Having trouble with propane setup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
SOS

Member # 6355
Having trouble with propane setup

I have recently installed propane in my toyota powerd suzuki samurai. Every thing seems to be working fine but I still have not gotten the engine to run. I have spark (with a MSD). and the propane is going from the tank to the fuel lock off and when vacume is applyed the the lock off it flows to the regulator. I took the regulator apart to check what was going on there and all the diphrams are in good shape and everything else seemed to be in working order. the intake is producing vacume to activate the regulator but every thing is still a no go ( 225 mixer is working) this is such a simple setup I don't understand what is wrong. any Ideas will help at this point
Thanks
Keith
SOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2003, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4001
New lock out? Try pulling the line off of the moxer and sucking on it to activate it while trying to start it...if you taste propane, then it probably has a tear in the inner diaphram..rebuilding it is very easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scout Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
SOS

Member # 6355
I tried the lock out test and it is functioning properly no propane taste the propane is definalty geting past that. I'm down right confused about what it could be
Thanks
Keith

Old 01-03-2003, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Did you adjust the timing to compensate for the propane set up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
SOS

Member # 6355
No, I have to adjust the timing? How should it be adjusted?
Thanks
Keith
Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4001
"Propane engines seem to operate better with slightly advanced (as compared to gasoline) ignition timing profiles at engine speeds below 1500 rpm, approximately the OEM timing advance at 2000 rpm, and approximately 5 to 10 retarded from OEM at 3,000 rpm.

Propane engines with compression ratios in the range of 8.0 to 1 to about 8.5 to 1 should have initial timing around 8 btdc with a total of no more than 48, all in by 3,000 rpm.

Engines with compression ratios from 8.8 to 1 to about 9.2 to 1 should have an initial timing of no more than 6 btdc and a total of 38 to 42 btdc, also in by 3,000 rpm.

Engines with compression ratios from 9.3 to about 9.6 to 1 should have an initial timing of no more than 4 and a total advance of 38 btdc, by 2600 rpm.

Engines over 9.8 to 1 (and no more than 11.0 to 1) should have the initial timing set at 4 with a total timing of 32 btdc by 2600 rpm."

All from here

Old 01-03-2003, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
SOS

Member # 6355
Thanks I will give that a shot
Keith
Old 01-03-2003, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 800
just out of curiosity you have tried to start it with your foot on the gas? I don't know why but my propane bus will not fire up unless I have it matted, as soon as it lights it will idle at -30 celcius.
anyone have an explanation for this?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
rdv

Member # 11878
I don't know about your setup, but my Impco 300A is extremely sensitive to vacuum leaks. Even the tiniest vacuumleak will mean i'll have to start it on gasoline.

Telltale signs of vacuumleaks: unstable idle, and fluctuating vacuumreadings.

Another simple test: with the engine running: blow gas from e.g. a soldering torch at the suspect gaskets and seals. If the idle rpm changes (goes up) the engine obviously sucks in a bit of extra fuel through the leak. This also works with brake cleaner, which is a bit more dangerous, just imagine what will happen when you accidentaly spray any flammable liquid on an exhaust header for instance..
rdv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2003, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
DUG
Granite Guru

Member # 858
Send a message via AIM to DUG
Quote:
Originally posted by mytzlflick
just out of curiosity you have tried to start it with your foot on the gas? I don't know why but my propane bus will not fire up unless I have it matted, as soon as it lights it will idle at -30 celcius.
anyone have an explanation for this?
Normally it is because the idle is set a bit low and the motor will not make the vacum needed to open the lock or activate themixer without the throttle plates open more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in