How to keep a 22r alive under no oil pressure situatoins? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141869
How to keep a 22r alive under no oil pressure situatoins?

Converted my 22r to propane. I like to push thing to the limit. Was at Moon Rocks recently and realized that on propane my truck will, obviously, run at any angle. On the steep inclines that have to be worked, I noticed my valve train clattering and my oil pressure reading 0. On the carburater I've already killed one engine and my fear is that I am going to really eat up engines now that they will stay running.

What can I do to prolong my engines life??

Synthetic?
Higher viscocity?

Sorry I don't have money for a dry sump, so don't mention it
nate_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 122916
Sounds like you need to add some baffling to the oil pan to try and keep the oil pickup tube submersed at extreme operating angles.
xj9140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
How tired is your motor? I ran synthetic in mine with Lucas and ran it until it was sucking oil through the pcv on several occasions, but ultimately turned it off within 10 seconds of seeing no oil pressure (22r stroker, not worth burning up a $5k engine) I never heard valve train chatter
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86724
dry sump.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.patparts.com

Member # 4821
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_ View Post
Converted my 22r to propane. I like to push thing to the limit. Was at Moon Rocks recently and realized that on propane my truck will, obviously, run at any angle. On the steep inclines that have to be worked, I noticed my valve train clattering and my oil pressure reading 0. On the carburater I've already killed one engine and my fear is that I am going to really eat up engines now that they will stay running.

What can I do to prolong my engines life??

Synthetic?
Higher viscocity?

Sorry I don't have money for a dry sump, so don't mention it
Accumulator.

Search any ls engine oil thread. The answer you seeks is the same you will find there.

J. J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

patooyee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 141869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
How tired is your motor? I ran synthetic in mine with Lucas and ran it until it was sucking oil through the pcv on several occasions, but ultimately turned it off within 10 seconds of seeing no oil pressure (22r stroker, not worth burning up a $5k engine) I never heard valve train chatter
I'm going to say that it's pretty tired. I'm running my first replacement engine, it came from a 2wd that had been sitting for a couple of year and no I never changed the oil or filter. Maybe that has something to do with it?
nate_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8937
I ran the fuck out of my 22re for years and paid no attention to the oil pressure gauge. There's no lifters in the valve train so I'm pretty sure that's not what you're hearing. Maybe you're motor is just whooped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32891
Pre-mix

But every time I'm at moonrocks my stock oil pressure light comes on haha. Run it
aceofspades1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 145218
over fill the oil , I run extra , solved my problem

Last edited by johny5.0; 04-17-2012 at 01:35 AM.
johny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
I ran the fuck out of my 22re for years and paid no attention to the oil pressure gauge. There's no lifters in the valve train so I'm pretty sure that's not what you're hearing. Maybe you're motor is just whooped.
The cam chain tensioner uses oil pressure (along with a spring) to keep the chain tight. Your hearing the old worn out timing chain rattle. It can also break the stock plastic giudes, then it makes a lot of noise.
Mine has to run for a while with no oil before it's noisy. BTW I don't run guages. Iwouldn't be looking at them in no oil pressure situations anyway.
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
When it starts smoking like crazy that's your 10-second warning

I've been beating on this truck/motor for the past 5 years as shown in the video and it still runs great.

Ary beating on his truck in the washout - YouTube

I don't run an oil pressure gauge and usually only kill it if it's been smoking for a while.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
I've smoked out the entire area up there and not lost a motor, once you can't see though all of the smoke, give up.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Run a diesel truck engine oil.

Rotella/Delvac/etc

They have high ZDDP additives that will give a level of protection even when there is no oil pressure.

I run JAX Maxxum 5w40 (full synthetic diesel engine oil) in my 22REs, never had any engine damage. Even when I finished a race with no oil in the engine.

Not saying that it will save your engine when running zero pressure, but it gives you a little more "buffer"
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I've smoked out the entire area up there and not lost a motor, once you can't see though all of the smoke, give up.
Disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve cover to intake and you won't be putting on smoke shows.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 78
like this:
VIDEO0008 - YouTube
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 84206
Do like Jesse said and disconnect that hose. Mine is still hooked up as my warning. Ive beat the damnit out of my old tired 22r for almost 2 years now. It sat for 3 before that and is probably the original motor (85). No oil pressure gauge.

If I take the time to ever build the 20r/22r hybrid I want to put in it I will run an accumulator. Check old race shops and they can be had for cheap, at least here in NC. Silly flat track late model and dirt track rednecks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in