Air coilover? (running coil springs with an air shock) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Air coilover? (running coil springs with an air shock)

I haven't seen this talked about but I am sure it has, my seach brought up a whole lot of nothing.

I have been looking for a versital set of shocks to run on a truck that will be used for R&D of my "Mid Arm" suspension system. I have been looking for a rebuildable emulsion 2.0 around 10" travel. But while searching I came across Radflo's Air Coilovers... And this got me thinking...

If I am running a spicific coil... say 150lb rate for crawling and I wanted to bump up the spring rate and ride hight for some go fast. I could use the air shock to do this and still tune rebound and compression too. Not running for hours in the desert. While it is 1:00am and my thinking may be wrong, this seems like a pretty cool/good set up... Here is my twist... I would actualy not run radflo's shock in my configuration. I have to keep a conventional coil and was thinking more along the lines of adding an airshock in place of the standered nitrogen mono-tube... Maybe a king PR2010 in place of the Bilstein AK7110S.

So am I on the right train of thought here?

-Chris.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
There was a post on this topic in Jeep Tech. Guys with leaf springs and coil springs running air shocks. One of those contributors might be able to chime in.
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 111999
There's no reason you can't do that. It would add a nice progressive feature to your suspension. Do it and report back!
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
One of the guys in my crew run air shocks and small coil springs he nabbed off of something. Works real well.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
One of the guys in my crew run air shocks and small coil springs he nabbed off of something. Works real well.
Sweet! Sounds like all I have to do then is have a shock cap made with a stud to bolt into the factory shock mountig location and I'll be set.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Sweet! Sounds like all I have to do then is have a shock cap made with a stud to bolt into the factory shock mountig location and I'll be set.
He's using Mazda miata front coil springs mounted next to his air shocks front and rear. They also help as a swaybar as well as suspension aid. Big improvement on handling.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Sway A Way also makes threaded bodied Air Shocks for this kind of application but they never really took off so they don't even include them in their literature. I think Fox made a few sets back about 8 years ago as well...dunno whatever came of those. Even Walker made some threaded bodies for a few people but those disappeared. That tells me the applications must really be limited or not work as well as people hoped they would. Still, I haven't ever ran something like that but there may be some applications where they make sense.

Last edited by RedBullJeep; 10-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
The fabtech shocks on roger lovells rig were like this. Seemed to ride pretty nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
He's using Mazda miata front coil springs mounted next to his air shocks front and rear. They also help as a swaybar as well as suspension aid. Big improvement on handling.
From what he told me of his coil spring setup it sounded nice. He set the coils up seperately from the airshock and has the coil nuetral at ride height and retained securely top and bottom, this way it limits/slows droop and helps only a little during compression.

Recommended Stuff:
-
91blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I can see why they would not catch on... I figure that proper tuning will be a nightmare. Most people already don't set air shocks up properly. If you go adding in another variable that will through off the already complex task of seting up air shocks. Most guys would just opt for coilovers. I'm going to try it. I don't figure I'll be ready for testing till next spring. But once I do I'll post up my openion of the setup. I really look forward to seeing how it performs.

-Chris
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2592
Send a message via AIM to rockinfive+2
Tony K ( Rock Equipment ) makes threaded body air shocks. Give him a call
Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinfive+2 View Post
Tony K ( Rock Equipment ) makes threaded body air shocks. Give him a call
I don't need threaded body air shocks... I will be running a progressive rate 2.5" lift coil that has a average spring rate of 158lbs and a King 2.0x10 air shock along side it. This is all going on the front of a MJ to help R&D a new suspension system I have in the works. I can't use the shock to suspend the weight of the vehicle and I want to keep things as close to a stock configuration as posible while still being able to change variables such as spring rate, shock valving and ride hight without buying mounds of unneeded parts. But thanks for the heads up. I origenaly planed to use 7100's or 9100's. But the air shocks offer more variables and tunability. This is why I am going to use them.

-Chris.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I don't need threaded body air shocks... I will be running a progressive rate 2.5" lift coil that has a average spring rate of 158lbs and a King 2.0x10 air shock along side it. This is all going on the front of a MJ to help R&D a new suspension system I have in the works. I can't use the shock to suspend the weight of the vehicle and I want to keep things as close to a stock configuration as posible while still being able to change variables such as spring rate, shock valving and ride hight without buying mounds of unneeded parts. But thanks for the heads up. I origenaly planed to use 7100's or 9100's. But the air shocks offer more variables and tunability. This is why I am going to use them.

-Chris.
I think you'll love the options the air shock creates for you. Good choice!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
If you're running a separate air shock, then wouldn't you get the best of all worlds (in your case) and use a bypass airshock???

Last edited by RedBullJeep; 10-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
If you're running a separate air shock, then wouldn't you get the best of all worlds (in your case) and use a bypass airshock???
Yes I would, But at $900 each... thats $3600 vs $1200. I could be using the extra $2400 for better investments. It would be sweet for sure and give one of the most dynamic suspension setups possible. But that could always be an upgrade for later. I have to be somewhat rational. Because though I will jump the truck, and use it for pre-running. The fact is that this is AR. and byond log roads there isn't any place to really open up at. So my pre-running will be in small short track type settings. There are some good MX tracks and the Superlift park is a blast to baja the main roads at... these will be my test sites.

-Chris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in