Best all around 37-40" tire for onroad/offroad - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #101 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
I have 3 Jeeps, a 4x4 truck, and a rock buggy. I have ran:

MTR Kevlars
KM2s
Iroks
Radial Treps
Toyo MTs
Nitto Trail Graplers
Pro Comp
Baja Claws

THE BEST combo trail/street tire I have ever ran is the Nitto Trail Grappler. Close second choice would be the Toyos.

Unlike the KM2, Pro Comp, and Maxxis, the Trail Grapplers run true to size. Unlike the MTR and Irok, the Trail Grapplers always balance very well. Unlike the Baja Claws and Iroks, the Trail Grapplers have excellent street manners. Unlike the Pro Comp, KM2, and MTR, the trail grapplers have tough sidewalls. Unlike the Radial treps, Pro Comp, and Claws, the Trail Grapplers really hook-up in all conditions off-road and really excel in the rocks. Unlike the Iroks and Claws, the Trail Grapplers last a long time.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 482578
Have you seen the new procomps? The mt2's? Sidewall greatly improved. And my balances very well with bags. Especially for 40's
K30_Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #103 (permalink)
Canuckastani

Member # 164167
My pro-comp 40s measure bang on 40

1993 Dodge W-250 CTD/Getrag 360/205/kingpin HO72/14bolt on 4Ds
2015 Yamaha WR250R
Boons is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 50971
My nittos measure 40.25 I have them on trail gear beadlocks and have crawled all over and run them up to 90 mph on the highway on my tj no balancing and smooth as glass. Awesome tires.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #105 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
Have you seen the new procomps? The mt2's? Sidewall greatly improved. And my balances very well with bags. Especially for 40's
I don't know if these are the new design or not, but they don't last long on rock buggies.

desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dogg View Post
I don't know if these are the new design or not, but they don't last long on rock buggies.

One picture does not give a fair representation of the tire. You hit any rock square on at speed and you're going to have issues. For the price and warranty and tire construction, the new pro comps are very hard to beat as an all around tire
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 151814
Quote:

Is this your setup ? That's the only pic I've seen of one messed up be interesting to hear more from people using them.
a1racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 145042
Hows the road noise from the ProComp MT2's? I drive 500 miles usually each way for a weekend of wheeling. I will be coming from the old MTR's, with entire lugs missing, just for reference.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #109 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 132637
The road noise isnt to bad on the procomps i think its about the same as any mud Terrain i have them on a ram 2500 so even being a heavy truck the noise is fine, as far as traction offroad i think they are better than the others posted above, after running them on my buggy and tow rig i think they are a great tire on and offroad!! I VOTE PROCOMP!
GRANITE GRINDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #110 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
I just got back from Moab and my nitto trail grapplers ate up everything. We walked up double whammy barely spinning the tires. I'm completely sold on these tires now and have no need to look anywhere else. We rode with a few people with different tires including 42" superswamper tsl, military Goodyear 37 on a 4 dr jk, 37" Goodyear kevlars on a cj5 the good years and the nittos had the most tire flex, they really molded around the rocks compared to the other 2. And it seemed that the nittos would slip less on the rocks most climbs did not require bumping just a slow crawl and tires might chirp a couple times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 fummins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Baron85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #111 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
I've ran 3 KOH EMC races on the MT2's. Finished every race and only one flat in 3 years. I'd say their a pretty solid tire. The hit the flatted the tire. Would've flatted any tire.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's

Last edited by hurleygo3; 03-30-2016 at 04:47 PM.
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #112 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
I have 3 Jeeps, a 4x4 truck, and a rock buggy. I have ran:

MTR Kevlars
KM2s
Iroks
Radial Treps
Toyo MTs
Nitto Trail Graplers
Pro Comp
Baja Claws

THE BEST combo trail/street tire I have ever ran is the Nitto Trail Grappler. Close second choice would be the Toyos.

Unlike the KM2, Pro Comp, and Maxxis, the Trail Grapplers run true to size. Unlike the MTR and Irok, the Trail Grapplers always balance very well. Unlike the Baja Claws and Iroks, the Trail Grapplers have excellent street manners. Unlike the Pro Comp, KM2, and MTR, the trail grapplers have tough sidewalls. Unlike the Radial treps, Pro Comp, and Claws, the Trail Grapplers really hook-up in all conditions off-road and really excel in the rocks. Unlike the Iroks and Claws, the Trail Grapplers last a long time.
I call BS on the true to size and hooking up on the Pro Comp's. They are one of, if not the tallest tires I have measured. As for hooking up. I'd take the Pro Comp over any of the above listed tires in the rocks.

Give me a few and I'll find the pics of the Pro Comps next to other tires I have compared.

Next to a BFG KO2.
Attached Images

Last edited by hurleygo3; 03-30-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #113 (permalink)
Canuckastani

Member # 164167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
I call BS on the true to size and hooking up on the Pro Comp's. They are one of, if not the tallest tires I have measured. As for hooking up. I'd take the Pro Comp over any of the above listed tires in the rocks.

Give me a few and I'll find the pics of the Pro Comps next to other tires I have compared.

Next to a BFG KO2.
I just traded in my 4 brand new procomps for 5 trail grapplers (Was a good Deal)
The procomps were bang on 40 and these grapplers are 39.5...Grapplers are noticeably heavier but I like the sidewall much better than the M/T2s

1993 Dodge W-250 CTD/Getrag 360/205/kingpin HO72/14bolt on 4Ds
2015 Yamaha WR250R
Boons is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 662090
mt2 seems to be a newer tire?
just here to see about sidewall failures. it's the reason i wont run mtr/k's, mastercraps(for obvious reasons), so some other tires.
currently on military bfg bajas's (grooved) while they don't balance very well, they'd take a machete to the side wall , and not too bad on the rocks at 8-10 psi

Last edited by awinski; 03-31-2016 at 02:46 PM.
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #115 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
I run the pro comp xmt2's in 35's on my DD/ww Tj. Excellent traction in snowy conditions. Wear very well, and aren't half as loud as the MTZs they replaced. They measured 34 3/4" on 8" wide steel wheels with 22 lbs of air.

I will probably try these in a 37" the next time around.
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 226009
Just killed two 35 x 12.5 x 15 Swamper SSR's this weekend. I can't decide what to go with. I got the swampers used. Thinking about creepy crawlers or Cooper STT Pro and buy somewhere that I can get the certificates for replacement.

I've gone through two sets of MTR. They seem good at first, but fall apart after 50% tread.

I don't DD mine, but sometimes drive 2 hours to the trail.

Last edited by suicideking; 04-04-2016 at 10:24 PM.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #117 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 44135
I run 37" bfg stickies as my normal summer wheeling tire on my buggy, But I also have a set of the cooper stt Pros in a 37" for my snow and regular trail wheeling that requires road miles and dirt roads that love to eat the stickies. They do Very well. Ran the cooper stts prior. The STT Pro's are an awesome all around tire. For a "mortal" tire, the compound is fairly sticky and do very well on most all terrains. They can hang most all the same lines I run the sticky tires on a few local trails I've done with both sets now. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good tire. They have good flex in the tread, don't chip or chunk easily, warm up nicely when needed, sidewalls take a good beating and laugh. Sipes seem to very well in the snow and ice and they float well for the deeper snow. But they have no issue digging deep holes with heavy foot in the deep snow. lol

I just put them on my DD samurai in a 31" flavor as well and also love them on that too. Nice to have an aggressive tire that actually is round and needs very little weight to balance.

My understanding is that they are same carcass as the procomp's mentioned above (same parent company). Just a slightly different compound
87 Zuk, dana 44's w/5:38 detroits,coils/3 link frt, 3 link rear 37" Krawlers
87 Zuk, SPOA, Lockrights f/r, 31" Cooper Stt Pro's. shaved and trussed stock axle housings,1.6 8V, fuel injected, 4.89 t-case
catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzuk View Post
I run 37" bfg stickies as my normal summer wheeling tire on my buggy, But I also have a set of the cooper stt Pros in a 37" for my snow and regular trail wheeling that requires road miles and dirt roads that love to eat the stickies. They do Very well. Ran the cooper stts prior. The STT Pro's are an awesome all around tire. For a "mortal" tire, the compound is fairly sticky and do very well on most all terrains. They can hang most all the same lines I run the sticky tires on a few local trails I've done with both sets now. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good tire. They have good flex in the tread, don't chip or chunk easily, warm up nicely when needed, sidewalls take a good beating and laugh. Sipes seem to very well in the snow and ice and they float well for the deeper snow. But they have no issue digging deep holes with heavy foot in the deep snow. lol

I just put them on my DD samurai in a 31" flavor as well and also love them on that too. Nice to have an aggressive tire that actually is round and needs very little weight to balance.

My understanding is that they are same carcass as the procomp's mentioned above (same parent company). Just a slightly different compound
Been wondering about these. The tread kinda reminds me of a Pitbull Rocker Lite. I have the rocker radials and while they are awesome on the trail, they are getting to be rough as shit for 1-2hr drives to get there.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 226009
Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the info!

These are my first choice so far. I was thinking of something more aggressive like a Creepy Crawler, but figured they might not be very nice on the road and might wear out faster. With the Cooper, I can find a place to sell the replacement certs. So leaning in that direction.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #120 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:

Cooper use to make Pro Comp's tire. The MT2's are made by Maxxis.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 139619
I'd say KM2s are pretty damn wicked, they seem to be wearing kind of quick(IMO) on the truck I'm referring to as it's the only one I have experience with. That being said, they are road driven with spools f&r, I'd say half 60% tread after 1 year of wheeling/part time DD.

They kick ass in mud. They do very well on rocks. In the snow they're beyond impressive, but only at very low air pressures. Even at around 15psi, they dig too much in any type of snow. At 6psi we're having no issues at all. They're not real cheap, though.

I'd say more on road, but wheeled, Cooper Disc STTs.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 226009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho4x4Bronco View Post
I'd say KM2s are pretty damn wicked, they seem to be wearing kind of quick(IMO) on the truck I'm referring to as it's the only one I have experience with. That being said, they are road driven with spools f&r, I'd say half 60% tread after 1 year of wheeling/part time DD.

They kick ass in mud. They do very well on rocks. In the snow they're beyond impressive, but only at very low air pressures. Even at around 15psi, they dig too much in any type of snow. At 6psi we're having no issues at all. They're not real cheap, though.

I'd say more on road, but wheeled, Cooper Disc STTs.
The main problem with the KM2 is the weak side walls. I've seen too many of them get side wall punctures.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 48084
I keep hearing people say that the Nittos are as good as it gets for a 80 MPH safe tire that actually works and holds up offroad.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
The main problem with the KM2 is the weak side walls. I've seen too many of them get side wall punctures.
Also, the 37s are barely taller than a true 35, the 38s and 40s are $$$ if you can even get them
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 226009
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Also, the 37s are barely taller than a true 35, the 38s and 40s are $$$ if you can even get them
True. I have a friend that has the 37's and everyone thinks they're 35's.

I'm probably getting the Cooper. They're $950 shipped for 4 including replacement certs. My main worry was that they wouldn't be able to handle rocks. If I get the certs, I can get them replaced.

Last edited by suicideking; 04-05-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in