05+ super duty front 60 under a JK/TJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 72707
05+ super duty front 60 under a JK/TJ

I am starting to plan my next build. Going to start with a 04-06 LJ or a 2013 JK 4 door. After reading about the new Dana 60's in the super duty's, I was thinking it would be a good candidate for a swap. Big axle tubes, 35 spline inners and outers, big breaks, giant knuckles... Only concern is the lack of axle tube on the driver side. They have the mounts cast in for a 4 link, so that might work fine, probably would do a 3 link...

I read someone that there might be a problem with the pumpkin being too far over and might hit the frame....

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated...
X-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 162931
I've got my brackets tacked on as we speak... It's an 07 jk , lots guys over on jko that have made them work.... I'm going to run a 3 link and the driver lower control mount is gonna have to be welded to the diff...I'm a little nervous but I got some nic55 electrodes so will see if it holds up......as for everything else it should clear.... I did have to move my brackets outwards an inch . I wish I could of held out for a 79 and have more tube to work with. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12370
You don't need any tube to work with. The works already done with the mounts that are casted in.

If it hits the frame... move the frame!

That reminds me of my favorite quote I've ever read on Pirate. IIRC it was Scott @ Rock Stomper that said... "My tires used to rub, then I cut the hood, they don't rub any more."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mrtwstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Ha ha ha. That is funny. My problem with moving the frame on that side is the steering box is there. I know te super duty 60 wont bolt in, buti don't want to sazall off the front of the frame on a brand new JK. Hopefully someone who has one installed can post some pictures so I can get an idea of what I will be working with.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 111999
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
My problem with moving the frame on that side is the steering box is there.
Full hydro.
problem solved.
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 72707
not on a street driven jeep, hydro assist probably, but pretty sure i will want to keep a steering box. on a trail rig with full hydro, if the power steering pump goes out you get pissed off, and get a friend to tow you back to the trail head. On the highway with full hydro, if your PS pump goes out, you die
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 140878
IIRC if it's done correctly, you can steer with dead pump or stalled engine. It's possible to drive high speed also.
TrailTamer XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 189986
I put an 05 sd 60 under my 07 Jk. I cut all the factory crap off. Made enough room for a btf truss I used and Fabbed the rest. I drilled through the cast into the actual tube in a couple of spots and plug welded my truss on the driver side.

Also left a couple inches of bracketry that comes off the tube. Welded my truss to this. I'm not welded to the cast housing anywhere. I did weld my homeade highsteer to the cast knuckles.

There is a guy on here ford tech guru I think. He is working on getting some knuckles made for the 05 and newer sd axles.

The 05 sd 60 is a beast.
jeff76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
I put an 05 sd 60 under my 07 Jk. I cut all the factory crap off. Made enough room for a btf truss I used and Fabbed the rest. I drilled through the cast into the actual tube in a couple of spots and plug welded my truss on the driver side.

Also left a couple inches of bracketry that comes off the tube. Welded my truss to this. I'm not welded to the cast housing anywhere. I did weld my homeade highsteer to the cast knuckles.

There is a guy on here ford tech guru I think. He is working on getting some knuckles made for the 05 and newer sd axles.

The 05 sd 60 is a beast.
Do you have any pictures of what you did? How did you handle the ABS sensors etc... I am struggling with the decision to use a set of late model SD axles or just beef up the stock axles under a 2013 rubicon... I figure the upgrades to the JK axles will cost we $2600 without steering upgrades... (RCV axles, alloy usa in the back, gears, inner axle sleeve, outer axle shell, gear install kits. Guys on the JK forum say that will hold up fine to 37/38" tires.

Alternatively, a pair of axles out of a late model super duty would cost about 1500, gears 700, instal kits 200, arb lockers 2000, front truss 350. so just about $5000...

If I sold the stock rubicon axles for 1500-2000, it seems like I could do the 60's for about the same money, assuming I could get them to fit. Obviously I would still need stuff like coil pads, link and shock tabs etc... And that would be using stock axle shafts, not chromo RCVs....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 189986
I didn't use any of the sensors. I have no speedo, other than that it's fine. I know how fast im going by watching the tach. I have a build thread in hardcore.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Yeah, some of those simple things that can be worked around will be required for me due to being on the street and having a wife. Has anyone successfully used a late model SD front and got all the speed and ABS sensors to work?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Yeah, some of those simple things that can be worked around will be required for me due to being on the street and having a wife. Has anyone successfully used a late model SD front and got all the speed and ABS sensors to work?
You only need one tone ring for the speedo to work and it does not have to be on the axle. Toss a reluctor on the t-case output with adjusted teeth number or just run one on the rear.
ABS on the other hand will require all 4.

If the SD60 has tone rings it should not be hard to modify to allow the JK to read it.

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 111999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer XJ View Post
IIRC if it's done correctly, you can steer with dead pump or stalled engine. It's possible to drive high speed also.
I've got PSC full hydro steering and the motor does not need to be on to steer it. It's a common misconception that full hydro on the street = bus load of dead nuns. No worries if you dont want to use it, but it's good to be aware of the options.
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcJay View Post
I've got PSC full hydro steering and the motor does not need to be on to steer it. It's a common misconception that full hydro on the street = bus load of dead nuns. No worries if you dont want to use it, but it's good to be aware of the options.
I understand what you are saying, and you are right, it is possible to steer, not easily, but possible without the motor running, but not possible without fluid. If your pump shits the bed, you will more than likely loose all your fluid and be ass out. If you get a leak or split a line, you loose all your fluid and you are screwed... At least with a box, even with no fluid you still have a mechanical link
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
What happens if you break a sector shaft in your gear box? Dunno just throwing out possibilities while we are here.

inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 72707
Quote:
Originally Posted by inphobic View Post
What happens if you break a sector shaft in your gear box? Dunno just throwing out possibilities while we are here.
true and noted... You are right. Anything can break. A tie rod end, a knuckle, anything...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 189986
Quote:
I drive on the street but i got ride of the wife.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Quote:
Anything can break. A tie rod end, a knuckle, anything...
Not a knuckle. Not on that axle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in