Rod End tech/preference... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 69819
Rod End tech/preference...

Im gathering parts to do a front 3 link on my 02 Grand Cherokee. I've spent ALOT of time searching what seems like an endless sea of rod ends/johnny joints. In searching for 1.25" shank joints, I have seen prices from $39.99 (Trail gear) to $99.95 (Currie). I have lots of fab experience, but I have not scratch-built a suspension before. Which joints are preferred by the masses, and why? My rig sees 80% street/ 20%trails.
dr hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 141351
RuffStuff for basic long lasting, proven strong and well backed heims

EMF for ultimate, rebuildable, lifetime warranty rodends

JJ's... I got nothing.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69819
So even for a mostly street driven rig I should go with heims>jjs? I know I sound like a stoopid fawkin noob But I only want to do this once.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 141351
decision time.
no experience with driving either on the road, that said most will say JJ absorb a bit of vibes, where as a heim will transmit more vibes.

imo, if your building a suspension, you're probably running a larger/meatier tire, bought some good shocks, and understand you're not driving a caddy... so a few vibes can be dealt with.

decision time.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 69819
I'm running a modified rubicon express 5" TJ lift kit with RE shocks and 33" km2s. I'm not too worried about a few vibes... I just want to do things right the first time around. My main concern is durability of the different joints on something that sees alot of street time. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by dr hook; 04-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8108
Standard 1.25" Johnny Joints last forever compared to any rod end or cartridge joint that I have ever seen. Ruff Stuff heims can be stronger and if you were building an Ultra4 car I would say to go that way. For your application the Johnny Joints win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

570-385-3931--shop
570-385-3932--fax

MADE IN AMERICA---and proud of it!!!

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on

We also offer the best service and prices available on:
Advance Adapters
Clayton Offroad Suspension
Raceline beadlocks wheels
ORI struts and Radflo shocks
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 52518
For a mainly street driven truck, I would do a poly bushing on one end and a ruff stuff heim on the other. Keeps the cost down and still allows you some adjustability.
vegask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
Standard 1.25" Johnny Joints last forever compared to any rod end or cartridge joint that I have ever seen. Ruff Stuff heims can be stronger and if you were building an Ultra4 car I would say to go that way. For your application the Johnny Joints win.
I agree 100%

I've been running my long arms with johnny joints on most corners with bushings on the rest for damn near 6 years now. I've never had to touch any of the large johnny joints, but had to replace the inserts in one of the small ones a few months ago due to a little slop. The rebuild cost me a whopping $8

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 69819
So, with the general consensus being JJs, do I need to fork out the $$$ for the curries, or are any of the cheaper options worthwhile? Thanks again for the info, I had a sneaking suspicion that I would get told to gargle a bowl of dicks

Edit- AP, are you running a radius arm setup? Its been a while since I looked at your build and I couldn't remember...

Last edited by dr hook; 04-25-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42341
Yep I'm on radius arms, a modified Claytons setup actually. I just pulled this pic up for another thread a few days ago. The UCA has the small JJ at the lower control arm, ruffstuff polys at the axle. The lower control arms have JJ's at the frame and factory jeep rubber bushings at the axle.
The rear LCA's are johnny joints at the frame, factory jeep bushings at the axle. UCA's are factory bushings at the frame, johnny joints at the axle. I see that combination damn near ideal for what I have (radius arms and single triangulated rear)

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46071
johnny Joints for 5 + years now without touching them....
Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 138167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hook View Post
So, with the general consensus being JJs, do I need to fork out the $$$ for the curries, or are any of the cheaper options worthwhile? Thanks again for the info, I had a sneaking suspicion that I would get told to gargle a bowl of dicks

Edit- AP, are you running a radius arm setup? Its been a while since I looked at your build and I couldn't remember...
I also agree with JJ's for you application. The Grand being a unibody will transfer a bunch of road noise and such. Rod ends would be worse than a JJ that has a softer urethane bushing encased ball.

As for the cost of the JJ's- Currie makes a forged 1-1/4" shank x 2.5" Body x 2-5/8" mounting version that most people buy for $41.95 seen here... https://dirt-fab.3dcartstores.com/2-...idth_p_66.html This is the JJ most people are running. The $99 version JJ is a billet chromoly version, which would be total overkill IMO for your application.

e-mail:

Phone: 510-502-8508
Dirt-Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakie View Post
EMF for ultimate, rebuildable, lifetime warranty rodends
The EMF joints will outlast a JJ. Great product. More than a few Ultra4 buggies running these joints.

There is no replacement for displacement!
J Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 51174
Standard $41.99 1.25" jj. No need for the forged unit on this application. Greasable, rebuildable, very strong.
lucasbranham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 69819
Awesome info here. Thanks for the help everyone, looks like I will be running JJs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in