Crossing committee 7/1/2017 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
Committee crossing 7/1/2017

It was moving pretty good, chart said 350 cfs
Good thing I brought my Home Depot made snorkel!


https://youtu.be/ljyP6b-oheM

Last edited by brknsht; 07-03-2017 at 10:27 PM.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125922
Location: durham
Posts: 142
Commitee Crossing July 2017.340 cfs

https://youtu.be/din4hIxL0yA
scouttanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by brknsht View Post
It was moving pretty good, chart said 350 cfs
Good thing I brought my Home Depot made snorkel!


https://youtu.be/ljyP6b-oheM
So glad I went in through Medow lake side.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scouttanks View Post
Why were they all trying to go before the guy in front was out of the way?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003

this is the line you should take when its deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMnnzKnuv-o
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Why were they all trying to go before the guy in front was out of the way?
better question is why go through the deepest hole
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 429
Location: Reno NV USA
Posts: 1,199
Because they were concerned for other people down river and wanted to create a dam so the water level would be lower for them...

Jack
__________________
2007 2500hd max/ali with stuff.
2008 FWC Hawk
1985 4Runner 4.3, R151 on tons
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
I went first because I'm pretty well waterproofed. The 4 rigs after me all hooked themselves together because I guess they figured if one guy got screwed they could either back out or tug forward. It didnt work very well as you can see.

I took the deep line because I didn't want to drive up river. It would have pushed me around even more and definitely been coming over the hood.

Good times! Two hydrolocked rigs one completely tacoed rim.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by brknsht View Post

I took the deep line because I didn't want to drive up river. It would have pushed me around even more and definitely been coming over the hood.

fwiw if you take the line i posted video of it works fine going the other way across, i dont have video but we all went back across that same way and all made it just fine, also that red toy is on 37s and doesnt sit very high, and that was at 430cfs. when you cross a fast moving river at an angle youre giving the rushing water angles to flow around you, when you cross straight the entire side of your vehicle is exposed and you get pushed around much more doing it that way, which is why you ended up pushed down into the rock.

good times though thanks for the video
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post

this is the line you should take when its deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMnnzKnuv-o
I took that line going across the first time. You can see the water come over the side of my rig in the deep hole. Definitely didn't want to drive against the current.
Video below

https://youtu.be/aIixA6zzQQE
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by brknsht View Post
I took that line going across the first time. You can see the water come over the side of my rig in the deep hole. Definitely didn't want to drive against the current.
Video below

https://youtu.be/aIixA6zzQQE
too far right fwiw
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
fwiw if you take the line i posted video of it works fine going the other way across, i dont have video but we all went back across that same way and all made it just fine, also that red toy is on 37s and doesnt sit very high, and that was at 430cfs. when you cross a fast moving river at an angle youre giving the rushing water angles to flow around you, when you cross straight the entire side of your vehicle is exposed and you get pushed around much more doing it that way, which is why you ended up pushed down into the rock.

good times though thanks for the video
Ok I'll give that a shot next time for sure. Thanks for the pointers! That's definitely they fastest and highest I've crossed. Chart said 350 or close to it but from watching other videos and talking to a local guy (red fj40 who said he believed it To be closer to 450) probably moving faster.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by brknsht View Post
Ok I'll give that a shot next time for sure. Thanks for the pointers! That's definitely they fastest and highest I've crossed. Chart said 350 or close to it but from watching other videos and talking to a local guy (red fj40 who said he believed it To be closer to 450) probably moving faster.
i agree thats more than 350 with the run off
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God
 
jeepfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19879
Location: Norcal
Posts: 1,743
Wow

Dreamflow now
Attached Images
 
__________________
2016 jk chromo 40s daily, 06 dodge 351/480 efi on meth, 2011 mid engine buggy
jeepfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
Ha! Dropped down to a trickle. I was surprised by how low Fordyce lake was and they were still letting 350 out.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"
 
MochaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6450
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 12,056
Dropping in from Committee between the 2 trees, you need to go 45* left (downstream) once you hit the water. (basically like was said before, more to the left than in the video).
__________________
62 IH Scout, Built to wheel.
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Proper way is to drive up stream at an angle, its supposed to make an air bubble in your engine compartment (not always going to happen with our chopped up rigs) as well as what rockota said about helping the water flow around.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfamily View Post
Dreamflow now
Seems wrong.... Look how perfectly flat the line is.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
Dropping in from Committee between the 2 trees, you need to go 45* left (downstream) once you hit the water. (basically like was said before, more to the left than in the video).
I NEED to go straight and grab second gear. Works great, tons of fun. Ain't no body got time for air bubbles and fancy water flow theory's. Fuggin get it!

No really though watching that other video of the red Yota that line looks tits.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
So was anybody up there yesterday to see the water at 40 cfs?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53528
Location: norcal
Posts: 15,003
less flow means less turbulence/waves hitting the sensor so no up and down readings, im betting thats why its flat, i have no idea but my guess is its not wrong.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
less flow means less turbulence/waves hitting the sensor so no up and down readings, im betting thats why its flat, i have no idea but my guess is its not wrong.
Seems like a big coincidence that it dropped on the 4th, maybe they assumed people would be going up this weekend?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
djelliott916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Member # 134532
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 1,323
Awesome!!

"Thanks for polluting our water with your gear, motor and transmission oil along with all greasable locations douchebags... Lets see what the authorities say about your crossing. Video and channel info has been sent."
djelliott916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
YotaAtieToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25632
Location: Magalia, Jefferson State
Posts: 11,477
Anyone heading up there this weekend? Was thinking about taking my boy up there but can't find anyone else who wants to go.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343769
Posts: 44
I wish I could go back up, I'm curious to see what the flow looks like. Work is a boner blocker.
brknsht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.