ARB compressor & external tank - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
ARB compressor & external tank

I've thought about hooking up my ARB Compressor to an external tank, that has more volume then the small tank on the compressor, I did a search here and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I would like to see is pic's of people that have done this.
Is this a good idea? Or will I be taxing the compressor too much.
My main goal is to have extra air for airing tires, and for the lockers.
I currently have the CKMA12 compressor.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
darkstarFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 98722
Its a great idea, I sell arb compressors, so we will have a great relationship!
mr overkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I thinking airing up tires with an ARB compressor is painfully slow and that's what kills them.
I had a 1 gallon tank on my ARB and loved the fact I could go wheeling for a weekend and after the initial fill up I never had to hear that little thing rattle again.

I just put a T on the pressure fitting and ran a line to the tank.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I thinking airing up tires with an ARB compressor is painfully slow and that's what kills them.
I had a 1 gallon tank on my ARB and loved the fact I could go wheeling for a weekend and after the initial fill up I never had to hear that little thing rattle again.

So basically you put the line on the section of the compressor that houses the pressure switch?
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
Do NOT try to use your ARB compressor to fill fawking tires

Ever tried to kill an elephant with a BB gun?

There is a reason that compressors meant for filling tires are expensive.

Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off-road UA2014 Alumni.
Cooter! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter! View Post
Do NOT try to use your ARB compressor to fill fawking tires

Ever tried to kill an elephant with a BB gun?

There is a reason that compressors meant for filling tires are expensive.
I would rather use the compressor for filling a air tank, and using the air tank to fill a tire, if needed.

I have the compressor setup now to just run the lockers.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
Nice version:
How is using a waaaaaaay too small compressor to fill a tank...then a tire, any different from using the same waaaaaaay too small compressor for filling a tire directly?

Not nice version:
Oh, never mind then. I didn't realize the compressor filled the empty space inside a tank before it went into an empty space to fill a tire. That should magically solve the problem of the waaaaaay too small compressor?
At least (hopefully) you'll be at the end of the trail airing up (and out of my way) when you explode the tiny, ARB compressor and lose your lockers

The size (7mm) of the blue air line should be the first clue. I'm really trying not to be a dick, but seriously?

Have you EVER typed "air compressor" in Google?
Have you EVER shopped for on-board air of any kind?
Have you noticed the size of compressor they use to fill your tires at ANY tire shop? Clue, it's big.
Have you ever used the 25 cent machines at a gas station? Clue, it's tiny but still bigger than yours.
It would LITERALLY be faster to use a bicycle pump, and the bicycle might even fill all 4, once before dying.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post

He is NOT saying to fill your tires. He has a small leak and stopped the compressor from cycling by adding a little air volume to the system. All good there.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:
Nice version:
How is using a waaaaaaay too small compressor to fill a tank...then a tire, any different from using the same waaaaaaay too small compressor for filling a tire directly?

Not nice version:
Oh, never mind then. I didn't realize the compressor filled the empty space inside a tank before it went into an empty space to fill a tire. That should magically solve the problem of the waaaaaay too small compressor?
At least (hopefully) you'll be at the end of the trail airing up (and out of my way) when you explode the tiny, ARB compressor and lose your lockers

The size (7mm) of the blue air line should be the first clue. I'm really trying not to be a dick, but seriously?

Have you noticed the size of compressor they use to fill your tires at ANY tire shop? Clue, it's big.
Have you ever used the 25 cent machines at a gas station? Clue, it's tiny but still bigger than yours.
It would LITERALLY be faster to use a bicycle pump, and the bicycle might even fill all 4, once before dying.
This is why I love pirate, love the brutal honesty.

I didn't plan on putting an extra tank in, just a thought I had.

Thanks for the great info, no sarcasm, no joke.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Straight from ARB's web page:
Quote:
It has enough output to air up four 35" - 37" tires in a single duty cycle and typically airs up a 35" tire in just over two minutes.

I've been using my ARB comp to air up tires for over a decade now (and occasionally buddies who are too lazy to get their own compressor's tires too ). I agree it's painfully slow (mines also the older version which they too said can be used for tires), but it still seems to be working just as well as the day I bought it.

I'll concede that I've noticed the thing does get damn hot after a bit though (I put a decent-sized DC computer fan blowing on it wired in with the compressor motor so they both run at the same time).

As for the external tank, the only thing that'll get you is not having to hear it run as often like Welndmn mentioned. Unless the tank is huge, it's not going to quicken the filling of your tires by any noticeable amount (but could allow the use of some air tools for short bursts).
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
I used to have my ARB compressor plumbed into an external tank and it worked fine. The compressor is small and slow to fill tires with but faster than not having one at all.

J. J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
I have a crispy new dollar for you if the OP is using the latest/greatest CKMT Dual headed ARB compressor that is MEANT to fill tires...
If he bought that one, he never would have asked the question. Because it's all over the BOX IT COMES IN.
Although he never gave a part #, my assumption was that the OP bought the standard compressor to run the lockers alone, and was asking if he could use it to fill tires. Since I believe its the baby one...NO, he can't.

(edit) Wait a sec... COULD use it? (maybe if he's being chased by hungry Zombies), or SHOULD use it (still no)?

Helpful linky:
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/ne...A12_retail.pdf

Last edited by Cooter!; 04-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 92250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb.offroading View Post
I've thought about hooking up my ARB Compressor to an external tank, that has more volume then the small tank on the compressor, I did a search here and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Nothing wrong with using the CKMA12 for tyre inflation, these other people need to pull their heads out of their arses, not everyone has the budget for a big $$$ setup. The CKMA12 is basically the same as the CKMP12 which is used for tyre inflation.

I have used a CKMA12 with a 9L tank for about 3 years now. My lockers run off the 9L tank. Regularly used to pump 35'' tyres from 7 psi to 35psi, never any problem. The extra head of air really heaps when seating beads etc too and I can run my 1/2'' rattle gun too.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Quote:
I have a crispy new dollar for you if the OP is using the latest/greatest CKMT Dual headed ARB compressor that is MEANT to fill tires...
If he bought that one, he never would have asked the question. Because it's all over the BOX IT COMES IN.
Although he never gave a part #, my assumption was that the OP bought the standard compressor to run the lockers alone, and was asking if he could use it to fill tires. Since I believe its the baby one...NO, he can't.

(edit) Wait a sec... COULD use it? (maybe if he's being chased by hungry Zombies), or SHOULD use it (still no)?

Helpful linky:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb.offroading View Post

You must not be paying attention. The link I posted was not for the CKMTA12 either.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
"So what makes this compressor special? It's small enough to fit into even the tightest space and quiet enough to mount in the cab. It has enough output to air up four 35" - 37" tires in a single duty cycle and typically airs up a 35" tire in just over two minutes. And, it works. We've tested this unit in ovens, freezers, underwater and in the silty dust of the Simpson Desert and it continues to perform."

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 113181
Quote:
Nice version:

Not nice version:

Not trying to sound like a dick?......Too late for that
aussiejoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:

Helpful linky:
My OP was mainly to see what people thought about it, it's sole and 100% purpose is to run the lockers. Sure, it would be nice to run the CKMT compressor, but for $500+, not worth it for how much I would use it for airing down and airing back up.

I've never had to air down my tires, all though it would have been nice at KOH, but I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
Straight from ARB's web page:

I've been using my ARB comp to air up tires for over a decade now (and occasionally buddies who are too lazy to get their own compressor's tires too ). I agree it's painfully slow (mines also the older version which they too said can be used for tires), but it still seems to be working just as well as the day I bought it.

I'll concede that I've noticed the thing does get damn hot after a bit though (I put a decent-sized DC computer fan blowing on it wired in with the compressor motor so they both run at the same time).

As for the external tank, the only thing that'll get you is not having to hear it run as often like Welndmn mentioned. Unless the tank is huge, it's not going to quicken the filling of your tires by any noticeable amount (but could allow the use of some air tools for short bursts).
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
I used to have my ARB compressor plumbed into an external tank and it worked fine. The compressor is small and slow to fill tires with but faster than not having one at all.

J. J.
Thanks for the info.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
that part I posted is right off ARBs website

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board...2-P3572C9.aspx
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvy_Chevy View Post
that part I posted is right off ARBs website

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board...2-P3572C9.aspx
Yeah, I read up on the compressor before I bought it, for what I need it for, it's perfect.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
Yup, totally missed the part # posted by the OP. Sorry dude.

I'll get my suitcase and report to the fail thread now.

But it's still too small IMO

Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
Quote:
Yup, totally missed the part # posted by the OP. Sorry dude.

I'll get my suitcase and report to the fail thread now.

But it's still too small IMO
It's all good. I figured it was too small, but it was just a thought.
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12920
If you've ever tried to re-seat a bead with out starter fluid having an air tank helps a lot. If you plump a small compressor to your air tank you can cycle it on an off multiple times over the day to fill your tank with out killing the compressor. Heat from running the compressor over it's duty cycle kill the motor.

I've used this method to re-seat 42"s. I wouldn't do this to get tires back to street pressure because it would take for ever, but it's definitely come it clutch at times
dspin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 193488
I fun-king love the attitudes here

And appreciate all the info too , I'm looking for a small 12V compressor for running air tools ( impact) and airing tires back up .
Regardless of what I decide on , I'm hooking up a separate tank and will incorporate a cooling fan for the unit .

I'm liking the specs on this unit , seems pretty decent for the $150 price .

Compressor Amps 45.0 amps
Maximum Pressure (psi) 150 psi
CFM 5.65
Air Lines Included Yes
Pressure Gauge Included Yes
Case Included Yes

It claims the max duty cycle is 40 minutes .

I'm not looking to spend $400-$500 on a 12V compressor and this will prolly fit the bill nicely ......we'll see .

Last edited by GUNSLINGER 67; 04-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.
GUNSLINGER 67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 121349
The CKMA12 will air up 33's fine for what it is.

It will be hot as hell afterwards, but it will do it.

The dual arb compressor(CKMTA12) is just two CKMA12 together with a cooling fan and a 150psi pressure switch.

Now for clarification, if someone was trying to air up tires with the CKSA12, they would have problems. That compressor is obviously too small.

I thought a slightly less Ignorant post was needed in this thread!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 198356
A bump to this thread...

Currently I have the tire inflation kit, which comes with the coupler that the hose attaches to, I want to move that coupler to another location, basically extending it.

Any idea on what type of fittings I need to make this work, or where I can buy them?
'74 FJ40
'76 FJ55 (New Addition)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in