Ground clearance VS Center of gravity? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Ground clearance VS Center of gravity?

I'm swinging drivetrain into the 'Binder Speed'. Trying to decide whats better lower CoG or higher ground clearance.

Scouts originally came with completely flat bellys so it would be easy to keep that but if I move the motor around a little bit, I get much better weight distribution and CoG. But then, everything ends up 6" below the frame rails.

I'm running 120" WB and 35" tires so ground clearance is a premium.

What to do.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
I'm swinging drivetrain into the 'Binder Speed'. Trying to decide whats better lower CoG or higher ground clearance.

Scouts originally came with completely flat bellys so it would be easy to keep that but if I move the motor around a little bit, I get much better weight distribution and CoG. But then, everything ends up 6" below the frame rails.

I'm running 120" WB and 35" tires so ground clearance is a premium.

What to do.......
Flat belly. Not an even remotely difficult decision. 120 with 35's? dude. You need 25in minimum.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Flat belly. Not an even remotely difficult decision. 120 with 35's? dude. You need 25in minimum.
Given the fact that ultra 4/dirt riot courses are generally less rocky/technical than traditional rock events, would a low belly be that bad? I'm just thinking about it from a speed/stability perspective.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 73963
decide how much uptravel you are going to get with your tire size and add 3-4" of reserve space. ground clearance is whatever it is

turbod the Lexus

Tons and 42's on the Lexus

laproscopic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
the binder in your sig?
move the axles on top of the leaves. gives you lower COG and maintains the flat belly
you havent even tried to make it low from what I saw
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
There were no rocks in this years EMC race so I'd build for speed over rocks.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20394
Quote:
Given the fact that ultra 4/dirt riot courses are generally less rocky/technical than traditional rock events, would a low belly be that bad? I'm just thinking about it from a speed/stability perspective.
Are you building it for one race, or to actually wheel? Either way, at 120 you need clearance.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 2092
I think belly width is really important, it definitely plays in as much as height.

Alpha Base in the quest for fullsize GM offroad world domination.
6 years of KOH/U4 racing
10 Ultimate Adventures
Official Canoeligan
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
the binder in your sig?
move the axles on top of the leaves. gives you lower COG and maintains the flat belly
you havent even tried to make it low from what I saw
and then everything else drags. plus, I cant get the travel I need being SUA. Also, fender trimming is an option but fender butchering isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
There were no rocks in this years EMC race so I'd build for speed over rocks.
Thats what I was wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Are you building it for one race, or to actually wheel? Either way, at 120 you need clearance.
building it for race series, not recreational wheeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think belly width is really important, it definitely plays in as much as height.
Good thought. The widest part would be my D300, still much narrower than the frame rails.

hmmmmm.......

Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
...I cant get the travel I need being SUA.
SUA > SOA for go-fast stuff. Hands-down.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40567
Send a message via AIM to 1TONZR2
how much are you trying to move the motor? just down or down and back? if you can move it enough to help lower your center of gravity and better weight distribution, I think it could be worth it, as long as the majority of the skid is flat. you might have to make small hump with the tcase hangs down, but if you build it like a ramp I think it would be fine. Is the tcase clocked at all?

Brian
96 ZR2 HP60,14B, 5.13s,locked ,F/R tri'ed 4 link,16" SAW COs and 4" SAW bumps front, 16" ORIs rear,RCI fuel cell, Truggied out, 42" PitBull Rockers & TR beadlocks, 5.3L Vortec w/LS6 cam/springs, 231/205 doubler, 1410s, 9.5ti

Over the Top Offroad

1TONZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
SUA > SOA for go-fast stuff. Hands-down.
I guess I meant to say, with my current set up and budget, SOA is what works for me. Yes, SUA works best but I cant afford 65" deavers and I dont have room for them in this rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TONZR2 View Post
how much are you trying to move the motor? just down or down and back? if you can move it enough to help lower your center of gravity and better weight distribution, I think it could be worth it, as long as the majority of the skid is flat. you might have to make small hump with the tcase hangs down, but if you build it like a ramp I think it would be fine. Is the tcase clocked at all?

Brian
Down and back. T-case will be flat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in