Stuck rig- need extraction help - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 859844
Here is the story I am cross posting from Facebook (Nor-Cal 4x4 group page)

Fordyce recovery story time!

Me and Jeffrey Hannah met up with the Mazda's owner and his 2 brothers. Awesome guys, great attitudes, mechanically inclined. I had my 4runner, Jeff in his Chevy, and the brothers in an XJ.

We started on the trail up Fordyce lake Rd to Committee around 830am.

The snow conditions were amazing. It was fresh, cold, crispy snow that seems like sand paper for traction. So operation Mazda Recovery was a go. I led followed by Jeff, then the XJ.

At the top of fordyce summit (7200ft) we estimate that there was roughly 4-5ft of fresh powder. We drove along in 36"+ tire depth snow and never hit dirt. Just plowed right through.

We made it to the top of committee around 10am and started our way down.

About half way down, Jeff blew a bead. We also left the xj at that point, and the brothers hiked the rest of the way (or rode on Jeff's bed or my bumper).

We had to winch up out of the creekbed. Then continued on down the trail at about noon. We got to the Mazda a little after 1pm, between WH2 and the 2nd water crossing. Just before getting to the Mazda, we changed our plans of trying to come in and out committee. And decided to take the Mazda out eagle lakes. So 2 of the brothers went back to the xj to take it back out committee and around to the top of the first river crossing on the eagle lakes side. This way they could be our winch point for coming up that nasty Hill in the snow.

The mazda was in a big, icey puddle, so we first strapped and pulled it out to a slightly less wet spot and got to work. Had some issues getting it to bleed. After 2 hours, finally got the system bled and the truck driving under it's own power. Then the starter died.

By this time it was right around 4pm and was starting to get dark. The decision was finally made to leave the truck for a snow nap. So we cleaned everything up, got the truck off the trail and tucked under a tree so hopefully it won't end up with 15ft of snow on it.

We then left and started heading out towards eagle lakes around 430pm.

Had some anxious moments at wh2, and the big hill at the first river crossing. But nothing winches couldn't handle. Finally made it out to eagle lakes staging area around 830pm.

Meanwhile, the xj broke a front axle and ran out of winching points on the steep hill before the bridge on fordyce lake Rd. So we headed back up to fordyce lake to get them out.

With no winching points, and no where to turn around on the hill, we didn't want to back down the hill to snatch and tow them up. So instead, we put together a bunch of winch line extensions to reach them from the bridge. In all we had 3 extensions, 1 strap, and 1 chain, and then the winches on the XJ and Jeff's Chevy. My guess is around 500-550ft of total line. And it went down and bent around the turn in the hill too. Longest winch I have done so far, but it worked.

Got them up to the bridge, got Jeff's fat ass Chevy turned around with another short winch pull, and headed out to Cisco. Made it back to Cisco Grove at midnight30. It was 26degrees at Cisco (6200 ft elevation).

All in all it was a long, grueling day, but everyone had a great attitude all day no matter what happened. We didn't get the rig out though, and will be going back up once the snow melts to get it out then.

Please DO NOT EVER attempt going to fordyce in the snow. We got lucky with the snow conditions. And we over prepared. Pretty much everyone was in ski gear, had lots of water, multiple forms of communication, SAR knew we were out there, we had all the proper recovery gear and then some. Lots of precautions were taken and plans changed for the sake of safety.

With that said, Jeff got some good pictures, and I got a couple as well.

If you end up on fordyce before the snow melts for whatever reason, please leave the truck alone.

There are some good pictures from the day on the thread. Go check them out.

Extracting the vehicle can be done. It will need to be dead pulled all the way out though. So shafts will need to be pulled. We got the clutch working (kind of), and then it locked back up again... and then the starter died. We spent too much time working on trying to get it to run under its own power, that we ran out of time to be able to tow it out. We were prepared to stay over night, but really didn't want to.

It looks like there will be a 2nd attempt to get it out this coming up weekend, and this plan will be to take 2 days and dead drag it off the trail. I will not be attending this one unfortunately. But I will try and give another update on it after the weekend if Operation Mazda ends up getting completed.
Myoffroadradio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 203479
It sounds like Chris Letteer and 6 rigs are gonna attempt to go in Sat morning to get it outta Eagle I won't be able to join the shitshkw as I work both days.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
Is this terrain so bad that it can't be strapped out?
lots of big rocks in the way, and the slippery stuff doesnt help.. It is possible to strap it out with ALOT of HP
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 214685
I’d go in with 3-4 capable rigs, bunch of strap, extra gear, whatever you may need.

Get the party to the truck. Pull shafts from the Mazda, shackle everyone together and dead drag that bitch out.

If you get to a spot that you absolutely have to winch. Unhook, winch one at a time up/through, hook everyone back up and carry on.

A few rigs tied together is gonna be the best bet.

Few years ago myself and a friend were out being ignorant by ourselves. He had a Rubicon TJ on 35s and I had my Cherobuggy on 36s both rigs locked up front and rear. He blew a front shaft and wiped out the balljoint. I ended up shredding a rear shaft trying to dead pull him. We ended up winching him up onto the rear of my cage pulling his front wheels and strapping his axle to my cage, pulled my rear shaft. We got out of a pretty nasty spot with that setup. Granted this was an East Coast scenario, I’m still going to say that a coupe rigs daisy chained together shouldn’t be an issue.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 188882
thats some scary stuff! (for anyone not used to snow wheeling)

call up the crew that helped with glacier girl last year they had the proper setup!

i kind of want to go for the 2nd attempt, but i havnt taken my 4runner in any snow yet, not sure how it will do

what time did they get on the trail?? early bird gets the worm
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Quote:
the xj broke a front axle
I work at a 4x shop in south sac.

Pm me a length and spln count and ill see if i have a shaft for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Not in the Summer but will be a chore.

Dragqueen had to strap out a U4 car from the first creek crossing which is normal 45 minutes to staging, took almost 2.5 hours without 2 feet of snow on the ground.

I have company Saturday otherwise an adventure would be fun.

QUOTE=white-rhino;44202900]Is this terrain so bad that it can't be strapped out?[/QUOTE]
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byro View Post
shackle everyone together
id put a starter in but if that dont work this is key

another idea is take the rear tires off the mazda and hang it off the back of the most capable recovery rig and tow it out in reverse, have someone that knows what theyre doing turning the steering wheel in the mazda to get around turns.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 220897
My .02: That Mazda has to run to help with the recovery. Pulling dead weight up & down, on a trail is frickin' hard and beats the shit out of your rig and the third rig back on a daisy chain is going to get abused. Personally, I think the owner needs to find a small skidsteer and operator to recover the thing or next summer cut it up in pieces and take it out on a trailer. A real bummer for the owner, the truck will most likely be a total loss and have a few thousand dollar recovery bill.
The owner of the KOA camp ground has been running heavy equipment in Tahoe since he was a kid.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 166307
The 3 stuck rigs on the con a few years back, the "group rescued on con"
Now this....

New pbb tradition???
All winter recovery shit show???

There seems to be something amiss here.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 140551
We are going up early sat to get it out. Makes zero sense to leave it there all winter. I’ve dead towed many rigs by myself, so a bunch of us together should be no issue. They just needed bigger rigs in the first place and it would have been out then imo

Last edited by NorCal_Chris; 12-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.
NorCal_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCubed View Post
My .02: That Mazda has to run to help with the recovery. Pulling dead weight up & down, on a trail is frickin' hard and beats the shit out of your rig and the third rig back on a daisy chain is going to get abused. Personally, I think the owner needs to find a small skidsteer and operator to recover the thing or next summer cut it up in pieces and take it out on a trailer. A real bummer for the owner, the truck will most likely be a total loss and have a few thousand dollar recovery bill.
The owner of the KOA camp ground has been running heavy equipment in Tahoe since he was a kid.
a skidsteer? seriously?
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
No way in hell a skid steer would make it in or out of Fordyce.

I would take a big tire, big axled rig any day for dragging a dead rig out.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
I broke a transmission in half at wh1 in a snow storm and we were in camp at Fordyce lake in ~3hrs with a couple big bitches pulling
Ratz Racing #4821

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #65 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Good luck. North reno today we got a solid 5 at 5100.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
a skidsteer? seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
No way in hell a skid steer would make it in or out of Fordyce.

I would take a big tire, big axled rig any day for dragging a dead rig out.

Shhh.....I wanna see this skid steer hitting fordyce!!!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 69199
If the truck is not out this weekend, I could probably be available next!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 220897
What the heck, I said a (small) skid steer Hey guys take a few pics. for us.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
What the heck, I said a (small) skid steer Hey guys take a few pics. for us.
The smaller they are the less stable they are. I'm pretty fearless when I wheel and when on equipment. A skid steer on Fordyce, I wouldn't do.

A gradall with diff locks would actually be fun though
Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Call a logging company. Fuckin log skidder would pull it out with it on its roof.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #71 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKRATZ View Post
I broke a transmission in half at wh1 in a snow storm and we were in camp at Fordyce lake in ~3hrs with a couple big bitches pulling
Good times

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #72 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
If anyone wants to go play...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Any live updates?

I know fordyce had good cell service for att over the summer
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Who let this guy on the trail?

Oh, a lifted ranger on 33s, good to go!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 203479
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Who let this guy on the trail?

Oh, a lifted ranger on 33s, good to go!
My real question is why wait till snow/bad weather

If my shit was a trail tampon..id be high tailin out then back in in immediately either hours later or next morning...not waitin till the white stuff arrives

Last I heard they were at Chevron at 8AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in