Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fordyce Creek (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Fordyce Creek passable? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2684336)

loosebolt 06-25-2019 06:25 AM

Fordyce Creek passable?

Any updates if Fordyce is passable right now or still too much snow?

erictylers1 06-25-2019 06:27 AM

429 Attachment(s)
No. it’s not the snow, it’s the creek crossing(s).

http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.063.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosebolt (Post 44496652)
Any updates if Fordyce is passable right now or still too much snow?

loosebolt 06-25-2019 07:27 AM

Assuming the flow rates come down next week, no snow issues?

Mousejockey 06-25-2019 08:19 AM

No idea, depends on how much snow is left to melt, how fast it melts, how much space is in the res, how much they plan to hang onto, what they are doing with the other storage locations, who is making the decision.......
Way to many variables to even guess. Unless they make an announcement or the flow rates stabilize for several days I dont even think about crossing =)

YotaAtieToo 06-25-2019 08:31 AM

600 at the dam, plus run off along the way? Ya I think it will be a while :laughing:

Coming down from Meadow lake is an option, but having done that either memorial or 4th of July in 2017 it gets boring quick. On the other hand we missed the daisy chain disaster at Committee, so I guess the entertainment was there, we just missed it :laughing:

arickvan 06-25-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44496808)
600 at the dam, plus run off along the way? Ya I think it will be a while :laughing:

Coming down from Meadow lake is an option, but having done that either memorial or 4th of July in 2017 it gets boring quick. On the other hand we missed the daisy chain disaster at Committee, so I guess the entertainment was there, we just missed it :laughing:

meadow lake is still covered in snow btw

from the book of faces, taken this past thursday

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...db&oe=5D8B85D1

dirtyjed 06-25-2019 09:01 AM

The creek is death right now.
Signal Peak still has snow on it.
The gate at Rattlesnake was closed this weekend.
The dirt road in to Meadow still has 8' drifts.

loosebolt 06-25-2019 10:30 AM

Sounds like it may not be looking good....

YotaAtieToo 06-25-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arickvan (Post 44496860)
meadow lake is still covered in snow btw

from the book of faces, taken this past thursday

The snow drifs were actually the most fun part of that trip. Definitely less snow than that but there was still 6-8' drifts in the shade.

rockyota83 06-25-2019 04:55 PM

fordyce creek most likely will not be passable for at least a month, maybe more due to how much snow is up there melting off

fwiw when the snow is melting all the creek crossings besides committee will be much deeper than what dream flows says the creek is at, the farther down stream the more snow melt runs into it making it deeper

erictylers1 06-25-2019 06:57 PM

From Cisco yes, from Eagle Lakes no, with regards to snow.

My guess when dirtyjed went up Sunday they were preventing dumbasses from killing themselves at 1200 CFS. The kayakers aren’t even touching it and they are more crazy than we are X 1000.

Plus no midget strippers or free ammo and beer. (Gonna regret that one.)

Unless it drops to <300, it’s not happening, and even then, that’s at the dam.

I have a couple of tank sets to look at Friday (make my own schedule haha) and I’ll cruise up Rattlesnake for shits and grins and throw some lures at Long Valley Res.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosebolt (Post 44496732)

dirtyjed 06-25-2019 08:29 PM

I think the gate was closed keep people from tearing up the road too much. It's gotta be a sloppy mud/snow fest right now.
I'm probably gonna try this Sunday.

RCKRATZ 06-25-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosebolt (Post 44496732)

Doubtful the flow is down. Runoff is at a high so the flow will be up for at least a month imo

erictylers1 06-26-2019 12:17 AM

429 Attachment(s)
I’ll check Rattlesnake weekly for the next month. Committe probably won’t be crossable until after the second week of July at the soonest, realistically August. Maybe the rain will hold out until November so we all can go a couple times.

xdaltonx 06-26-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44496808)
600 at the dam, plus run off along the way? Ya I think it will be a while <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:-)</a>

Coming down from Meadow lake is an option, but having done that either memorial or 4th of July in 2017 it gets boring quick. On the other hand we missed the daisy chain disaster at Committee, so I guess the entertainment was there, we just missed it <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:-)</a>

Ive only gone in from meadow, down to the crossing just after committee, then turned around and ran back up to meadow, the portion of trail i didnt run that good or?

Rock Dog 06-26-2019 04:44 PM

I have an inquiry into the Forest Service, but when i last chatted with them (like a month or so ago), PG&E is planning maintenance on the dam at Fordyce Lake this summer/early fall and will be hardening Rattlesnake Rd once its free of snow to bring their heavy equipment in. The indication was to expect high flows except for the week of Sierra Trek until the lake level is down to the point where they can do their work.

YotaAtieToo 06-26-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdaltonx (Post 44499078)
Ive only gone in from meadow, down to the crossing just after committee, then turned around and ran back up to meadow, the portion of trail i didnt run that good or?

Depends on your rig, we were in trail rigs, so wh1 would have been fun. There is some fun stuff on the other side of Committee also. Imo, the whole trail is good, I just didn't like being stuck on only one section.

YotaAtieToo 06-26-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Dog (Post 44499198)
I have an inquiry into the Forest Service, but when i last chatted with them (like a month or so ago), PG&E is planning maintenance on the dam at Fordyce Lake this summer/early fall and will be hardening Rattlesnake Rd once its free of snow to bring their heavy equipment in. The indication was to expect high flows except for the week of Sierra Trek until the lake level is down to the point where they can do their work.

Hmmm, I wonder who is doing the project? I'd kill to be on that one.

So I texted a buddy from a company I used to work for, that's does a lot of hydro dam work for pg&e. Sure enough they are doing it and he's the project manager for it. Unfortunately, they won't need any operators :(

Rock Dog 07-01-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Dog (Post 44499198)

Ok, so I talked to the forest service guys. They haven't been in anywhere on Fordyce and had zero updates.

However...

One of our Madhatter guys went in thru Meadow with a buddy and ran the trail from WH5 to past WH2, clearing downed trees (like 15+ of them) and assessing the general condition. Things look pretty good on the trail itself. They were able to make the two water crossings before and after WH2. Committee was very high and not passable (they had 42s and at 500cfs it was way too much).

The road into Meadow Lake still had 6-10ft drifts on it but they were obviously able to wheel it. Plenty of snow still at Meadow itself.

miguelitojeep 07-01-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Dog (Post 44505166)
Ok, so I talked to the forest service guys. They haven't been in anywhere on Fordyce and had zero updates.

However...

One of our Madhatter guys went in thru Meadow with a buddy and ran the trail from WH5 to past WH2, clearing downed trees (like 15+ of them) and assessing the general condition. Things look pretty good on the trail itself. They were able to make the two water crossings before and after WH2. Committee was very high and not passable (they had 42s and at 500cfs it was way too much).

The road into Meadow Lake still had 6-10ft drifts on it but they were obviously able to wheel it. Plenty of snow still at Meadow itself.

Thank you for the update! We have a group looking to run up the trail first weekend in August, hopefully we don't have to change plans.

YotaAtieToo 07-06-2019 03:18 PM

Anyone up there right now? Curious how much snow is left? I've been up near 7k feet in our hill the past few days and there was less than I expected.

dirtyjed 07-06-2019 03:55 PM

There's a group on FB that is getting rescued out today. Sounds like they killed 2/3 rigs and spent the night at CC2.

Had a couple buddies go in Thursday and Friday that I haven't heard from. Which is usually good news.

Rocky Bar 07-07-2019 09:06 AM

Meadow Lake

Picked up scanner traffic yesterday early evening, of wanting a chopper at Meadow Lake. ???? Anyone got info?

ThatOneDude 07-09-2019 06:43 AM

Went into Meadow on Sunday. The "Meadow" is clear of snow and dry. The lake is no longer frozen. The campground still has 4-5 feet of snow. Made it over to Winch Hill 5. About 3-5 feet of snow on the road.

oldtimingman 07-10-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyjed (Post 44510814)
There's a group on FB that is getting rescued out today. Sounds like they killed 2/3 rigs and spent the night at CC2.

Had a couple buddies go in Thursday and Friday that I haven't heard from. Which is usually good news.

tried to find some info on the rescue but zero luck? anybody?