came out really, really well! Lots of hard work payed off.
Bentbronko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 123984
Thank you for the effort in documenting the build......

It's awesome!
jsm11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 158308
What's the latest on this? Have you done anything to it?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 135803
I haven't made any progress on the bronco unfortunately, I've been stationed in Japan for the last 2 years or so.

figured I'd share some of the vehicles I've had out here in Japan

My 93' twin-turbo rotary powered RX-7

My 96' 660cc turbo charged Suzuki "Jimny"

And of course my 1985 F15C

Looks like I may be back in America next year so it's time to start gathering parts for a BBF stroker build!

Last edited by t.r.c; 10-11-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 120478
So whats faster the RX7 or the jet?
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 120446
Nice Eagle, I'm a Viper crew chief myself. I work mostly block 40's and 50's these days. I see a nice block 50 behind your bird there.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Nice to see a fellow crew chief on here Cajunrebel

My time in Japan is coming to an end, my new assignment is near Boise Idaho so i'll be taking the Bronco with me. My father was nice enough to pull the 429 out for me and asses the damage...

As you can see the block is garbage now, time to make a coffee table out of it

I'm starting to order a list of BBF go-fast-goodies, hopefully when i'm on leave in April I can throw everything together and drive it to Idaho.

The build will go something like this...

-Lunati Voodoo forged 4340 crankshaft (4.5 stroke)
-Lunati Voodoo forged 4340 H-beam connecting rods with ARP 2000 bolts
-Diamond Racing forged pistons (.030 bore w/Cobra Jet valve reliefs)
-Diamond Racing file fit plasma moly rings
-King HP/XP bearings
-Ford Super Cobra Jet aluminum heads w/ bowl blending
-Lunati roller rockers
-Lunati solid flat tappet cam/lifters
-High Flow Dynamics Street/Strip oil pump
-Weiand Stealth SCJ intake
-L&L 3/4 length headers matched to SCJ ports
-Lunati 9-key billet timing set
-Full MSD igntion (pro-billet dizzy/6AL/coil/wires)
-11:1 compression

Comes out to be a 545ci stroker, should make quite a bit of grunt...

-4 Core aluminum radiator w/ electric fans
-Full manual Valve body for the C6
-Hilduff "Stick Shifter"

And if the move doesn't eat up to much of my fun budget I should be getting some 39.5 Irok Radials as well...

The only thing i'm undecided on is the Carb. I'd love to run the truck avenger series for their offroad characteristics, however 770 CFM wont be enough for this thirsty motor. I'm contemplating going with a Holley HP 4150 Series Stage 2 1000cfm Carb from "Performance Carb and Speed". $800 for an offroad oriented carb built for my engine seams like a pretty decent deal.

Last edited by t.r.c; 12-25-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 135803
A little update, all the engine parts have been ordered and the blocks at the machine shop. I also ordered some more goodies...

40x17x13.5 Mtr Kevlars
Walker Evans beadlocks 3.5" backspacing
AutoFab 3" bulge Fiberglass front fenders
4" bulge Fiberglass rear quarters
Deaver H57 leaf pack
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 233198
I feel like I recognize this bronco very well.....didn't know you had a thread on here. I have my crew on here as well. There are some exciting things coming in the motor department on mine as well.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 233198
Also wonder where those Deavers came from...haha
Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #121 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.r.c View Post
A little update, all the engine parts have been ordered and the blocks at the machine shop. I also ordered some more goodies...

40x17x13.5 Mtr Kevlars
Walker Evans beadlocks 3.5" backspacing
AutoFab 3" bulge Fiberglass front fenders
4" bulge Fiberglass rear quarters
Deaver H57 leaf pack
Fiberglass means pavement pounder. Oh well I'm looking forward to it. And you know 42's aren't that much more. Just saying. We need some pics too.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 135803
I find myself enjoying the dunes/desert more and more, and my new assignment is 2 hrs from the dunes and surrounded by desert so my build is reflecting that I suppose. My plan is Bypass shocks in the rear with H57 Deavers/limit straps/Hydro bumps, And coilovers/Hydro bumps in front. I want it to sit as low as possible on the 40's and cycle some decent numbers (16"-18" travel). The glass has a 3" larger wheel opening which allows me to stuff the tires and keep the law man off me, it gets old getting pulled over once a month for fender flares/mud flaps etc.

I have an idea I've been bouncing around, cutting the quarters off a donor bronco the same dimensions as the glass, so when I go on trails I can throw them on and save the glass.

RANGERROD how do you like the Mtrs's? Come April you'll get a ton of pictures, untill then im still stuck on a little island in Japan...

Last edited by t.r.c; 02-07-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #123 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Once a month for fender flares that's nothing. 300 miles on my truck I've been pulled over 12 times!

Compared to the old Mtrs I don't like them as much. They chunk out easier. They hook up in the rocks probably better. Snow if it's wet they hook up awesome dry sugar snow forget it I can't make any forward progress even less than a foot with it aired down both lockers. Sand is probably the same they don't squat as much as my og Mtrs. My old Mtrs that were on my cj were 80-90% with 10k plus on them they work awesome. These I'm don't think I could get 5k out of the the way their wearing. But most my miles now are offroad where my cj it got a lit of street miles.

Im going to take a hard look at the nitto trail grapplers for my cj next year just not sure how they do in he snow. Or maybe radial iroks.

Last edited by RANGERROD; 02-07-2015 at 09:35 PM.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Once a month if I drive the back-roads to work! Columbia county sure does have a hard-on for lifted trucks...

I like the look of the trail grapplers and from what i've read they perform pretty well, they could be a tire for me down the road as well. I went back and forth between the Mtr's and radial Iroks. Where i'll be at in Idaho is mostly desert/rocks/snow so I think the Mtr's should work well.

Theres some FoMoCo goodies showing up at home stateside

Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Well after 2 years i'm finally back home! It felt like Christmas came early this year coming home to a shop full of boxes... the Bronco was looking pretty rough, after sitting 2 years in the PNW. I took a pressure washer to it and knocked the moss off.

then I started the tear down for new fenders/paint

I couldnt help myself, had to mock up the front fenders too see how it looks. should look good on 40's with 2"-3" or so less lift.

Then we laid out the plans for the rear quarters, and cut the stock quarters up... no turning back now!

Then I worked on porting/gasket matching the Super Cobra Jet heads

then mocked up the heads and cycled it with an adjustable pushrod to get the pushrod lengths.

and a picture of the carnage from the old motor...

Should have the motor stuffed this weekend, and fired up next weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in