Committee to be temporarily closed - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Fordyce Creek
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 218571
Committee to be temporarily closed

Saw this post on friends of fordyce Facebook page earlier. Figured I'd throw it up here since it hasn't been posted yet.

Quote:
Important- Fordyce Dam Construction and Committee Trail temporary closure.

PG&E owns and operates Fordyce Dam and reservoir for water storage in association with the overall Drum-Spaulding hydroelectric project.
This is notification of PG&Es plan to perform major maintenance on Fordyce dam during the summer and fall of years of 2021-2023.
Preliminary investigation work is also taking place in summer/fall of this year, 2019.
In the interest of public safety and project security, the road into the dam will be gated and locked to prevent public access beginning in the latter half of the month of August, 2019.
The gate will remain locked for the construction season then left open during the winter months.
The initial gate location for years 2019 and 2020 will be on PG&E property south of the lake tender cabin.
As a result, the Committee trail will not be accessible from Fordyce Road when the gate is locked.
In years 2021-2023, the gate will be moved further south to near Fordyce Summit, pending approval from USFS.
The gates will be left in the open position during the annual Sierra Trek Event each year and PG&E will continue to manage flows in Fordyce Creek in support of the event.

Public notice signage regarding the road closure will be posted in the field at several strategic locations, including the Fordyce Trailhead off Eagle Lakes road, Meadow Lake Campground and at Fordyce summit.
Unread 08-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Wonder if they'll reopen committee when they're done.
Unread 08-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 940
Committee crossing is down stream not even next to the dam. There is a road to the dam so I expect that is the road they are closing. That is after the turn to go down committee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deep Cryogenic Tempering Service
[b][SIZE="5"]Find all my products at[/SIZE][/b]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[b][SIZE="4"]916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order. [/SIZE][/b]
[b][SIZE="5"]Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass![/SIZE][/b]
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CJdean View Post
Committee crossing is down stream not even next to the dam. There is a road to the dam so I expect that is the road they are closing. That is after the turn to go down committee.
Read the first post again. Straight up says no access to Committee trail. I missed it the first time I read it as well.
Unread 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23011
So it looks like pretty much all access to Fordyce lake will be cutoff between 2021-2023 if they move the gate to Fordyce summit?? That sucks!!
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
Read the first post again. Straight up says no access to Committee trail. I missed it the first time I read it as well.
i think maybe what hes trying to say is that the actual water crossing(committeecrossing) down on the trail will not actually be closed, just the road into fordyce lake(rattle snake rd) will be closed so you can not leave the trail at committee to go to cisco.

Last edited by rockyota83; 08-06-2019 at 07:34 PM.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25632
So I wonder if you are on the main trail, cross committee the river and head up towards the lake, where the gate will be? If any?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 39436
They say south of cabin so I'm thinking where the sign board is. I want to believe they put it in a spot so you can at least turn around once you get there.
I don't see why it couldn't be just past the turn off to Committee.
Unread 08-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
So I wonder if you are on the main trail, cross committee the river and head up towards the lake, where the gate will be? If any?
from the post it seems it will likely be on the southern property line of the parcel pg&e owns, and if USFS approves it they will move it even farther south, my guess would be near the bridge
Unread 08-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
They say south of cabin so I'm thinking where the sign board is. I want to believe they put it in a spot so you can at least turn around once you get there.
I don't see why it couldn't be just past the turn off to Committee.
probably dont want their work trucks to have to deal with ohv traffic on the entirety of rattle snake rd
Unread 08-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Came out Committee today and saw at least 5 signs saying Fordyce Lake will closed to public till 2024. Lower gate spot is about halfway uphill from lake.
Unread 08-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26329
Does anyone happen to know when this closure will take effect?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

KJ6NQX
DDJC
smokd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 194410
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokd View Post
Does anyone happen to know when this closure will take effect?
Per their preliminary plan, the first closure would be starting next week - their first gate is near the bottom of the hill, not near the cabin, so a fair distance from the Committee turn off.

I'm in communication with the PG&E project mgr about all this and they are holding an internal meeting tomorrow, followed by a possible meeting with FoF (myself) and a few folks from the Forest Service on Thursday. We are pushing to get a compromise to at least have the access open outside of working hours (so like late afternoons and weekends) like we had in the past with the logging companies in the area.

Ultra4 #4843 Driver

President,

Vice President,
Rock Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 119923
Water comes down, Gate goes up ?
Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 194410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post
Water comes down, Gate goes up ?
They are supposed to open the spigot today again - there isn't a whole lot of water left in the lake so I'd expect the flows to taper off anyway. The gauge doesn't seem very accurate right now tho - it was reading around 50cfs during the week of Sierra Trek, but when I was there and crossed, it certainly was higher (guessing closer to 100).

Ultra4 #4843 Driver

President,

Vice President,
Unread 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 232324
Has PG&E put up the gate yet? Just curious if Committee/Rattle Snake Rd is still passable.
jeepyjca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Yes interested in this as well.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 194410
There will be no gate/restriction on Rattlesnake Rd from PG&E for 2019 or 2020 to access Committee Trail. You are clear to get to the trail. They are closing off access to the dam site however, so I would implore everyone to honor whatever barrier(s) they put up to keep folks away from the dam area and empty lake bed.

Ultra4 #4843 Driver

President,

Vice President,
Unread 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Came out this am and looks like they are digging some footings for a gate right at the road to the dam house.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 194410
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
Came out this am and looks like they are digging some footings for a gate right at the road to the dam house.
That was the area they told us they would be putting a gate to keep folks from wandering to the dam itself. They are due to haul in some K rail as well to block off access to the empty lake too. The access to Committee should be fine thru 2020.

Ultra4 #4843 Driver

President,

Vice President,
Unread 09-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53528
i came across this guys instagram page while checking out new fordyce pics and vids on instagram, looks like hes working on the dam project up at fordyce lake and also is a fellow wheeler. figured id share it in case anyone wants to see some of the stuff theyre doing up there

https://www.instagram.com/theronarnold/
Unread 09-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 194410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
i came across this guys instagram page while checking out new fordyce pics and vids on instagram, looks like hes working on the dam project up at fordyce lake and also is a fellow wheeler. figured id share it in case anyone wants to see some of the stuff theyre doing up there

https://www.instagram.com/theronarnold/
He might be the guy that the project mgr @ PG&E was telling us about on their staff...

Art

Ultra4 #4843 Driver

President,

Vice President,
Unread 10-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Pretty sure I met him when I worked for syblon ried. They do a lot of cool projects like this, some even much more remote.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 757762
Does anyone know if committee is back open for the late fall/winter months?
85t4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 225201
I can check the gate tomorrow, headed to Cisco for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85t4runner View Post
Does anyone know if committee is back open for the late fall/winter months?
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in