Fordyce Dam Water Release - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Fordyce Dam Water Release

I talked to PG&E today and they said the water release will stay pretty much status quo for at least a week (300 cfs) but that there could be fluctuations anywhere from 200 cfs to 400 cfs. There is a new manager for the Fordyce dam and it's sounds like he might be hedging his bet a bit. Then again, the water crossings this time of year are always hard to predict. Remember, snow melt can radically change the amount of water coming down the river. Especially in the afternoon. I don't know how much snow is up there now but keep it in mind.

So if you go, take care when crossing the river. What's crossable in the morning may not be what you see when you get back or to the next crossing.

Don't plan on a day trip. If you get stranded inbetween crossings BE PREPARED to spend a night or more. There is no such thing as a day trip on Fordyce!!

As always, use your head when attempting to cross and know where the proper lines are.

California 4 Wheel Drive Association
American Motorcyclist Association
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Don't plan on a day trip. If you get stranded inbetween crossings BE PREPARED to spend a night or more. There is no such thing as a day trip on Fordyce!!

As always, use your head when attempting to cross and know where the proper lines are.

all too true

lines can and do change during the run off season. dont assume that what worked last year will be 100% the same this year

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and some

I miss my

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 139150
what is the maximum advised amount listed on 'dreamflows' before a traveler should seriously not consider crossing? say if you have a rig on a certain size tire your ok. say you are running a jeep with 33's then you shouldn't attempt it if the dreamfow is listed at above ?, if your a fullsize on 40's you shouldn't attempt it above ?

again, i read about the blue FJ, dont want to be that guy and i cant seem to find consistant data on this. one guy says this, another says this.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840560

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA,
and some

I miss my

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 33065
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
what is the maximum advised amount listed on 'dreamflows' before a traveler should seriously not consider crossing?
There is no good answer which is why you have not found one. Lots of things need to be considered.

CFM out of the Dam, snow run off, Knowing were the deep holes are and going around them, air intake on rig, computer and electrical on rig, driving ability through water (knowing when to hit the gas and when not to).

An experienced person on 35's with a well-built rig might cross at 300 cfm when a person with a rig on 40's will not go through above 250 cfm.

There are some of us who have crossed at crazy high cfm's and made it through but will probably never try again. If you are going to cross know the correct lines and have a plan "B" if you get stuck in the middle.

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
very good answer from JDunn. IMO if you haven't crossed the river before and are going for the 1st time, sticking to 150 and below is a good start so you can learn the lines.

Best option is to go at Sierra Trek for a first timer.
Ratz Racing #4821

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks

Last edited by RCKRATZ; 06-22-2012 at 02:41 PM.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8964
a guy on 40s wont go through above 250? is it gonna float away? i dont get it
scmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Send a message via ICQ to Sillyneck
I'm on 42's, experienced, etc and I won't cross over 250.

1) The rig is still pretty low
2) Motor is spendy
3) efi computer is made of unobtanium
4) spendy stereo

That's about it. Yeah it's been okay in the past with less of a rig, but won't do it with the current 4 wheeled inventment. Personal choice for me. Not fear.

4457 Team DMR
Poly Performance
Ruffstuff
Barnes Welding Supply Sacramento
RADFLO
Shock tuning..... I only work with underdogs.
Sillyneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
I crossed in a 89' toyota with 35's on memorial day about 1ish andf it was running 320cf not good and don't recommend it to the inexperianced but I was running with a group of guys that knew what they where doing

edit; this was at the first crossing, the next day we went to commity and it was at 320 to 340 and we said no way
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 111580
I say as long as you watch someone else cross 300 is fine. I drive a yote on 38s but I am SLAMMED and have crossed over 350 with no issues. Ive seen rigs drown too. But as long as you keep a bit of momentimum and follow another rig you should be fine. The first 3 are basic, stay towards the rapids. Committee gets strange so pay attention.
dragrcr65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmb View Post
My buddies Yota took water into the engine in the middle of the rapids at 250. With the full doors the rig started to move down river, luckily we were able to get a winch line on it pretty quick. When water is moving that fast you need to be prepared for anything.

Crossing at high flows gets taken for granted sometimes imo. Sure if everything goes ok its no problem, but if something did go wrong in the middle it could get bad very fast.
Ratz Racing #4821

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks

Last edited by RCKRATZ; 06-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 139150
went through this weekend following a guy that had gone through several times before and my passenger had been through several times before. it is good advice to have a guide for the first couple times out. there is alot to know about what is under that water.

camped just below WH1 first night by the river - would like to know what yahoos decided to try and wake us up at 1 am. stopped thier rigs on the trail across from where we camped by the river. if you see this thanks for leaving all the beercans you fucktards. ya we cleaned up your mess. other than that it was epic wheeling! went up WH1 during the light rain in the AM, made for some severe pucker factor. my new sig pic is at top of WH1 with LF wheel 6 feet in the air. made it all the way through by the end of the day and camped at Meadow lake. overall good times, other than picking up even more of the aformentioned groups cans all over the trail. fresh cans, same brand/type as found at our first camp.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 33065
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmb View Post
My post was a guideline and in my opinion is a safe rule of thumb. Every rig and driver is different. I'm on 39.5's running propane so I have no computer. I just need to keep my air cleaner dry. My rig is low (I can pull in my garage with 15 psi and clear by 4"). Max I'll cross is 400 cfm but I highly don't suggest it to most and never do it alone. I have crossed at over 500 and will never do it again...

It's like towing a trailer. The manufacturer will tell you the truck will pull 5,000 lbs. That is the "Safe" pulling weight. Sure it will pull 7,500 but after 5,000 you are making the decision it's "safe".

I will go on record, it is safe to cross at 25 cfm.

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in