This or That: Triple bypass or axle upgrade for racing? Must choose... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
This or That: Triple bypass or axle upgrade for racing? Must choose...

With a budget that would only allow for one or the other this year (pre-KOH EMC 2013) to my TJ, I'm interested in some opinions on which I would get the biggest bang for the buck out of:
  • Upgrade rear axle (60, 609, 9", etc)
Or
  • Add and tune triple bypass shocks to the current rear axle

I currently race on 37" radial Rockers bolted to TJ Rubi 44 axles (f/r). They are as built as I can make them (super 44 kits, arb's, trusses, gussets, BBK, custom steering), but they are still just Rubi 44s. Suspension consists of moderately tuned King resi 2.0 C/Os (will need fine tuning in the desert), airbumps, and anti-rock.

Either way, looks like I would be stuck with my front axle. Then there is the Bolt pattern- may have to have 5x4.5 drilled rear d60 shafts (or get a rockjock) , or buy 5x4.5 to 8 lug spacers for the front (I think I saw some through google searching). Rear axle has to have an ARB- the TJ is daily driven. Any opinions on which option would benefit me more in an EMC race?
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Tune your current shocks and upgrade the axles. Bypasses aren't the magic cure to everything, and normal coilovers can be tuned to work really really well for most. Coilovers will get you to the end of the race any day....a rubicon 44 probably wont.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52621
Upgrade the rear axle, I don't think a 44 rear is going to last very long.
tw89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 34900
Axles FTW
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
What class are you planning on running?

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSpot View Post
Axles FTW
It would be a rear axle, not rear and front. Not enough $$$$ to do it right (f & r) before Feb.

Pretty early consensus for the axle over shocks. I've been shopping for one, but saw I could do the rear triple bi's for the same cost, so I thought I would get some feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
What class are you planning on running?
Mod.

Last edited by REDLYNER; 04-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102029
axles first, BUT Shocks Tunning Most Important

If the Emc race is same next year , then build axles, Make sure you have a very good shock tuner, and properly tuned bumpstops , the whoops will
be where will have to slow a lot if shocks aren't properly tuned .Alot of people complained that the rock portions were to Easy ( they were) . so I think , or I hope they will make them tougher. Were adding bypasses for next year as our achilles heel this year was lack of good shock tunning.
tazmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 78079
I think the bypasses will just make you want to go faster making it harder on the rear axle. I also vote axle
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Savvy Off Road

Member # 110540
Axles. We run smooth body shocks and no air bumps. We did OK.

Follow us on Facebook for the latest news and pictures:
Provelogear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
LOL, if by OK, you mean WINNING

Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103062
You can build a rear 60 or 9 with pretty much any wheel bolt pattern you want. I run semi float D60 builders axles in my 9 and they are 5x4.5 or 5x5.5. I know I know semi float...but I have no problems with my rear axle, and am kind hard on it . If you want full float, there are many options and a spacer like spidertrax is a cheap easy one.
BUT. One day you will want to put a front axle in that thing. Then you will need new wheels...This goes on forever....

BTW, I agree, new axle. Shocks can be tuned just fine, you just gotta work on them and put the time in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
With a budget that would only allow for one or the other this year (pre-KOH EMC 2013) to my TJ, I'm interested in some opinions on which I would get the biggest bang for the buck out of:
  • Upgrade rear axle (60, 609, 9", etc)
Or
  • Add and tune triple bypass shocks to the current rear axle

I currently race on 37" radial Rockers bolted to TJ Rubi 44 axles (f/r). They are as built as I can make them (super 44 kits, arb's, trusses, gussets, BBK, custom steering), but they are still just Rubi 44s. Suspension consists of moderately tuned King resi 2.0 C/Os (will need fine tuning in the desert), airbumps, and anti-rock.

Either way, looks like I would be stuck with my front axle. Then there is the Bolt pattern- may have to have 5x4.5 drilled rear d60 shafts (or get a rockjock) , or buy 5x4.5 to 8 lug spacers for the front (I think I saw some through google searching). Rear axle has to have an ARB- the TJ is daily driven. Any opinions on which option would benefit me more in an EMC race?
Rockhound Racing #222 Driver
RCRocs
Ultra4 Modified class
AtoZ Fabrication, Clayton Offroad, Quadratec, Dave's Offroad Supply, Rausch Creek Offroad Park, Extreme Axle, Radflo, Brown Dog Offroad,

Rockhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Do the axle. I'm in same the boat and went with axles. But first thing on your list should be shock tuning. There was a lot of desert. Shit it was all desert.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's

Last edited by hurleygo3; 04-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
Do the axle. I'm in the boat and went with axles. But first thing on your list should be shock tuning. There was a lot of desert. Shit it was all desert.
We've started the initial round of tuning, but being in North Carolina, space is limited for high speed test runs. There are a few more races down here between now and Feb, so hopefully we can get it close, then have King or someone help us out on the lakebed a few days before.

But to your point, that is why I thought this would be a closer decision. Am I crazy to think an 80/20 or 90/10 desert to rocks ratio would open up to allow for smaller axles like mine?

The main reason why this even became a scenario for me was that my rear axle (minus some ring and pinions) has survived through a few races now in the South. However, I have to drive under the limitations of these axles, so I can't bounce off of rocks and hop up hill climbs the way some of the better built rigs do.

I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I understand the need to have bigger and stronger axles and agree with what has been posted, I was just curious because of the specific layout of the EMC (not as technical), if I would benefit from more shock vs. a bigger axle. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3196
Ho's cant tell a Rubi 44 from a Spider9, but they KNOW what a bypass is!!!!

Rob
UTV #1999
Husqvarna 400 #19

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]MJ Motorsports[/COLOR]
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Originally Posted by yield2me View Post
Ho's cant tell a Rubi 44 from a Spider9, but they KNOW what a bypass is!!!!

Rob
I'm not too proud to admit the bling factor could be clouding my judgement.

Doesn't really matter at this point anyway. I picked up the jeep from the fab shop today and we had a long discussion about it- essentially I would have to completely redo my coilover mounts and frame sections to get the bipasses to work.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I'm not too proud to admit the bling factor could be clouding my judgement.

Doesn't really matter at this point anyway. I picked up the jeep from the fab shop today and we had a long discussion about it- essentially I would have to completely redo my coilover mounts and frame sections to get the bipasses to work.
lol....sometimes decisions are made for you!! Axle it is!
UTV #1999
Husqvarna 400 #19

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]MJ Motorsports[/COLOR]
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Axles. It's a waste of time to upgrade shocks, then redoing things to fit... only to then later upgrade the axles and redo it all over again.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 20394
People are going to jump on me for this, but 96.2% of people that have bypasses don't even need them.

Thank you all for your support

Widia Cutting Tools

Sterling Autosport

PSC

Ruffstuff

Tom Woods Drive Shafts

Buckon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
People are going to jump on me for this, but 96.2% of people that have bypasses don't even need them.
Whoa bro, see those seat covers? That's elephant foreskin, died neon green!
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 50632
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckon37s View Post
people are going to jump on me for this, but 96.2% of people that have bypasses don't even need them.

:d

Fox Shocks
ZukIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 80470
Bigger axles will get you to the end of the race but blingy bypasses will get you laid!
DESracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Whoa bro, see those seat covers? That's elephant foreskin, dyed Monster Energy green!
FTFY
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
I have no idea where you're getting your numbers......but I'd be willing to wager that you're not terribly far off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in