Bump Stop Tech - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27145
Bump Stop Tech

Anyone ever done bump stops on the bottom of their coil overs or tripple bypass shocks?

My new buggy has a little too much up travel which puts the winch disengage lever in danger of hitting the bottom of the fuel tank at full stuff.

There are 7.5 inches of up travel in the shocks and only 6.5 inches between the winch lever and the bottom of the fuel cell. The shocks are tuned really well and even with jumping the buggy it never gets within 2" of bottoming out. However, if it ever did, it could punch a hole in the gas tank.

So, I found some Energy Suspension bumps (6108) for a 1980 MGB McPherson strut that are 2.25" diameter and 2.125 with a 5/8" hole. I bored them out to 7/8" and took the ends off the shocks. I got some washers to support them and re-installed.

I don't think I'll bottom far enough to engage the bumps very often, just wondering if anyone else has done this and is it safe. Are the shock bodies strong enough to use them this way?

Last edited by zebrajeep; 03-10-2012 at 07:04 PM.
zebrajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Why not just re clock the winch handle to the front or back?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 178594
They actually make bumps for that application with different compression strenghts. Our kings came with some installed. Here's one source for em.
http://www.resuspension.com/Bump-Sto...p-1-c-328.html
Barnhartal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 109772
Cool link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnhartal View Post
They actually make bumps for that application with different compression strenghts. Our kings came with some installed. Here's one source for em.
http://www.resuspension.com/Bump-Sto...p-1-c-328.html
painter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 138167
One thing to consider a bit about limiting the travel of the triple bypass shocks is that you are losing about 2" of your bump zone. I like to see 100% of the travel used on a bypass shock unless you have custom tube placement. Otherwise you may not getting the full benefit of different dampening zones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 510-502-8508
Dirt-Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23545
I did the same set up by taking some old bumpstops off of a strut on a dodge neon i think. Worked great except my allen head screws kept coming loose on the bottom of my sway aways that hold the wiper seal on. After i removed them i never had a problem with them coming loose again.
crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 27145
Clock the winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
Why not just re clock the winch handle to the front or back?
Excellent idea. I'll do that today. I still have one area of the tank that is close to the controller box on the winch. Also, the front tires rub the hood at full flex, but I won't have to worry about the winch handle.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Fab View Post
One thing to consider a bit about limiting the travel of the triple bypass shocks is that you are losing about 2" of your bump zone. I like to see 100% of the travel used on a bypass shock unless you have custom tube placement. Otherwise you may not getting the full benefit of different dampening zones.
Excellent point. That's why I jumped the car with zip ties on the bypass shafts. I started with some small impacts and worked my way up to about 3 feet off the ground and 20 or 30 feet out. That test showed that the tuning of the shocks is keeping over 2" in reserve even in that kind of a jump. That means I will have to do something pretty radical to ever impact the bumps.

Last edited by zebrajeep; 03-11-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: second quote
zebrajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
Sweet ride! and yes we used to just get the stock bumps from the local alignment shops junk bin.... 'Cause I'm CHEAP!

Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off-road UA2014 Alumni.
Cooter! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in