Tahoe National Forest JK - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Tahoe National Forest JK

I picked up the Tahoe Nation Forest JK yesterday in Nevada City and delivered it to Blacksheep Off Road in Georgetown for some additional work.

The JK is already nicely set up with a Terraflex 4" long arm lift, 35" Wrangler Kevlars and a rear bumper and rack system.

Blacksheep will be installing a skid plate system, rocker protection, front bumper and winch.

Contact Nick Cimmarusti for your installation and fabrication needs in the Georgtown area and beyond @ 530-334-4202

If you would like to donate to help equip the Jeep contact me.

[email protected]

Donations will be run through the Friends of Fordyce and are tax deductable.

The Jeep is in need of recovery equipment (snatch block, strap, tree saver,) a CB radio system, and a winshield roll bar kit. Cash donations will also be accepted.

Here is the Jeep as it now sits. I'll post pics after the additional work is done.
Attached Images

California 4 Wheel Drive Association
American Motorcyclist Association
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21358
This vehicle will allow the TNF rangers to reach further into the trail and help preserve it for us all to enjoy. By being more mobile in the rough stuff they will be able to better understand and help us to repair and maintain the trail. In addition, we should be seeing sanitation help in the form of free wag bags and collection points appearing soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Is this a Leo vehicle?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
The dude abides

Member # 114517
So the Forest Ranger is putting the old XR200 to rest?I imagine he would be the Ranger driving the JK.He's been around that area for years.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 167807
Awesome sOon the trail can. BE patrolled just like the rubicon

Last edited by chainrnng; 06-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.
chainrnng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrnng View Post
Awesome sOon the trail can. BE patrolled just like the rubicon
Yippi!!

NorCal REAL ESTATE BROKER - yes I know you need a shop & RV parking...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRE#01842743

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21358
You know I knew there would be responses like this. I for one don't mind a little enforcement on the trail. All of us here do all the right things anyway so what's the big deal?

That being said this is NOT a LEO vehicle. It will be driven by a forest ranger. Yes, they can ticket but their primary function is not law enforcement. And come on, patrolled like the Con? Get real. Not only is the Fordyce way harder than the Con but who in their right mind would take a single vehicle like that out there?

Of course if this vehicle had the effect of keeping a bunch of thugs from beating some poor guy or keep people from driving in a state where they can't even form words then I'm all for it. If it will keep people from trashing the trail by driving off trail, destroying the environment and leaving oil all over the place then again, I'm all for it.

You may not like enforcement out there and want a situation where you can do whatever you want but violence, drunk driving and environmental damage WILL get the trail closed. Right now these are isolated instances but if the Forest Service ever feels they don't have a handle on the trail and don't have the means to do so the only recourse they have is to restrict usuage. We're way far off from a senario like that right now and steps like supporting a off road patrol vehicle is a way to make sure it never happens.

The ranger that will be trained to drive the JK is really excited to get out there and wheel...just like you and me.

The Tahoe Forest rangers are behind our usage of the trail 100%. I have been involved over at the Con and take my word for it there is not even a hint of the adversarial attitude on Fordyce that there is there. They welcome our help and ask our advice. They give the FOF great latitude while working on the trail.

If you don't agree with this vehicle and it's future use on the trail then fine. Don't support it. Ignore them when you see them. But don't cry about it and bad mouth them.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
The dude abides

Member # 114517
Well said Bret! I just got back from a day run up there,and the trail is clean as could be.If the Tahoe National Forest Ranger wants to wheel,great! He will love the trail so much, he will back our crowd 100%.If this keeps ass jacks off the trail, fine by me.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
The ranger that will be trained to drive the JK is really excited to get out there and wheel...just like you and me.
Sounds like a killer job to me.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 17870
You hit the nail on the head there Bret!

After a while you realize the PIG is enjoying himself

Friends Of Fordyce
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
You hit the nail on the head there Bret!
X2, I'm down with it.

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1280
The only concern I have is the fact that THIS is where it starts, with one "ranger", then one weekend he won't be available and they will send someone else, and since they are not familiar with the trail, they will include 2-3 foot people. Before you know it, base camp is set up, jeep got stuck so they brought in another one and so on...

The LEO's at the con this last weekend were fine. Said hi, told us how much they like it up there, (how could you not) Get paid to be on the Rubicon... but when your driving down the trail at 10pm, and all of a sudden someone in all black pops up at your window out of the bushes and asks all firm, with that tone you hear when you get pulled over... "how's it going guys" as he looks into the vehicle for anything to bust you on... "where are you headed" he asks.. It's just something I don't want to deal with in the middle of nowhere for no reason.

In fact, I look at it as we are in one of the brokest states in the country, -$15B and the money I pay for taxes every year is paying for this? For myself to be regulated? I just think resources could be spent in other ways that would actually help society, rather than an ant trail in the middle of no where. You, me and others have common sense, and when people get out of line, MOST of us will say something to change the behavior. People need to get over this whole, "o it's fine, they are from the government, and the're here to help"....

NorCal REAL ESTATE BROKER - yes I know you need a shop & RV parking...

DRE#01842743

VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 17870
I think the simple answer is don't do anything illegal on the trail and you wont have anything to worry about.

My only concern would be it getting to the point of ridiculous fix it tickets like was rumored to be going on at the Con the last few years. But there are ways to be within the law for those things too. Get Dual registered and fix it tickets for broken tail lights and broken mirrors are a thing of the past.

I think that people who go out on the trail thinking they are in the middle of nowhere therefore they can do anything they want are the problem!

Friends Of Fordyce
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 105212
it is not a chance to do what ever we want, it is really just a day or two for us to not have to stay between the lines. Have a couple beers and still get to see the beauty of the woods that we can not even see from here due to the smog b.s. I do agree that some people can not control themselves but for the most part (99%) we do. We all spend a ton of money on the ability to get away from society and not have to have "the man" looking over our shoulders for a day or two every couple months. Some people only get up there a couple times a year and atleast one of those is to help maintain the trail the othe couple trips is to enjoy getting away from the city life. I will be happy to help out on this Jeep and donate time working on it but, if it every begins to be more than what it is intended for then I will be the first to be on here saying you were told so by many. I have been on the Rubicon for years and I have a few friend that won't even go there anymore so I have come to the Fordyce to get away from the Leo issues just like they have. I would hate to see it happen here also. Don't get me wrong I think they need to patrol for "saftey" purposes" they have the ability to get a chopper in faster than any of us do if something happens.

We need to be sure to police ourslves so there will be no reason for more than this one Jeep being up with us on this beautiful part of earth
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I go years without being stopped and questioned by LEO about "how I'm doing?" or "where am I going?" in town, along the daily course of my life. Why should I be excited or supportive of having to go through that or possibly having to go through that in the middle of no where?

At some point they need to produce revenue to support and justify their wages. I have yet to see anything on the fordyce trail where I thought, "I wish there was law enforcement here."
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssic off road shop View Post
Don't get me wrong I think they need to patrol for "saftey" purposes" they have the ability to get a chopper in faster than any of us do if something happens.
I want to waive the bs flag on this one. Most of the trail has cell phone coverage with nearly every carrier. On top of that, if medical response is that bug of a concern, you need to attend one of John and Barb's HAM classes and become a licensed operator.

It is impractical to expect that one ranger, in one jeep can possibly cover enough of the trail on an average day, or would in the right place at the right time. I also would not support more rangers and more jeeps on the off chance of being able to respond to an emergency. Back country trail users should take some responsibility and take first aid training, carry an adequate kit and be able to contact outside help if THEY need it.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 17870
My experience on the Rubicon over the past few years has been occasionally seeing law-enforcement or rangers (not every trip). And had I not stopped or slowed down to say hi they probably would have never spoke with me. Even when I stopped and talked they never asked any "prying" questions, like "have you been drinking" or "license and registration" or "where are you heading"?

I find it hard to believe that the experience would be much different on Fordyce.

I have always offered cold water to anyone on foot, be it hikers or law enforcement. I consider it a kind gesture knowing that they are limited on how much water they carry and it's rarely cold water. Kind of Pay it forward attitude.

Friends Of Fordyce
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25058
The beginning of the end

I must say that since Bret took over the F-O-F push, he's had his own agenda.
It's kinda like he want's to make a name for himself and that's his priority along w/ his 5 or so personal friends.

I've wheeled that trail before you came along and it was a well kept secret.
Thanks Brett, your publication skillz are awesome, when it's your own agenda.

Wilson, I agree w/ you totally.

This is not about LEO on the trail, it's about our right to the back country, the Sierra Nevada's, Old Man Mountain and Privacy w/o Big Brother w/ binoculars...
Rick Smith

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxhigh country cruiser; 06-03-2012 at 12:33 PM.
xxxxxxxxxhigh country cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 17870
Wow, I don't think you could further off with your assessment of Bret.

If anything I think pirate has brought a lot of attention to fordyce in the last 10 years.

Friends Of Fordyce
Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 25058
Just my opinion

That's my .02 cents worth, I grew up in the area, I think people should leave well enough alone.
I do understand the politics, safe trails, no stupid a-holes causing problems, pack it in pack it out, I get it and I support that.
Just ease up on the PUBLICATION please, it's our TRAIL not Brett's?

I speak for more than just myself, open your ears and listlen and not to (your select group) thanks-Rick Smith

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxhigh country cruiser; 06-03-2012 at 02:47 PM.
xxxxxxxxxhigh country cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
I would not say Bret ever claims fordyce to be his trail. It sounds like we all believe and agree on the way the trail should be, but let's not bring down those who are actively doing something to help keep our trails open. I believe and support what the FOF does, and although I may not like having "big brother" around since I am a marine combat vet and fought for our rights in the recent years, but it is what it is. If there is a personal issue, maybe try the phone and talk personally and not over the Internet. Cheers.

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25058
Well said

Thank you,
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Welcome to the 21st century and the Internet. It overblows everything. There is no place you can really go and get away from it. We have to be careful where ever we go and what ever we do because they are always those that want to shut us down.

We have to be proactive. If we hide our heads in the sand and try to keep the trail a secret it will disappear because of sanitation issues, water purity problems or violence issues.

My own private agenda? Spending a LOT of my time that takes away from time with my kids, my wife who cannot go with me because she takes care of our old sick dog, and the maintenance of my house and property in Georgetown which as anyone up here knows takes a ton of time. How dare you question the reasons I do this.

You think you can better? Be my guest. Come to our next BOD meeting and I will be happy to back you for Director and vote you in as President. You can have control of our massive $4000 treasurey.

I love the Fordyce trail and spend practically all my wheeling time there to the exclusion of enjoying any of the other trails in the Sierras, Nevada and cannot go to Johnnson Valley anymore because I cannot afford to spend the time I do on Fordyce and go there too.

Before you respond with "Oh wow he's really playing the marytr card don't bother. I deal with the Fordyce trail almost every day of my life and what we need to do next to responsibly use it. There is a mudhole developing that needs attention before Trek happens. There is a section of the mudhole reroute that needs work that will take hours of on site work and meetings with the TNF. There is the whole mess with the PGE property Committee reroute and the continued disrespect of the blockades we errect in the name of keeping that route open and PGE from not barring us from using their property. There are the drainage issues on the lower part of the trail. There are the white flowers in areas where people are too lazy to carry it out or bury it. There are the nighttime comps at committee that end with rolls and oil all over the place and we are there to ask them to clean it up. I could go on. I and my "5 or so friends" work hard along with 50 or so others.

"Ease up on the publication." IMHO this is the quickest way to loosing the trail. There are people out the with MILLIONS behind them whose primary purpose is to keep OHV's from despoiling the forest. We cannot afford to lay low and expect them to leave us alone. When they attack we need to be able to say look at what we are doing to responsibly use our trail.

Sorry for the rant. Very emotional for me.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 21358
Must be a good feeling to show up, wheel the trail, do what ever you want and then go home and never give it a second thought until the next time you show up to use the trail.

Rant off.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 167807
trail was awesome this weekend with no leo crews this type of wheeling is headed to days never to come again once we start helping the leo's. They will ruin any environment we help them review.....it will start off as safety concerns and soon become segment and finally red legged frog sightings.....never ending cycle to shut us out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in