ORI Strut Mounts - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63299
ORI Strut Mounts

i am expecting a set of ORI's in the next few days but in order to mount them I need some new shock mounts. I am currently running the single piece one that Poly sells (no the 2 separate tabs that you weld). If i am reading this right, the mounting width of the ORI's is 1.60". how are you mounting yours? grind down the mounts or does someone make one that is wide enough?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84132
It can't be done.

Or...ummmmmm...build some that are the proper width.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
2 individual tabs then box between them. I have suggested it to a few vendors to make a folded 1 piece tab made for ORI mounting but no one has yet. I would think there would be a market for it with the gaining popularity of ORIs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16561
Something to keep in mind when mounting ORIs is that the bumps and limits are built in. That will put quite a bit more stress on the mounts than coilovers with air bumps and limits. Especially if your jumping. I'd rather overbuild the mounts and hoops than underbuild them

Gone but not forgotten: 81 toyota truggy - LT1 - Th400+203+atlas3.0 - 60 / 14 - 42s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dobsogj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsogj View Post
Something to keep in mind when mounting ORIs is that the bumps and limits are built in. That will put quite a bit more stress on the mounts than coilovers with air bumps and limits. Especially if your jumping. I'd rather overbuild the mounts and hoops than underbuild them
full agree here, my old car was airshocked and I retrofitted to ORI's and made no other change than the tab width to accommodate the ORI width. I cracked and began to tear the tube around the upper mount before I beefed around that area.

The premier podcast for those that make Off-Road & ULTRA4 Racing the toughest, most diverse motorsport in the world.

On--->>>

#555 Triple Nickel Racing,
BigWoodyWag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 145218
my sway away race runner's were the same width as the ORI's
johny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
I used a pair of tube tabs from some vendor, drilled them out to 5/8" holes, then boxed between the tabs then either side of tabs too. Can kinda see here:

Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
I was talking to Nate at Artec about making them, but there would have to be so many sizes and styles, and you would need about 50 each to make it so most could afford it. I can burn a 3 or 4 piece set that includes a box for each side, and you would have to trim to fit. I haven't worked on much of anything as almost all of my customers just build their own

for the fastest quick release extinguisher mounts available and UTV parts
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
I did have a local guy build me a jigsaw style bracket to fit my axle that was made for the ORI mounting pattern. Was reasonably priced with similar brackets on the market.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 37026
it can be the easiest part of a build in your project if you want it to be. just make them.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
ORI Struts Owner

Member # 22641
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWoodyWag View Post
full agree here, my old car was airshocked and I retrofitted to ORI's and made no other change than the tab width to accommodate the ORI width. I cracked and began to tear the tube around the upper mount before I beefed around that area.
The new STX strut is more friendly to the mounts. The compression damping softens the landing much better than did the ST model. But I have to second what has been said that when running the struts to take the place of the bumps, you are placing all the load/force on the mounts. Standard shock mounts are not enough. It is best to distribute the load over a wider area, much like an axle truss does, but to a lesser degree.

If it ain't bent ya ain't been

irb4ur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
The mounting width works out pretty well to mount them inside the radius of some 1.75" tubing with some tabs. Here is how I did mine for the rear setup.

And the front uppers. Even if the welds on the tabs fail the shape of the tabs won't let them out of where they are mounted.

And the front lower axle mounts...

AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 72851
I'm in a similar situation and having not dealt with misalignment spacers before I'm hoping to get a quick bit of advice. I'm installing some ORIs in the rear of my Jeep and the spacing of the misalignment spacers is 1.60". That's just about 1/16" inch too long to fit into the upper/lower mounts of the Synergy towers/mounts I've got. I would think it'd be reasonable to sand down the outer ends of the spacers until they fit, but like I said, I haven't dealt with misalignment spacers so don't want to accidentally miss something.

And input would be appreciated. Thanks, fellas... And here's the towers/mounts I've got:

"HATER" - /ˈhādər/ A word used by someone with a limited vocabulary to describe a person with a different opinion.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
turn your spacers down so they fit 1.5" overall like I did or order some 7/16" wide spacers

Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 72851
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
turn your spacers down so they fit 1.5" overall like I did or order some 7/16" wide spacers
Thanks! Will do...

"HATER" - /ˈhādər/ A word used by someone with a limited vocabulary to describe a person with a different opinion.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobsogj View Post
THIS ^^^^^^

We had to overbuild my mounts after the first attempt. The normal shock or coil-over designed mounts are not good enough for ORIs. DO over-engineer these.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 53677
as long as you box the mounts, or just build them braced in the right direction and you should be more than fine.

don't hang them off the side of tubes, or the ends of axles with regular old mounts and you'll be fine.

1/4 tabs on top of an axle? more than fine.

IG: @partiallycommittedracing

slravene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 72851
Thanks for the input! These Synergy mounts are pretty beefy, that's for sure. And I plan to add some gussets to them, as well as tie them into the rear cage down tubes. Not sure the cage tie-ins will be done before Easter Jeep Safari, but if not I'll get to them immediately afterward.

I'm not a rock bouncer by any means so hopefully it'll work alright.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Under Powered

Member # 19543
I built all of mine from scratch, along with almost all of the rest of my rig...

onlyonedr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 747281
jetfixrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4421
Built the front mounts out of 1/4" plate by hand. They've held up well.

Did the rear axle recently, and got lazy and purchased 1/4" parts and drilled for the 5/8" bolts and welded it all up.

If you can, make your own parts or cusomize off of someone else's. It's more fun and usually works better.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in